• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
Cheddahz's Top Ten (Last Gen)

1: Lost Odyssey
2: Nier
3: Dragon's Dogma
4: Tekken Tag Tournament 2
5: Metal Gear Rising
6: Sleeping Dogs
7: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
8: Catherine
9: Rock Band 3
10: Tales of Vesperia

Honorable Mentions: Virtua Fighter 5, Grand Theft Auto IV, Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher 2, Shadows of the Damned, Skate 2, Mass Effect Trilogy, Yakuza 4 (haven't beaten it yet)

overcast

Nier, that was a great game too. I was a pretty big XBLA player, so many gems. Braid really blew my mind.

Does anyone else have trouble listing definitive goat lists in things they love? I struggle so much.

HiResDes

I wanted to love Nier and Lost Odyssey, but everything about them is antiquated and unintuitive. I think I enjoyed playing through The Last Remnant and resonance of fate more than those.

Esch

Banned
You guys picking oblivion over skyrim are weird as hell. I'll admit that the assassin's storyline in TESIV is pretty legit but the actual game looks like a map editor and plays really badly. The roman-inspired art is pretty tame in execution too. Plus Oblivion gates...probably the worst mechanic in a game all gen. and one of the wackest leveling systems ever. In fact i'd say you downright need the OOO mod / FCOM: Convergence to render Oblivion a good game.

as for lists, i just accept that they change every couple of months and don't get mad about it.

Camp Lo

Banned
kA62T.png
last gen
kA62T.png

1. Arkham City
  2. Lost Odyssey
  3. Guacamelee
  4. God of War 3
  5. Mark of the Ninja
  6. Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
  7. Uncharted 2
  8. Mirror's Edge
  9. Demon's Souls
  10. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Black and 2012)

Nier, that was a great game too. I was a pretty big XBLA player, so many gems. Braid really blew my mind.

Does anyone else have trouble listing definitive goat lists in things they love? I struggle so much.

I struggle putting numbers on them. There's no order to me, just a bin of gold.

HiResDes

You guys picking oblivion over skyrim are weird as hell. I'll admit that the assassin's storyline in TESIV is pretty legit but the actual game looks like a map editor and plays really badly. The roman-inspired art is pretty tame in execution too. Plus Oblivion gates...probably the worst mechanic in a game all gen. and one of the wackest leveling systems ever. In fact i'd say you downright need the OOO mod / FCOM: Convergence to render Oblivion a good game.

as for lists, i just accept that they change every couple of months and don't get mad about it.
I prefer the story, setting, and aesthetic of Oblivion. Also I enjoyed Shivering Isles more than any of the Skyrim expansions. The guild quests are fucking ass in Skyrim as well.

Shattered Dimensions?

kttcolimyman

This is why I can't really make a list. I'd forget to many games that I've played back in the day.

Lost Odyssey definitely my favourite RPG from the last gen.

Not a fan of WRPG's tbh

Esch

Banned
I prefer the story, setting, and aesthetic of Oblivion. Also I enjoyed Shivering Isles more than any of the Skyrim expansions. The guild quests are fucking ass in Skyrim as well.

Granted we're talking about main quests in a TES game here (complete L) but you prefer Oblivion's story? Shit is super by the numbers, bog standard JRPG/Anime the gates of hell and demons are opening story. Cyrodiil is a good setting for a game, but they didn't execute well on it for the lore imo. The province is supposed to be extremely roman in the center and then incorporate elements of the surrounding provinces as you go farther out, and they really only succeeded in like 2 towns from what I can remember.

Also the guild quests in Skyrim are pretty good, except the Mages which was boring and sucky. The
werewolf twist for the warriors?
. The one thing they didn't do right was
make it so that the boss betrays you in both the thieves guild and assassin's guild quests.

HiResDes

The thief's guild was so so disappointing after the fantastic one in Oblivion. I really like the arena and some of the other gimmicks in Oblivion.

Granted we're talking about main quests in a TES game here (complete L) but you prefer Oblivion's story? Shit is super by the numbers, bog standard JRPG/Anime the gates of hell and demons are opening story. Cyrodiil is a good setting for a game, but they didn't execute well on it for the lore imo. The province is supposed to be extremely roman in the center and then incorporate elements of the surrounding provinces as you go farther out, and they really only succeeded in like 2 towns from what I can remember.

Also the guild quests in Skyrim are pretty good, except the Mages which was boring and sucky. The
werewolf twist for the warriors?
. The one thing they didn't do right was
make it so that the boss betrays you in both the thieves guild and assassin's guild quests.

Also joining one guild in Skyrim should literally close off others or something. There should some sort of consequence for particular actions. They got that right in Dawnguard. Choosing a side in the Stormcloak rebellion really didn't make the game different enough either way, except for minor things which was kinda cool.

It seemed weird to be able Archmage/Thief Lord/Assassin Lord/General in Whichever Army you chose, regardless of Class or Skills.

HiResDes

Agree with that, but that was a problem in all the games being able to be an every man and your actions having very little ultimate consequence. It's one of the big things Fallout has over Elder Scrolls.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

Oblivion was my first real experience with the series so it's memorable as hell for me. I had never played a game like it and I can't even begin to count the hours I sunk into it. Skyrim is a vastly better game, but Oblivion has more positive memories attached to it.
I did briefly play daggerfall when it came out but I was so young it just intimidated the fuck out of me and I stopped playing after an hour.

Esch

Banned
Also joining one guild in Skyrim should literally close off others or something. There should some sort of consequence for particular actions. They got that right in Dawnguard. Choosing a side in the Stormcloak rebellion really didn't make the game different enough either way, except for minor things which was kinda cool.

It seemed weird to be able Archmage/Thief Lord/Assassin Lord/General in Whichever Army you chose, regardless of Class or Skills.
They can't do that, it'd enrage casuals. I do think they should set higher skill entry levels and level requirements for quests though. Just to add a little more balancing element into everything.

Daggerfall is stupidly hard and not fun imo.

Courage

That's why Witcher 3 will be legit. It'll have the scale of Skyrim along with the choices you make (like who you side with) have consequences.

That's why Witcher 3 will be legit. It'll have the scale of Skyrim along with the choices you make (like who you side with) have consequences.

I can already tell you that Witcher 3 will be hated by series fans three months after release. It looks way too good to not be a disappointment. That's just how it goes these days.

Mass Effect (1), Dark Souls, Dragon Quest IX and New Vegas were the most worthwhile RPGs this gen.

Witcher 2 runs like shit on my PC for whatever reason so I'll probably never play it. My rig totally should be running it tho. High or low graphics settings the framerate stays below 15.

codhand

Witcher 2
Skyrim
Mario Galaxy
COD4: MW
Uncharted 2
Portal
GTAIV
Mass Effect 2
Crackdown
Gears of War

HM: Braid, Bioshock, Red Dead.

Yup, so hopefully Bethesda actually steps it up in the writing department/ quests now that So many developers are aiming for open world nowadays. Or just continue letting mods make their games good

Esch

Banned
It won't really though. It'll have the size but none of the things like the physics interactions or the freedom of build choice that make the TES games a crazy nonsensical mess of variables.

Game is gonna be really goof though.

Camp Lo

Banned
I can already tell you that Witcher 3 will be hated by series fans three months after release. It looks way too good to not be a disappointment. That's just how it goes these days.

Mass Effect (1), Dark Souls, Dragon Quest IX and New Vegas were the most worthwhile RPGs this gen.

Witcher 2 runs like shit on my PC for whatever reason so I'll probably never play it. My rig totally should be running it tho. High or low graphics settings the framerate stays below 15.

Cop it for 360, that was a competent build. I beat it on that before I had a rig that could play it on PC.

codhand

my only major gripe with Skyrim, was that they needed way more voice actors

nothing like fast-traveling half way across the map to hear the exact same shitty Baltic accent
Russell-Westbrook.png

Guys I'm in the planning phases of PC building. I have a budget of 800-900 dollars but might need a second job to speed along the process. Pretty excited though.

Courage

Guys I'm in the planning phases of PC building. I have a budget of 800-900 dollars but might need a second job to speed along the process. Pretty excited though.

I envy you breh. I know I can't build one cause it'll gather dust with all the schoolwork I have and shit. The Build Your PC thread here is really helpful, so check them out if you need some pointers.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

I have issues with witcher 2 as well. I'm not running the king of computers or anything and I admit my knowledge of computers started to get outdated in the late 90's, but I figured 2.4ghz, 24GB RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M would be enough to run the damn game on at least medium settings, but instead it has me on the lowest settings.

Building a computer was one of the coolest things I've done. Was just super cool getting everything right with very few issues. The only trouble I ran into was figuring out where to connect the little LED wires, and getting the CPU heatsink on without breaking anything lol.

Built it in 2006, still running. Only thing I've had to replace was the GPU. I need another CPU as well, this core 2 duo is getting dustier than my rap interests.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ME1 has aged incredibly poorly, but at the time that game was the shit and I still love the entire franchise. Very memorable and nostalgic, even the shitty exploring sections. Way too many great games last gen to even come up with a top 10. In no particular order:

Halo 3
MvC3
Castle Crashers
PGR4
Team Fortress 2
Portal 2
GTA V
LittleBigPlanet

I guess I'll leave it at that, I know I'm forgetting something big but there are a lot of good HM series (ME, AC, Uncharted, Arkham, CoD, etc.).

I have issues with witcher 2 as well. I'm not running the king of computers or anything and I admit my knowledge of computers started to get outdated in the late 90's, but I figured 2.4ghz, 24GB RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M would be enough to run the damn game on at least medium settings, but instead it has me on the lowest settings.

Yeah my roommate had shittier GPU among other things and it ran just fine.

Not dusting off my 360 for that one game though. I've been trying to get rid of it for years now but nobody wants it.

HiResDes

My PC is still boss, got everything right except I didn't realize my graphics card required two SATA power cables at first and it wouldn't display anything. If you have a microcenter they have the best deals and the new Nvidia cards are a great bang for the buck unless you want to grab an R290, which prices are falling like gangbusters.

Camp Lo

Banned
cosigning microcenter even though the closest one to me is in GA. Every single part I was looking into was like $100+ cheaper at Microcenter.

I was even contemplating driving up there to get my CPU and GPU, would have saved me 300.

Esch

Banned
Still waiting to build a new one. There's some absurd shit going on with requirements right now, gonna chill for a year or two, probably cop a decent laptop while these wastemen start incorporating some low level API's into these games
Q0wlcsB.png

naw

same

planning on ordering everything sometime in december. gonna hit up the PC thread in like a week and ask em if my build looks good

Camp Lo

Banned
Still sitting on 2GB 680, told myself I'd wait till the 900's come out but most of the new games I can't run good are poorly optimized

Nothing beats Spiderman 2 on the original Xbox dude

all that had was GOAT webswinging. SD had everything else.

jordisok

Come to lurk gaf hop for the hot new shit and you're doing damn last gen lists?? Either my brain has stopped functioning or I played like 5 games in the last 7 years :|

overcast

Guys I forgot about Dead Space shit was pretty damn decent and made not care about RE falling off.
Dead Space 1 and 2 were my shit. Shame about how the franchise is dead now. I've never lost interest in a franchise as quick.

1 had better atmosphere than 2, but 2 was more refined. Both had bullshit stories though.

HiResDes

Come to lurk gaf hop for the hot new shit and you're doing damn last gen lists?? Either my brain has stopped functioning or I played like 5 games in the last 7 years :|
Da Bandcamp verses about to continue.

Also playing Alan Wake with Salem's King Knight in the background was one of my favorite pastimes.

Still waiting to build a new one. There's some absurd shit going on with requirements right now, gonna chill for a year or two, probably cop a decent laptop while these wastemen start incorporating some low level API's into these games
Q0wlcsB.png

I was thinking of building a desktop but now I'm leaning towards a laptop in the meanwhile for the same reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom