• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
BREHS
http://instagram.com/p/sI_5gnNd2w?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video

9D7WvL6.png

Yeup. Here's hoping it's a full project and not just one song.

It's amazing how pathetic media is. The obvious follow up: "if that's what new black means to you, what does 'old black' mean to you?" It would be the opposite right? Old black would be those who aren't rich and surrounded by rich white liberals, who dare complain about "the system" holding them back through inadequate school districts or crowded living conditions due to redlining. Old black=give me a handout.

dude is a COON. there's no sugar coating it.

It's amazing how pathetic media is. The obvious follow up: "if that's what new black means to you, what does 'old black' mean to you?" It would be the opposite right? Old black would be those who aren't rich and surrounded by rich white liberals, who dare complain about "the system" holding them back through inadequate school districts or crowded living conditions due to redlining. Old black=give me a handout.

This kinda thing makes me all the more grateful for people like Killer Mike, who has actually read books and studied history.

Between Pharrell saying this and Kanye equating everything to the Civil Rights movements, Hip-Hop needs more articulate and intelligent folks to speak out and get media attention.

Kwixotik

This kinda thing makes me all the more grateful for people like Killer Mike, who has actually read books and studied history.

Between Pharrell saying this and Kanye equating everything to the Civil Rights movements, Hip-Hop needs more articulate and intelligent folks to speak out and get media attention.
Unfortunately, nobody knows who Killer Mike is (relative to the other two)

These are our heroes

big ander

Late: mick Jenkins the waters is like...enjoyably boring? It's middling for sure but the mood is aight and he's a semi-capable rapper. If this guy actually becomes popular I won't mind or anything. Still baffled abt why the frat crowd seems to have embraced him

Gonna need the alc x currensy x Gibbs to surface one day, goood
I can't support Sophie because of gross gender politics.
Hah how now

Also cheddaz AG cook isn't some guy, he's about 5 times the producer Sophie is (and I rly like Sophie) and sure seems to be mainly the source for qt's aesthetic. PC music is one of the best labels out and it's weird that Sophie's cult is so rabid but PC musics isn't. Guess it's bc Sophie's the one getting more mainstream blog hype. Anyway go dl everything pc music.

overcast

Lemme write something I've been feeling lately.

Kind of getting tired of rap being treated like a joke genre. When I talk to certain college kids, or shit just a few of the groups I've been associated with from the past few years, they seem to like rappers too ironically. Not like Riff Raff or Lil B; people like Kanye and Ferg for example. I feel like they are demeaning the vast and sprawling genre, minimizing it to something that can only be played for ignorance or fun. I'm not saying shit should be Talib, rap is a fun ass genre, and I always try playing the loudest, bass heavy songs at parties, but I can't shake the feeling that plenty of people I know just do it cause it's cool. Do it so they can tweet some lyric, reblog a "rap meme" or change their tumblr name. I know Danny Brown made a song about eating vagina and he's a fun/crazy/zany ass character, but please don't ironically obsess over him.

Man, maybe I am fucking Canadian. Any thoughts? Again, I'm not saying people can't have fun to rap, I love dancing and singing to it, just seems like a trend.

Vorheez

What's going on with Ferg? I've been fiending for some new stuff, been playing a lot of my favorites off of Trap Lord as of late. Is he waiting for Rocky to go first or what?

Esch

Banned

Kind of getting tired of rap being treated like a joke genre. When I talk to certain college kids, or shit just a few of the groups I've been associated with from the past few years, they seem to like rappers too ironically. Not like Riff Raff or Lil B; people like Kanye and Ferg for example. I feel like they are demeaning the vast and sprawling genre, minimizing it to something that can only be played for ignorance or fun. I'm not saying shit should be Talib, rap is a fun ass genre, and I always try playing the loudest, bass heavy songs at parties, but I can't shake the feeling that plenty of people I know just do it cause it's cool. Do it so they can tweet some lyric, reblog a "rap meme" or change their tumblr name. I know Danny Brown made a song about eating vagina and he's a fun/crazy/zany ass character, but please don't ironically obsess over him.

Man, maybe I am fucking Canadian. Any thoughts? Again, I'm not saying people can't have fun to rap, I love dancing and singing to it, just seems like a trend.

To be fair, in a sense this was going to happen. In some ways, 90s rap was the other way. It was ludicrously tough-guy, hypermasculine... Super fucking serious. We had people getting shot at because of song lyrics. That's dumb as fuck, and of course it couldn't continue. So in some way the things that came after were a sort of natural course correction. After all we had reached a level of self-parody, and that was coming out in stuff like Don't Be a Menace to South Central, CB4 etc.

On another level this is maybe kind of a reflection of our society. People are super ironic about a lot of things these days, especially art and entertainment. I've never been much for it personally myself either. But then again I feel disconnected from the Zeitgeist of American comedy since I fucking hate The Office.

EDIT:

I feel like part of the reblogging aspect is how hashtagged information is now. Everything is disseminated in snippets.

big ander

I agree with you in that it's something I've noticed but I don't think it's as plainly simple as trying to be cool
My thoughts are that rap is to now what rock was to past decades or generations. Nowadays if you're like a 4/10 or above on the "tuned into mass art and culture" scale, you listen to hiphop. Just like past gens with rock, a lot of those listeners--MOST of them--are gonna be nonseriously listening, just enjoying certain releases they can easily disengage with while maintaining a minimum of up-to-date-ness. It's less a sad fact of hip hop culture or even music culture than it is one of popular culture in general. A lot of those listeners could become active about listening to music and find that the artists they half-hearted ot engage with have a lot more to offer, or find that other artists they passively play are bad. And it'd be cool if they did. But again like past gens most probably won't, which is ultimately alright I guess. Not everyone is in to music, just as not everyone is in to movies or painting or w/e, people can't be passionate everywhere.

what u trynna say?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's going on with Ferg? I've been fiending for some new stuff, been playing a lot of my favorites off of Trap Lord as of late. Is he waiting for Rocky to go first or what?
I think they're waiting on Ant/group album?

Ferg is pretty active when it comes to giving out features ATM though.

Like Esch said, people consume everything ironically now. Look at the culture that's grown around pop music. Shit there's a PC Music conversation on this page--I think it's a super dope label, but what percentage of people listening to AG/Sophie/GFOTY are doing it because they legitimately like the music?

There's a weird reluctance to just enjoy things for what they are in our generation (or maybe not just our generation). So a lot of people go out of their way to make sure you know, yeah, I'm listening to Kanye but not like seriously or anything. Rap deals with it more than a lot of genres, but it's not specific to it.

overcast

To be fair, in a sense this was going to happen. In some ways, 90s rap was the other way. It was ludicrously tough-guy, hypermasculine... Super fucking serious. We had people getting shot at because of song lyrics. That's dumb as fuck, and of course it couldn't continue. So in some way the things that came after were a sort of natural course correction. After all we had reached a level of self-parody, and that was coming out in stuff like Don't Be a Menace to South Central, CB4 etc.
Good post. I think there is a great aspect to rap taking itself less seriously, but the genre is so widespread that it is impossible to nail down. It isn't as over the top masculine as the 90's, which is a good thing.. probably.
I agree with you in that it's something I've noticed but I don't think it's as plainly simple as trying to be cool
My thoughts are that rap is to now what rock was to past decades or generations. Nowadays if you're like a 4/10 or above on the "tuned into mass art and culture" scale, you listen to hiphop. Just like past gens with rock, a lot of those listeners--MOST of them--are gonna be nonseriously listening, just enjoying certain releases they can easily disengage with while maintaining a minimum of up-to-date-ness. It's less a sad fact of hip hop culture or even music culture than it is one of popular culture in general. A lot of those listeners could become active about listening to music and find that the artists they half-hearted ot engage with have a lot more to offer, or find that other artists they passively play are bad. And it'd be cool if they did. But again like past gens most probably won't, which is ultimately alright I guess. Not everyone is in to music, just as not everyone is in to movies or painting or w/e, people can't be passionate everywhere.
I agree with rap being one of the dominant genres. I really don't mind the fact people listen to it on a wide scale, it's great for parties and is super adaptable to all kinds of social situations in my experience. It's the treatment of it, in maybe just my extended circle that is starting to get to me. Trying too hard to be ironic that it comes across as anything but.
Like Esch said, people consume everything ironically now. Look at the culture that's grown around pop music. Shit there's a PC Music conversation on this page--I think it's a super dope label, but what percentage of people listening to AG/Sophie/GFOTY are doing it because they legitimately like the music?

There's a weird reluctance to just enjoy things for what they are in our generation (or maybe not just our generation). So a lot of people go out of their way to make sure you know, yeah, I'm listening to Kanye but not like seriously or anything. Rap deals with it more than a lot of genres, but it's not specific to it.
Yeah, this is a huge trend. All over the place on the internet. I mean, I even partake in ironic humor sometimes. Hip-hop isn't the only genre treated this way; probably just the most personal for me. Think I remember a few people saying they were planning on going to see Macaulay Culkin's band. Nearly threw up. I get it, but Jesus.

what u trynna say?
tumblr_mxtsawEPi11shsvhho1_400.gif

Courage

Late: mick Jenkins the waters is like...enjoyably boring? It's middling for sure but the mood is aight and he's a semi-capable rapper. If this guy actually becomes popular I won't mind or anything. Still baffled abt why the frat crowd seems to have embraced him

I have to agree with this. I think the whole water aesthetic limited him, I can't get myself to replay the album other than a few songs like Dehydration and Jazz.

anyone else not find ricky gervais funny?

You initially find him funny, then realize his shtick of being an atheist jerk gets annoying as fuck. Didn't help that I had him on Facebook and he'd post shit every 2 minutes.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Dude is garbage but surrounds himself with funny people. The only funny about him is his laugh. I've never found him funny.

Did anyone else check out Calez Ceito?

prob will check it out when i get home today. i kinda just collapsed yesterday and ended up sleeping till this morning.

Esch

Banned
Mick Jenkins is plenty in line with frat rap tastes. Sometimes I think yall don't understand that audience likes half the shit you do. The first time I heard of Chance the Rapper, it wasn't from this thread. It was from one of my brothers. They were all riding the Mac Miller, Drake, Danny Brown, Q, Kanye, etc waves hard as fuck too. GAF-Hop has a pretty frat rap taste in general, apart from the 23 years old + guys and a couple of the OG's like PhoenixDark. In fact the only rapper I've seen fratboys stan for that GAFHOP doesn't is Logic.

fratboys read fader too, bruv
jAwQ2LYw3OpHl.png

Esch

Banned
I listened to Ceito, it was alright. Confusing tape. There are some joints that are real early Blu-ish and others where he sounds downright like 2 Chainz? Nice chill beats though.

Fratboys love all the shit yall do. ASAP Mob, Das Racist, all dat.

jAwQ2LYw3OpHl.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom