• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

not really. i still haven't given them a listen. its well overdue. but i dont really know where to start.

TnRrscl.gif

Vorheez

I feel like gafhop would benefit from a "reveal one thing about yourself in the context of hip hop" thing that could show our true colors.

That, or I just want to use it as an excuse to reveal some bullshit I was thinking about today but am afraid of the looks I'll get

I feel like gafhop would benefit from a "reveal one thing about yourself in the context of hip hop" thing that could show our true colors.

That, or I just want to use it as an excuse to reveal some bullshit I was thinking about today but am afraid of the looks I'll get

you first.

DominoKid

If its before 1994 im probably not gonna like it just cause it sounds like the stone age of rap to me. Tribe and De La are two big exceptions.

Most embarrasing shit Ive ever heard from a "hip hop head” is my roommate that had never heard Illmatic before. In 2013. Gave him the cd and dude came back like two hrs later like "Its decent. 5/10 maybe." Dude was a Hov stan though so I guess he felt like he had to stay on message.

If its before 1994 im probably not gonna like it just cause it sounds like the stone age of rap to me. Tribe and De La are two big exceptions.

Hmm...agreed. The flows just sound so dated and cheesy, even though I respect the history of course

Ice Cube, DOC and that whole west coast sound are another great exception though

Tokubetsu

Yeah I just can't fuck with a lot of early rap they way I can with say, early metal. A lot of it just has to do with production. Slick Rick is one of the big few exceptions with a few more assorted stuff. Mainly singles and hits.

HiResDes

My confession is probably pretty apparent: I used to think that I enjoyed every coast equally, but I don't like a lot of very well respected west-coast artists. I really just don't ever feel compelled to listen to DJ Quik, E-40, or Kurupt at all.

Vorheez

Told you it was bad

my dad kinda like some kanye west music. mostly from 808

yoo. common yall wer takin jabs at me, but we aren't even gonna talk about this?

0/10 wouldn't get trolled again
Wish I was trolling, I really do
You probably heard most of the songs from Blueprint 1. Like 80% of that album even people who dont like rap will recognize if they are even slightly tuned into pop culture.
Yeah you're probably right, I won't deny that. I can honestly say I've never intentionally listened to an album of his back to back though. Not even for any particular reason with, I just haven't

Told you it was bad

Wish I was trolling, I really do

Yeah you're probably right, I won't deny that. I can honestly say I've never intentionally listened to an album of his back to back though. Not even for any particular reason with, I just haven't

Fair enough. I cant think of too many gems from Jay that everyone wouldnt have heard at some point. His good shit is anything but underexposed, with like one or two exceptions. (Meet the Parents being one of them)
This is worse than the time we found out that mostly everyone in GAF-Hop hasn't listened to Mobb Deep
I used to be such a stan for P. I remember watching every bit of material I could get my hands on when he got locked up.
Haha. Stupid teenage years.

overcast

i've come around on white rappers lately, if only because they may as well not exist to me.

i'll never be totally worried about white people taking over rap because they're looking for something different in the music than what we are for the most part.
What? Both comments puzzle me. Firstly, "white rappers" can be anything. I don't listen to Em, Iggy or Macklemore. On the other hand Action, Alc/Evidence, and Lil Ugly Mane have dropped some great tapes I play all the time.

Secondly, unless you're talking about like executives that second statement is even more nonsensical. Subjectively a lot of people find different things they love about rap and music in general. There is no right way to feel rap. I mean if you're listening to a really racially charged record it may not hit as close to home, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying plenty of tracks that have nothing to do with my experience.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cole's NPR interview is making me want to give his album another shot. I guess a lot of the theme went over my head.

They talk about Kendrick and i about 45 and 46 mins in, and he talks about a conversation he had with Kendrick in Australia that probably inspired the art and why Kendrick is "the one."

DominoKid

What? Both comments puzzle me. Firstly, "white rappers" can be anything. I don't listen to Em, Iggy or Macklemore. On the other hand Action, Alc/Evidence, and Lil Ugly Mane have dropped some great tapes I play all the time.

Secondly, unless you're talking about like executives that second statement is even more nonsensical. Subjectively a lot of people find different things they love about rap and music in general. There is no right way to feel rap. I mean if you're listening to a really racially charged record it may not hit as close to home, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying plenty of tracks that have nothing to do with my experience.

basically i don't really see the point in being fearful of some sort of white takeover of rap like cole does. i don't see that ever happening unless we just vacate the genre completely. the idea of it used to annoy the shit out of me though.

bronson really the only white rapper i listened to that has stuck in a while. so what white rappers are doing really doesn't cross my field of vision. thats why i said they may as well not exist to me.

overcast

I feel the same way (actually have a lot more respect for him than most of the dudes I like nowadays)
Yeah, unfortunately.
basically i don't really see the point in being fearful of some sort of white takeover of rap like cole does. i don't see that ever happening unless we just vacate the genre completely. the idea of it used to annoy the shit out of me though.

bronson really the only white rapper i listened to that has stuck in a while. so what white rappers are doing really doesn't cross my field of vision. thats why i said they may as well not exist to me.
I agree 100% about the first part. Yeah, I can't see rap being white dominated. Rap has a huge multicultural audience worldwide imo.

I see that you're not feeling them. Even then though, "white rappers" are different enough (though I definjtely tend to typecast em in the lyrical miracle category) that you can't just write em all off.

Edit: I still wanna know why Em is accused a being a culture vulture but somebody like El-P isn't? Confuses me.

Cole's NPR interview is making me want to give his album another shot. I guess a lot of the theme went over my head.

They talk about Kendrick and i about 45 and 46 mins in, and he talks about a conversation he had with Kendrick in Australia that probably inspired the art and why Kendrick is "the one."
Nevermind that Kendrick (from Compton) has explained the story behind the concept multiple times and didn't mention Jermaine saying crips and bloods should love each other. Cole really overrates his impact. Reminds me of him saying him/Kendrick/Drake were the new Jay and Nas. Chill with that shit.

I like all the interviews though. They mirror a lot of what I've been thinking, especially this year with all the turmoil going on. He has his mind in the right place but the quality of music isn't there. I'll listen to the album again tomorrow but it's nothing out of the ordinary for him. Piano chords, weak drums (with some nice jazz elements btw...props). Rapping about an abridged version of his life with some conscious stuff thrown in. First half is dope but after that it tapers off. I just feel like he needs a good exec producer to challenge him. You can't sing every hook - Kanye didn't so why should you? And how can you compare yourself to Cube while only having one social commentary song that knocks (Tale Of 2 Cities). He talks like he made something that sonically mirrors GKMC.

I wish more artists used their voice to make statements. I'll never expect party and conscious parity but I wish there was something beyond "get money fuck bitches." Personally I don't see how any self respectig black man could buy Travis Scott music/tickets after his comments on Michael Brown. Same applies to Young Thug. Fuck them.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Feasting on that leaked employee discount over at Timberland. Pretty dope if it goes through.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Young Thug said some dumb shit too?
IIRC he was asked if entertainers should be responsible for having a voice on issues in the world and he was just like "No."

TBH I don't think it's every musician's responsibility to be conscious or a political activist, and likewise I don't expect a lot of these artists some of who come from absolutely nothing to necessarily have an education. I think it's pretty damn shortsighted to expect intellectual/political standards from people whose upbringing didn't have the things we take for granted like education and a safe environment to create a frame of reference from. Travis Scott was homeless for a portion of his adolescence.

It doesn't excuse ignorance, but come on. People can exist in microcosms of society, and it's not like anyone anywhere cares what he has to say on these issues.

DominoKid

asking Young Thug about social issues is some "Where's Ja" shit. idgaf that he said some dumb shit. i wouldn't even have asked him what he thought about it because you know it's not going to be anything intelligent or well thought out. that reporter was fishing.

injurai

Banned
My confession is probably pretty apparent: I used to think that I enjoyed every coast equally, but I don't like a lot of very well respected west-coast artists. I really just don't ever feel compelled to listen to DJ Quik, E-40, or Kurupt at all.

Regions are balancing out, but historically i've always vibed with east coast. Recently southern and midwest has been pretty hot.

lmao i never heard nicki minaj's only in full until now. drake is on his knees and putting her on dat pedestal in this. hahaahah, she's fine as hell but this is very pathetic.

it's the instagram anthem.

injurai

Banned
I thought I read an interview with him where he says his family is middle class

Plenty of middle class families find themselves falling apart during a chapter of their lives. Even if it's not as bad as others have it, that stuff is terrifying and straining.

Jitters

The cool thing about Nujabes is when you go back to one of his records, you don't want to stop listening to it. I'll miss out on new shit just to play the hell out them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom