• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Dunno, with the way Punch and Top Dawg send subliminal at Drake I kinda feel like they could do it out of hubris. They'll get paid either way. Kendrick is definitely a big name but he's just not on Drake's level. I'm not sure anyone is right now outside of Eminem. Dude is throwing out random tracks online and they're charting like singles. Not even Jay can do that, although he obviously has had tracks that made noise (Dear Summer and the record about Cuba/Obama).

BTW yall think Kendrick hurt himself by staying quiet all year?

Depends on your definition of "hurt" I guess.

Lowered his buzz or an overall negative? Nah.

Missed opportunity? Possibly.

Esch

Banned

I think it would have been more acceptable if people enjoyed his features throughout the year. But they didn't. So you been feeding people mediocre appetizers and making people wait. Meanwhile Drake is going the dim sum route, and the results haven't been bad. People still know he runs the rap game for all intents and purposes.

Hurt himself is probably a stretch. But like cdyhybrid said, maybe he missed an opportunity to grow his brand.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dunno, with the way Punch and Top Dawg send subliminal at Drake I kinda feel like they could do it out of hubris. They'll get paid either way. Kendrick is definitely a big name but he's just not on Drake's level. I'm not sure anyone is right now outside of Eminem. Dude is throwing out random tracks online and they're charting like singles. Not even Jay can do that, although he obviously has had tracks that made noise (Dear Summer and the record about Cuba/Obama).

I mean, none of us are excited as we could be, especially considering that flow is something that needs to be contained. If he stayed completely silent, maybe there would be more mystery and allure like there was for GKMC. But no, instead everyone is riding around listening to 0-100 real quick.

I really feel like Drake could pull a boss move and release his album on the same day as Kendrick's. He'd essentially be lapping him on a racing track.

Drake's a bitch not an asshole

Nah dude is both. I already told yall he's the type to go on a date with that hot chick from HS who dissed him, just to get revenge. Have her in the lambo giving him head while he says "remember when you laughed when I asked if you wanted to come to my bar mitzvah? Now look at you, sucking my off white dick." Dude is insecure breh. I can definitely see him doing it, all while claiming it wasn't his intention.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You see, Kendrick securing all this top talent production-wise should be exciting to me, but he's always had fantastic production so changing some names around doesn't do much for the main worries (his delivery and content). It may be a bit dramatic to say content is a worry, but after you put out an album that you say contains pretty much everything you've wanted to say about your life experience to that point, where do you go that doesn't feel underwhelming or repetitive?

Not to mention his direct competition (Drake) is one who not only avoided the sophomore slump, but someone who can evolve his sound like pretty much every artist but a select few can't.

HiResDes

Z5Bz8aD.png
Real

cdyhybrid

You see, Kendrick securing all this top talent production-wise should be exciting to me, but he's always had fantastic production so changing some names around doesn't do much for the main worries (his delivery and content). It may be a bit dramatic to say content is a worry, but after you put out an album that you say contains pretty much everything you've wanted to say about your life experience to that point, where do you go that doesn't feel underwhelming or repetitive?

Not to mention his direct competition (Drake) is one who not only avoided the sophomore slump, but someone who can evolve his sound like pretty much every artist but a select few can't.

Not like there's a lack of stuff going on if you want to keep rapping about conscious stuff.

Ferguson, police state, etc. etc.

He's definitely still working with THC/Sounwave and all those cats still for sure.

I know he has a track with Pete Rock and this picture that came out

and don't forget

DJ Dahi (behind Money Trees), Thundercat and Sounwave.. :whew:

Esch

Banned
Nah dude is both. I already told yall he's the type to go on a date with that hot chick from HS who dissed him, just to get revenge. Have her in the lambo giving him head while he says "remember when you laughed when I asked if you wanted to come to my bar mitzvah? Now look at you, sucking my off white dick." Dude is insecure breh. I can definitely see him doing it, all while claiming it wasn't his intention.

Real talk I think I'd like Drake more if he wasn't so overwhelmingly negative and bitter about his experiences with people. At least when Jigga rapped about being ugly/broke and getting turned down by hoes and then getting all the vagina he can handle now that he's rich, he was at least happy sounding to be there. That's one of the (many) reasons I can't fvck with the Weeknd and Drake. You've never heard a man more upset that he was getting to bust a nut.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not like there's a lack of stuff going on if you want to keep rapping about conscious stuff.

Ferguson, police state, etc. etc.
True, I also imagine conversations with Kanye during the Yeezus tour about black power, modern slavery, etc. could also influence that.

Maybe Kendrick can give me the WTT I wanted.

He's definitely still working with THC/Sounwave and all those cats still for sure.

I know he has a track with Pete Rock and this picture that came out

and don't forget

DJ Dahi (behind Money Trees), Thundercat and Sounwave.. :whew:
Yeah I slept on this when it was posted but this is comforting.

To be fair, Kendrick has also said that there are darker stories he can tell. I'm not worried about the narrative, even though I know a lot of people will automatically dismiss it as either being too much like GKMC or not enough like GKMC ("it's not as thematically consistent!"). Which goes back to my view that he can't win.

Not worried about the flow either. He has recorded scores of demos and is experimenting...I like that. To often in rap there's very little focus on using a studio properly, and not as a place to make hundreds of throwaway tracks (see: MMG) that drain your creativity.

He's working with some heavy bass producers (Thundercat, Pete Rock, Quik, etc). He'll be weaving in and out of beats, I'm sure.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm kind of feeling The Prayer most off of Days Before Rodeo right now.

let's be clear though, i cant go a day without finessin'

overcast

Any non youtube footage of that video for Witcher 3?

Batman Arkham Knight is what I'm looking forward to the most, but I haven't played Witcher 2.

IrishNinja

2015 is gonna be crazy: Persona 5, Zelda, Uncharted, maybe Silent Hills, Yakuza 6, tons of stuff

i hope i find time for Witcher~

Cheddahz

Banned
the best thing about the witcher 3 is once it comes out, they can start working on that sc-fi rpg! oh and i'm worried about persona 5 at this point, but i'll still buy it day one, cause like, i dig jrpgs (sometimes)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty much none of the games y'all looking forward to align with what I'm looking forward to.

Bloodborne, Halo 5, Splatoons, The Division, Tomb Raider maybe.

Nothing that really stands out as clearly GotY 2015 though.

overcast

Naw. The videos may be corny (though some are fun) but it has raised tons of profit. People getting upset over the ice water challenge is weird because it has been wildly successful. Lets be real, it takes dumb shit to catch our attention sometimes, for better or for worse. Definitely worked this time.
the best thing about the witcher 3 is once it comes out, they can start working on that sc-fi rpg! oh and i'm worried about persona 5 at this point, but i'll still buy it day one, cause like, i dig jrpgs (sometimes)
Cyberpunk 2077!!!

Pretty much none of the games y'all looking forward to align with what I'm looking forward to.

Bloodborne, Halo 5, Splatoons, The Division, Tomb Raider maybe.

Nothing that really stands out as clearly GotY 2015 though.

I'm over from software after dark souls 2. I don't got time for that shit

The division tho, that looks STRAIGHT UP

Cheddahz

Banned
Far Cry 4 is he only game that matters

motherfucking elephants

yo, after playing far cry 3, i'm not even going to play far cry 4

far cry 3 had some good ideas, but ubi made that game too easy (for my tastes)

but y'know what? bayonetta 2 finally comes out soon and i'll be happy whenever i get to go pick up my copy of it

overcast

Far Cry 4 is he only game that matters

motherfucking elephants
Doubt this comes this year, unfortunately. PS4 brahs, I'm jumping in next month, we'll need to trade accounts. Play some 2K or something.

I think Bloodborne looks terrific, but I haven't played any Souls games, and Bayonetta 2 looks dope as fuck. Even MGS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom