• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
"okay 30 more turns then I'm done. Just let me finish this research."
*156 turns later*
"F U C K"
Most of the time I don't even try to go for victory conditions, I play it like an rpg but on a society-wide scale. Never go above Noble. Wonder hoard. On standard, this translates to half-assed time/culture/science wins given I've made it that far; I usually just quit half way through a game, especially if it's already reached the point where the game's decided.

I usually don't play vanilla though, espec. III and IV. I swear I've spent as much time browsing the civfanatics creation & customization subforums as I've spent actually playing the game (and I've spent a lot of fucking time playing civ :avbehh). When you have more space on your hard drive dedicated to mods than all of your pirated media combined you've got problems fam :snoop.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Sleeping Dogs is the best game of last year not named The Last of Us. Shit was hot and repayable beyond belief.

But Rogue Legacy is GOAT

Skyrim got better after like 20-30 mods were installed. Out of box that game is pretty fucking dull.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
primarily a console guy but Sleeping Dogs is a game I just HAD to play on PC. that game blew me away when it first came out. it's underrated for sure. probably wouldn't be in my top 10 tho.

never played Skyrim. just don't care for Bethesda games for whatever reason.

I play it like an rpg but on a society-wide scale.
snoop.png
snoop.png
snoop.png

Camp Lo

Banned
primarily a console guy but Sleeping Dogs is a game I just HAD to play on PC. that game blew me away when it first came out. it's underrated for sure. probably wouldn't be in my top 10 tho.

never played Skyrim. just don't care for Bethesda games for whatever reason.

WHAT THE FUCK? Breh....
e5fXW.png

IrishNinja

esh/co rank FEAR so high i feel i should give it a go on a legit platform, given the PS3 port was booty & all

The story in FF8 was indeed pretty damn bad and squall was awful. But it's still my favorite post FF6 game of the series for the magic system (I don't know why it worked for me but draining spells and stocking them up just hit that right hoarding itch for me) the world map, the cities, enemies, and everything else really. It was only emo squall that was truly awful.

okay see shit-talking aside, the tetra/whatever card thing was cool and i know i didn't do the draw system right. the OST & bits of the game were indeed fantastic, i'll admit.

I'm not into skyrim. But I played it on consoles. Shit got old quick for me.

i got your back, cast

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We need to agree on a thread title.

GAF-Hop |OT12| Top Dud Entertainment
GAF-Hop |OT12| Love your sons, brehs
GAF-Hop |OT12| Fuck CountBlackule

IrishNinja

i'm okay with any of those

we're a group that had an OT named after fingers in the butthole, so the bar's not incredibly high overall

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Skyrim was really fucking good, but man the loot system was trash. For such a massive and detailed game, having so few weapon and armor types and variations is inexcusable. Even downloading mods from the workshop doesn't help much. You just end up with 30 different armor sets that are all exactly the same strength.

Can't list top ten of last gen, just of all time.

1. Super Metroid
2. Legend of Zelda: LTTP
3. Diablo 2
4. Castlevania SOTN
5. FF6
6. Total Annihilation
7. Metroid Prime
8. Resident Evil 4
9. Chrono Trigger
10. Final Fantasy Tactics

The rest of the top 30 in no order:
Mario Galaxy, Super Mario World, Civ 4, Fallout 3 and NV, Skyrim, Oblivion, Far Cry 3, Just Cause 2, RDR, Saints Row 2, Crackdown, Borderlands 2, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, Super Mario Kart, Privateer, Need for Speed Underground 2, Forza 2, FF8, Goldeneye.
Shit I know I'm forgetting stuff.

Dereck

I'm reupping this tape Biz suggested because it's fucking fire and people are sleeping on this shit waiting for mediocre major releases.

It's a brilliant modernized take on boom bap. Was gonna make it part of the bandcamp verses, but it was already posted once before
Copped

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Top 10 Video Games of All Time

1. FFVI
2. Baldur's Gate II
3. Deus Ex
4. Morrowind
5. FF Tactics
6. FFVII
7. Chrono Trigger
8. Super Mario 3
9. Fallout: New Vegas
10. Bioshock: Infinite

Could make the cut on any given Sunday: Minecraft, Diabo 1, Starcraft, Batman: Arkham City/Asylum, Mass Effect, KOTOR 1, Vampire: The Masquerade, Metal Gear Solid 1, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X-Men Legends

overcast

this one's great for both print and web: https://sumry.in/

and a good 2-column starting template: https://app.box.com/s/91d3tmsx011qorpkqnqf
Thanks a lot man.

Top 10 games of last gen (No two from one series. No DS):
1) Bioshock
2) Rayman Origins
3) The Last of Us
4) Red Dead Redemption
5) Batman Arkham City
6) Portal 2
7) Braid
8) Mario Galaxy
9) Gears of War
10) Dead Space 2

Honorable Mentions: Uncharted 2, COD 4, Dead Rising, Bayonetta, Mass Effect, No More Heroes, Shadow Complex, Halo 3, Sleeping Dogs, God of War 3.

Biggest disappointment: LA Noire + Burnout Paradise

Most Underrated games: Laura Croft and the Guardian of Light + The Darkness

I haven't played quite a few games (Deus Ex, Witcher, Galaxy 2) and I probably forgot something. This reminded me that the Wii suckedddd.

overcast

I've never beat a Zelda, Final Fantasy or MGS. I spent my childhood watching my brothers beat them and enjoyed the hell out of watching the stories + music/visuals. So, I have a strange attachment to the classics. I should buy Majora's Mask 3D probably.

I can't begin to list a favorite games of all time list. That's tough. Same with movies and albums honestly. I only have "favorites" no list.

I've never beat a Zelda, Final Fantasy or MGS. I spent my childhood watching my brothers beat them and enjoyed the hell out of watching the stories + music/visuals. So, I have a strange attachment to the classics. I should buy Majora's Mask 3D probably.

I can't begin to list a favorite games of all time list. That's tough. Same with movies and albums honestly. I only have "favorites" no list.
I've only played 5 minutes of zelda 1 I think. Never played a MGS or final fantasy game either.

I did play Metal Gear Rising, but apparently that doesn't count.

Best Mario games
1. Mario 3
2. SMW
3. Yoshis island

WanderingWind

I can't imagine playing RPGs and never touching a Final Fantasy game. The series has definitely fell off in a way that only 50 Cent fans can understand, but FFIV-FFX had some of the best gaming moments in console history.

Except FFVIII. That game was garbage. Art direction and the card game were the only good elements in there. Grind while you grind magic system, mash square button summons, mass amnesia, teachers trying to bang their high school students, true love that manifested 4 seconds after the couple meet, ridiculous even for a series that has giant chickens as a form of transportation gunblades, emo Squall, sniper guy who can't shoot and the most forgettable cast of characters in any FF series since the Red Mage x 4 days.

Cheddahz

Banned
the overlap between KH fans & people who enjoyed the "story" of FF VIII must be staggering

Kingdom Hearts is literally fan-fiction

props to everyone who dug Sleeping Dogs, that game ended up being so much better than GTAV (and I still want to grab the Xbox One version of Sleeping Dogs when it's cheap, even though I think I already own it for every damn system)

enzo trash

I can't imagine playing RPGs and never touching a Final Fantasy game. The series has definitely fell off in a way that only 50 Cent fans can understand, but FFIV-FFX had some of the best gaming moments in console history.

I stand by this man.

except for all that FFVIII garbage you was spewing. Apart from that..

I stand by this man.

Courage

Top 10 games of last gen:

1. The Last Of Us
  2. The Witcher 2
  3. Bayonetta
  4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  5. Fallout 3
  6. Red Dead Redemption
  7. Sleeping Dogs
  8. Shadow Complex
  9. Arkham City
  10. Bioshock Infinite

You know what? imma bless yall with the GOAT list from CountGoatule

TOP 3 LAST GEN:

1. Street Fighter 4
2. Lost Odyssey
3. Halo 3

Can't think of the rest tbh

Courage

Yeah, I left out a shitload of games I loved (Deus Ex HR, Dishonored, Mass Effect 2) which I'd rank pretty high. I'd probably need to look at my Xbox profile to have a proper top 10.

WanderingWind

Oh, Dishonored would be in my top 10 of last gen for sure. Great game. I want a more expanded version of that for this gen pretty badly.

Also, GTA is a weird series. Everybody buys it, loves it enough to give it 11/10s and then it's promptly forgotten. I've never really been much of a fan, but I keep buying the damn things, playing enough so that I get sick of the radio stations and never touch them again.

Camp Lo

Banned
YlVGJ.png
All time list
YlVGJ.png

1. Super Castlevania IV
  2. Megaman 3
  3. GTA: San Andreas
  4. Gunstar Heroes
  5. Chrono Cross
  6. Final Fantasy IX
  7. Tekken 3
  8. Bully
  9. Halo: CE
  10. Castlevania: SOTN

HiResDes

Count's list is straight up ass. Here's my last gen list.

1. The Last of Us
2. X-Com
3. Mass Effect 2
4. SFIV
5. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Bioshock
8. Mirror's Edge
9. Skate
10.Dishonored

Honorable Mention: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Sleeping Dogs, Kingdom of Amalur, Condemned, Deadly Premonition, Fallout 3, Portal 2

Nier had a deep inventory and some okay combat, but what a tedious and ugly game to play overall... And I nearly 100 percent even going through the most bullshit farming and fishing tasks to grab all of the weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom