• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
I tried to fuck with Twin Peaks but it just didn't hit me. On the other hand I got the feeling that all of a sudden I'd found the source of so many different things I've seen in media. Reminded me so much of Alan Wake :lol

Speaking of that IG, I had a religious Spitta experience today brehs. Here in the lou its like 95 degrees + humidity out the ass. It is right next to the mississippi. I'm feeling like a run, because sometimes I like to try submitting myself to something stupid once in a while. I figure 8 miles, why not. I rarely play Spitta when I work out, and I decided to while i kept a brisk pace through neighborhoods. It set the perfect soundtrack brehs. You ever been in a situation like that where music perfectly fits everything? Mood, environment, company. It just hits all those spots simultaneously? I ran most of Covert Coup. It was brilliant, brehs. Smouldering heat and those wavy alc beats just ran through me in the most #blessed way possible. 1 part motivationals. 1 part swag raps and a bouquet garni of some grime and grit. There was a point somewhere where I was feeling tired and I almost turned back then Full Metal hit. Wow, just wow. That beat is so amazing, it could have been on the Prince of Egypt soundtrack. I Something in my dehydrated brain almost convinced me that it was better than Pilot Talk. I was almost there, like the first time i dropped LSD and almost began to believe in God. But nah. Still a classic, though.
Walking home in the darkness of night listening to Flying Lotus with a random car/street light here and there. The odd street lamp would be enhanced with the music. I stared at that shit for a while and it was beautiful.

I tried to fuck with Twin Peaks but it just didn't hit me. On the other hand I got the feeling that all of a sudden I'd found the source of so many different things I've seen in media. Reminded me so much of Alan Wake :lol
I tried picking it back up but didn't rremrber shit about it. Probably have to restart the show (._. )

JohnDoe

Banned
3hdAgIq.jpg

JohnDoe on the beat, ho!

Getting rid of my MPC that's collecting dust, got this little bastard instead. Time to cook up some hot beets.

There's also an easter egg for GAF-Hop in this picture lol.

Esch

Banned
I tried picking it back up but didn't rremrber shit about it. Probably have to restart the show (._. )

Me too. It's sad cause I feel like i've changed a lot since i first attempted to watch it and thus may enjoy it now.

JohnDoe on the beat, ho!

Getting rid of my MPC that's collecting dust, got this little bastard instead. Time to cook up some hot beets.

Is it the :mjlol: gif?
iEt61mZroWElR.gif

Cool setup, look forward to hearing your work

JohnDoe

Banned
Is it the :mjlol: gif?
iEt61mZroWElR.gif

Cool setup, look forward to hearing your work

lol yeah it is
iEt61mZroWElR.gif

I already got the Blade Runner OST ready to chop and bought some sample packs from classic drum machines (808s, 909s, LinnDrum, Oberheim DMX etc.) Can't wait to really dive into Ableton.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
what does this even mean? you'd watch a reboot of twin peaks from Lynch, but not the original series that was created by...Lynch..?
I'll watch the original. Right now I don't really feel like watching something made in the late 80s. I'll watch is eventually. But right now I don't really have a reason.

Cheddahz

Banned
JohnDoe on the beat, ho!

I thought the Easter egg was the trash bin in the back with all of the beats Nas has recycled (shit, on my phone, it looked like a trash bin, but whatever)

EDIT: Can't wait to hear your work though, I need to get back into messing around with Ableton

big ander

Mick Jenkins is plenty in line with frat rap tastes. Sometimes I think yall don't understand that audience likes half the shit you do. The first time I heard of Chance the Rapper, it wasn't from this thread. It was from one of my brothers. They were all riding the Mac Miller, Drake, Danny Brown, Q, Kanye, etc waves hard as fuck too. GAF-Hop has a pretty frat rap taste in general, apart from the 23 years old + guys and a couple of the OG's like PhoenixDark. In fact the only rapper I've seen fratboys stan for that GAFHOP doesn't is Logic.

fratboys read fader too, bruv
jAwQ2LYw3OpHl.png
Nah nah like I know frat boys go wild for chance and asap mob and mac, I just dont see mick as having a personality hook or safe idiosyncrasy to his music that those other artists might have.

And obviously there's a lot of crossover cause yeah, those kids are finding their music on rap blogs. But I don't think frat boy rap fans travel outside those circles much at all where it seems like most in gaf hop do. Like in my experience frat-type people haaaate das racist and killer mike.

Tokubetsu

JohnDoe on the beat, ho!

Nice! I need to get something like this.

EDIT: ^^^ I love Meg Myers

He's made some decent music in the meantime.

Yeah, I was surprised that it didn't turn into one of those awful movie to music transitions we've seen a billion times. I actually quite enjoy his music.

EDIT: You're not getting a new Twin Peaks. I heavily doubt it. I'd love to see him make a movie again but he just seems to like being Lynch for Lynch's sake. So I'm not sure we'll see that soon either.

IrishNinja

apologies to the 2.5 gaf hoppers that follow me on twitter; patched my shit up so it shouldn't be as easily hacked now i guess

european girls > american girls

you know we get girls from all over the world though rite

Last I heard, he's considering a Twin Peaks reboot.

man i've love to see a season 2 he was more involved in, shit got dark & interesting towards the end after all the bullshit

maybe ill finally watch it then.

missin out dun

Jitters

Lemme write something I've been feeling lately.

Kind of getting tired of rap being treated like a joke genre. When I talk to certain college kids, or shit just a few of the groups I've been associated with from the past few years, they seem to like rappers too ironically. Not like Riff Raff or Lil B; people like Kanye and Ferg for example. I feel like they are demeaning the vast and sprawling genre, minimizing it to something that can only be played for ignorance or fun. I'm not saying shit should be Talib, rap is a fun ass genre, and I always try playing the loudest, bass heavy songs at parties, but I can't shake the feeling that plenty of people I know just do it cause it's cool. Do it so they can tweet some lyric, reblog a "rap meme" or change their tumblr name. I know Danny Brown made a song about eating vagina and he's a fun/crazy/zany ass character, but please don't ironically obsess over him.

Man, maybe I am fucking Canadian. Any thoughts? Again, I'm not saying people can't have fun to rap, I love dancing and singing to it, just seems like a trend.

There is something I don't understand about what you are saying. Ferg shouldn't be liked it a funny way? Isn't that what its supposed to be? Fun? I love hip hop, but a lot of this shit sound ridiculous and promotes ridiculous ideas.

I also don't understand why people think hip hop should be more respected than pop. What makes it any less cheap, and entertainment based.

Esch

Banned
There is something I don't understand about what you are saying. Ferg shouldn't be liked it a funny way? Isn't that what its supposed to be? Fun? I love hip hop, but a lot of this shit sound ridiculous and promotes ridiculous ideas.

He's basically talking about you m8

reckt

Jitters

Not really, just having a larf

I think Overcast is just commenting on the general lack of fucks given from a lot of newer fans toward rap as an artform. There's nothing wrong with having a casual interest though.

Dead

You see that kinda what I mean though. Why is Ferg (or Migos, or Franch Montana, or Yung Lean) deserving of more respect than Ariana? They aren't,yet that isn't how message board music fans see it.

I also think its weird you get called a snob for not liking trap, yet you also shouldn't treat hip hop as a joke. I mean what the hell? I feel like I'm missing something.

Cheddahz

Banned
Why was Ariana even brought up?

Speaking of Ariana, I listened to her new album and the song she did with A$AP Ferg better become a single (and all of the tracks on the deluxe edition are amazing compared to some of the songs on the actual album

Esch

Banned
You see that kinda what I mean though. Why is Ferg (or Migos, or Franch Montana, or Yung Lean) deserving of more respect than Ariana? They aren't,yet that isn't how message board music fans see it.

I also think its weird you get called a snob for not liking trap, yet you also shouldn't treat hip hop as a joke. I mean what the hell? I feel like I'm missing something.

Nobody respects any of those guys except Ferg (for making weed carrier history outchea).

Jitters

Nobody respects any of those guys except Ferg (for making weed carrier history outchea).

I feel internet snobs see it as more acceptable to like trash rap than trash anything else. It like "oh I love Migos, it just dumb fun" but liking Skrillex or whatever is a damn sin.

Is that what Outcast meant?

edit: They might be rebooting Twin Peaks? oooh. Second season SUCKED , I would still be down for that tho.

Esch

Banned
I feel internet snobs see it as more acceptable to like trash rap than trash anything else. It like "oh I love Migos, it just dumb fun" but liking Skrillex or whatever is a damn sin.

I think you're kinda categorically slamming a group of people's preferences (internet snobs? what attitude does that entail) without defining who they are exactly and what they're into. Like you aren't making any sense.

HiResDes

edit: They might be rebooting Twin Peaks? oooh. Second season SUCKED , I would still be down for that tho.

Leave, just leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom