• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually underlining this whole thing is a legitimately poor comprehension of Nas' very essence as an artist and perhaps as a man from people that claim to be fans
jAwQ2LYw3OpHl.png

There are moments on Droog's tape that are just too provincial in terms of worldview and ambition. There's an unmistakable bandcampesque narrowness of vision there that gives it all away. Despite the intricacy of some of Droog's lyrics, there's a distinct laptop life late 80's-90s kid sensibility to how the tape feels, sounds and is written. others that come off as too vulnerable (the getting turned down by a girl bars are a classic example). Ultimately Gnausier Jones is a egoist much like his one time nemesis Hov. You think a guy that's spent as much of his time bragging about how he fuccs is going to show that kind of vulnerability? A guy who was full of himself enough to put himself on a cross and a crown of thorns in a dumb single about being disliked? A guy who tried to turn his broken heart about being dumped into an album about personal triumph?

Indeed the question here is, do you fools listen to music, or just skim through it?
jAwQ2LYw3OpHl.png

tumblr_mf7186RR7j1qag1wuo1_250.gif

the #dualities of posting a gif featuring a young girl crying after learning her father is a fraud.

PlayDat

A Nas Conspiracy Solved

everything about this is so intriguing to me.

Why, for example, would an unknown emcee say, “Making like four more albums then I’m falling back” when he hadn’t even released one? And why would he choose to write so many of his rhymes in the past tense, as if his career had already happened? (Droog’s response: “I feel old, man.”) When I confronted Droog with the litany of evidence that he was Nas, including an analysis of his EP cover (the first two tracks are “Quiet Storm” and “Bad to the Bone”—the first two letters spell out “QB,” or Queensbridge, where Nas grew up. Also, the acknowledgments thank Tim Dog, the emcee who some believe faked his own death) and a literary deconstruction of the word droog, which appears throughout “A Clockwork Orange” as an example of the Nadsat language (Nadsat rearranged is “dat Nas”), Droog said, “People are really crazy.”

ibw2P3Rzy8SkWA.png

Esch is 100% right on this one. Anyone who thought he might be Nas is wiliin'.

lol at this part too:

After some idle talk about the dice game Cee-lo and some more idle talk about gambling problems, he came out with it: “So, did you think I’d be white?”

I never thought for a second he'd be black. Droog doesn't use the n-word, plus I feel like most of the people still listening to hip hop from the era he's influenced by are white guys with a little bit of nerd in them.

Until a few months ago, nobody knew who this guy was. Now he's got the attention of all the blogs, Complex naming him on up-and-comer lists and a New Yorker interview. He's doing his first live performance in a couple weeks.
ibpDe7J7pbRjn1.png
doesn't even begin to describe it.

I really love the EP though. Has a good chance of making my top ten this year.

codhand

On Kanye sampling Drukqs’ “Avril 14th” on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’s “Blame Game”: “Is it a sample? I actually don't know what it ended up being in the end, I'm so slack. I know that he tried to fucking rip me off and claim that he'd written it, and they tried to get away with not paying. I was really helpful, and when they first sent it to me, I was like, ‘Oh, I can re-do that for you, if you like,’ because they'd sampled it really badly and time-stretched it and there was loads of artifacts. I was like, ‘I'll just replay it for you at that speed if you want.’ And they totally didn't even say ‘hello’ or ‘thanks,’ they just replied with, ‘It's not yours, it's ours, and we're not even asking you any more.’” [laughs]

sabu.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
On Kanye sampling Drukqs’ “Avril 14th” on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’s “Blame Game”: “Is it a sample? I actually don't know what it ended up being in the end, I'm so slack. I know that he tried to fucking rip me off and claim that he'd written it, and they tried to get away with not paying. I was really helpful, and when they first sent it to me, I was like, ‘Oh, I can re-do that for you, if you like,’ because they'd sampled it really badly and time-stretched it and there was loads of artifacts. I was like, ‘I'll just replay it for you at that speed if you want.’ And they totally didn't even say ‘hello’ or ‘thanks,’ they just replied with, ‘It's not yours, it's ours, and we're not even asking you any more.’” [laughs]

sabu.png
Dame leaving some of that scum in Def Jam Island A&Rs.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Actually underlining this whole thing is a legitimately poor comprehension of Nas' very essence as an artist and perhaps as a man from people that claim to be fans
jAwQ2LYw3OpHl.png

There are moments on Droog's tape that are just too provincial in terms of worldview and ambition. There's an unmistakable bandcampesque narrowness of vision there that gives it all away. Despite the intricacy of some of Droog's lyrics, there's a distinct laptop life late 80's-90s kid sensibility to how the tape feels, sounds and is written. others that come off as too vulnerable (the getting turned down by a girl bars are a classic example). Ultimately Gnausier Jones is a egoist much like his one time nemesis Hov. You think a guy that's spent as much of his time bragging about how he fuccs is going to show that kind of vulnerability? A guy who was full of himself enough to put himself on a cross and a crown of thorns in a dumb single about being disliked? A guy who tried to turn his broken heart about being dumped into an album about personal triumph?

Indeed the question here is, do you fools listen to music, or just skim through it?
jAwQ2LYw3OpHl.png
GFFRqLm.png

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Stop rubbing it in breh.

I'll listen to it, god guys.

I got all my books this semester for a shade under 100. Feel like crying. Still broke.

god damn bruh, that's a steal. one of my books was 80 alone. for a rental.

9uy57xJ.png

IrishNinja

Jay Pharaoh's struggle impressions of rappers. How do you completely jack another comedian's schtick and do it worse? This shit is cringeworthy.

the problem with picking distinct personalities like that is it shows so much more when you're off/overdoing it...agreed on the cringing too

buying books for classes

lol

for real, you can download them shits now cant you? i remember using the library, borrowing shit & photocopying sections for a thesis when i wanted to put that $ towards games & 39 cent hamburgers, which were clearly far better investments

HiResDes

Does this work? http://www.hulkshare.com/antnoir/01-bmf
Jay Pharaoh's struggle impressions of rappers. How do you completely jack another comedian's schtick and do it worse? This shit is cringeworthy.

Also, I'm in Canada, but only the Drake parody isn't available in my region lol

I'm rocking with this tho

This for you Enzo - http://www.mediafire.com/download/vp9ipyx2xbualxf/Upper+Echelon+(Rook+Milo+Remix).mp3

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

sabu.png
What is this from?

cacophony

yes, thanks bruh

the problem with picking distinct personalities like that is it shows so much more when you're off/overdoing it...agreed on the cringing too

for real, you can download them shits now cant you? i remember using the library, borrowing shit & photocopying sections for a thesis when i wanted to put that $ towards games & 39 cent hamburgers, which were clearly far better investments

i could usually find a .pdf or I wouldnt even need the book because the tests didnt include anything in it.

the slimy thing is when teachers have books with access codes in them in order to access the homework. so unless you buy it youll fail the class.

Cheddahz

Banned
the fact that you guys bitch about other music forums and then you make threads on those sites is pretty scust

the fact that you guys complain about opinions people have on a artist that you don't like and you mock them in this thread is even more scust

(i would had made this post earlier, but i've literally been in school all day)

ibtsvtuhPwLmi8.gif

anyways, for those who dig rnb music, you should check out this ep from this group called abhi//dijon, shit might be one of the best rnb releases of the year (i'll provide the soundcloud link and you're able to download it from there)

Tokubetsu

the fact that you guys bitch about other music forums and then you make threads on those sites is pretty scust

the fact that you guys complain about opinions people have on a artist that you don't like and you mock them in this thread is even more scust

ibtsvtuhPwLmi8.gif

anyways, for those who dig rnb music, you should check out this ep from this group called abhi//dijon, shit might be one of the best rnb releases of the year (i'll provide the soundcloud link and you're able to download it from there)

invYIPzAiCPGO.gif

HiResDes

ibtsvtuhPwLmi8.gif

Yeah it's really scustful to make an effort to have a thoughtful discussion on a site that you could really use them...Really scustful. Almost as scustful as the OP.

Esch

Banned
Dear toku, sometimes you use anime gifs as a response and they make no sense whatsoever in relation to the post you're quoting. Could you use less #dualities, or perhaps spoiler post an interpretation of the emotions or opinions you're expressing?

Thanks,

Your friend Esch

Dear toku, sometimes you use anime gifs as a response and they make no sense whatsoever in relation to the post you're quoting. Could you use less #dualities, or perhaps spoiler post an interpretation of the emotions or opinions you're expressing?

Thanks,

Your friend Esch

it's the joy of agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom