• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
feeling this

Travis is a good example of someone who actually has a fresh take on trap music

dude is basically just rocky, lex luger and kanye all farted together but w/no charisma and no songwriting besides #trill ktt regurgitated into songs.

jRDU89YzDOP1p.png

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mmmm, can't wait to hear the new $cott. Owl Pharoah grew on me and I ended up getting a lot of milage out of it.

QUINTANAAAAAAAAAA

la flame

batusi.gif

those horror synths. mamacita is really good too.

does anybody know what the main synth-line in quintana 2 is sampling? i swear to god i heard that in some 80s movie or something before.

Esch

Banned
listening to this Travis Scott right now and its decent but I wanna take a minute to
mjlol.png
@ everyone that enjoys this and shits on Spitta or French Montana or whoever. Travis Scott is a pretty decent guy on the boards but he has no bars, flow, song concepts. He's trash. This should be instrumental.

Tokubetsu

listening to this Travis Scott right now and its decent but I wanna take a minute to
mjlol.png
@ everyone that enjoys this and shits on Spitta or French Montana or whoever. Travis Scott is a pretty decent guy on the boards but he has no bars, flow, song concepts. He's trash. This should be instrumental.

You mean Enzo?

HiResDes

Wish I was home brehs. Love Scott, but agree not the best MC, but decent charisma and great conceptually. I don't know how one could talk shit about Isaiah and love Scott as an emcee. Scott is definitely more energetic than spitta and Montana though

Esch

Banned
You mean Enzo?

I guess, pretty much.

Probably Count Blackule too if he downloads this.

ibnBkg6EI4PSEV.gif

Wish I was home brehs. Love Scott, but agree not the best MC, but decent charisma and great conceptually. I don't know how one could talk shit about Isaiah and love Scott as an emcee. Scott is definitely more energetic than spitta and Montana though

Go on? Because to me it seems like he literally can't formulate a proper 16.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
mjlol.png
He has better charisma and personality. But you know what makes the most difference? His songwriting is INFINITELY better. Like.. infinitely. It takes both of them (Spitta less so because he actually has some redeemable traits as an MC) multiple mixtapes to put out a song I should care about. Travi$ Scott outchea seriously gunning for AotY two years in a row.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Everything Travis Scott does seems like a placeholder for an actual rapper to use. Dude is trash.
I can feel this, but then again La Flame also put out a mixtape of pretty much exclusively placeholders and it still had gems on it.

I still want him to give Paradise V3 to Drake. I think Drake could make that a song for the ages.

Esch

Banned
He has better charisma and personality. But you know what makes the most difference? His songwriting is INFINITELY better. Like.. infinitely. It takes both of them (Spitta less so because he actually has some redeemable traits as an MC) multiple mixtapes to put out a song I should care about. Travi$ Scott outchea seriously gunning for AotY two years in a row.

Where is the amazing songwriting? Dude literally just says a bunch of random shit that kinda sounds swaggy but comes off flat as fuck due to Travis Scott's flat garbage affect. He doesn't even flow really. he just says a couple things here and there over hype beats. Real talk though I don't think it's his fault. I just think it's funny that he's so blatantly garbage yet you guys get hyped over him and slate people just like him.

anyway,

Mr. Swag annihilated brehs

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Where is the amazing songwriting? Dude literally just says a bunch of random shit that kinda sounds swaggy but comes off flat as fuck due to Travis Scott's flat garbage affect. He doesn't even flow really. he just says a couple things here and there over hype beats. Real talk though I don't think it's his fault. I just think it's funny that he's so blatantly garbage yet you guys get hyped over him and slate people just like him.

anyway,

Mr. Swag annihilated brehs
I don't know how you can say something swaggily without flow. What songs does this dude not have flow on? I don't even feel there's substance to that claim, he's riding all of these beats properly, and outside of Cruisn USA or whatever that mixtape was, he has done that on all of his music. I freely admit he's a shit lyricist, but I think he can carry himself well over this production without being annoying and can put together a great hook, memorable (if not exactly lyrically complex) verses into some tightly knit songs.

Esch

Banned
I don't know how you can say something swaggily without flow. What songs does this dude not have flow on? I don't even feel there's substance to that claim, he's riding all of these beats properly, and outside of Cruisn USA or whatever that mixtape was, he has done that on all of his music. I freely admit he's a shit lyricist, but I think he can carry himself well over this production without being annoying and can put together a great hook, memorable (if not exactly lyrically complex) verses into some tightly knit songs.

almost everything on owl pharoah. He has no charisma and can't even hit the pockets of records at all. He's like, a discount, dumber version of rocky. Flat, no emphasis, trash. And that's with his bare bones lyrics.

This for example: sounds like some Vocaroo recorded trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji01MtO6sQs

I feel like I should also call out HRD for repeatedly claiming that YG can't rap and has no substance yet bigging this shit up heavy too. Travis Scott makes YG look like 2pac.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
almost everything on owl pharoah. He has no charisma and can't even hit the pockets of records at all. He's like, a discount, dumber version of rocky. Flat, no emphasis, trash. And that's with his bare bones lyrics.

This for example: sounds like some Vocaroo recorded trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji01MtO6sQs

I feel like I should also call out HRD for repeatedly claiming that YG can't rap and has no substance yet bigging this shit up heavy too. Travis Scott makes YG look like 2pac.
lmao @ posting an unfinished reference track that leaked out, that wasn't even on the album

Here is the finished version. Surprise surprise, he's riding that beat fantastic. If you listened to owl pharaoh prequel that was essentially just a bunch of reference tracks, I highly suggest you go and listen to the actual tape. Drive, Quintana, Bandz, Shit On You/Bad Mood, no problem with flow on that entire project.

naw

owl pharaoh is fucking trash let's not get ahead of ourselves

but days before radio, that's powerful music

like travis just made an entire song about how he's trapped in his conscious. you guys need to wake up

Esch

Banned
lmao @ posting an unfinished reference track that leaked out, that wasn't even on the album

Here is the finished version. Surprise surprise, he's riding that beat fantastic. If you listened to owl pharaoh prequel that was essentially just a bunch of reference tracks, I highly suggest you go and listen to the actual tape. Drive, Quintana, Bandz, Shit On You/Bad Mood, no problem with flow on that entire project.

Actually I listened to the Prequel AND official Owl Pharoah (I posted my review back in OT9(?) and you actually told me to listen to the prequel because it was supposedly better), etc. I haven't listened to that Cruisin USA tape though, or anything else of his before that that might be out there. Dude just pieces together random little strings of swag shit half the time, and verses the other half.

Yall should really enjoy Metro. I cannot wait to play it again. Really had a great time playing both of them and the first game certainly had flaws so I'm looking forward to going through it with some of the changes

Esch

Banned
Yall should really enjoy Metro. I cannot wait to play it again. Really had a great time playing both of them and the first game certainly had flaws so I'm looking forward to going through it with some of the changes

First one was awesome but i'm gonna upgrade before I sink my teeth into two. Fun game, even if it is eurojanky and broken. But at least it feels cool.

First one was awesome but i'm gonna upgrade before I sink my teeth into two. Fun game, even if it is eurojanky and broken. But at least it feels cool.

Yeah, Last Light doesn't contain any of that eurojank so I'm looking forward to 2033 feeling more like that one. I'm going to wait awhile myself too

Esch

Banned
Yeah, Last Light doesn't contain any of that eurojank so I'm looking forward to 2033 feeling more like that one. I'm going to wait awhile myself too

Yea the stealth gameplay in the first was a fuckin joke lol, I wonder what it's gonna be like retooled. TBH i'd like to see 4A develop something like an RPG or a space FPS game or something. I think their talent is wasted a little on grimdark Soviet aesthetic.
STALKER is one of the goat games i've played. these euro-jank developers are kings of atmosphere.

On the low, eurojank developers in holes have slowly put Japanese gaming in 3rd place. Only gonna get more apparent as consoles stagnate, tbh

ASAP Rocky actually compliments his production and strings together some interesting shit. When he's on his game, it's almost like a musical version of someone stringing together a complex combo in a fighting game. Whereas Travis Scott is like a swag version of Freeway: each time you think he's going to hit a wave he crashes and kills the momentum. No wonder so much of the praise he gets seems to focus on the production and hooks.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
first time listening to a Travi$ Scott project over here.

production is cool. interesting twist on trap without feeling too same-y, which has always been my main problem with that shit. also surprisingly layered. can see why Kanye reached out to him.

he isn't great on the mic but I'm not really finding him annoying so far.

edit: WHY IS BIG SEAN HERE. WHY WHY WHY WHY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom