• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitters

I still like Twigs LP over that vanilla Ariana album. Moment and Evy Jane EPs still in rotation too.

Whaaaaaaa

Twigs is tied with ST Vincent as the most over hyped, groove-less pop star around rn.

Does anyone read Gary Suarez's articles? I don't like The Quietus too much, but something about him is interesting to me.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't know what to think about Hood Billionaire. I think Mastermind was better tbh.

Movin' Bass is ridiculous though. Holy shit.

That track with Project Pat is the shit. The hook is dangerous when out and about in a city filled with cops though. Fuck around and catch the spirit of 2pac and want to start wildin.

overcast

Esch, PD...Irish Ninja. We ready for take off

http://instagram.com/p/wk4Udctd1x/
Holy shit. It's happening, I can't believe this.
Whaaaaaaa

Twigs is tied with ST Vincent as the most over hyped, groove-less pop star around rn.
How is that even close to deserving of that reaction? I wouldn't say Twigs is comparable to Ariana in the first place (so Vincent is even less so), but both are immensely superior musicians in every way. Ariana's music isn't compelling at all, shit got played one time from me. "Grooveless" like I don't even understand.

IrishNinja

esh is much better rare chandeliers defense force (goddammit enzoes why do we need such a thing), i need to revisit shit to remember track titles

It's $54 shipped. It's for my brother who is just starting a collection of SNES carts. I was trying to get him an old SNES system but finding one right now at a reasonable price in good condition is tough and I figured this would last him long enough to find one on his own.

a local gaffer was just telling me that systems shot up (ugh), have you checked craigslist? thing is if you're gonna drop $50 i feel you could get a legit one & not have any compatbility concerns/a cheap ass controller/etc...i'll look around outchea for you my dude

Will set up the AOTY thread today or tomorrow. Nothing special, no fancy graphics, just #FACTS.

can't wait, appreciate the effort man

Esch, PD...Irish Ninja. We ready for take off

http://instagram.com/p/wk4Udctd1x/

...damn
when's shit drop? gonna have to re-up that night

MoodyFog

I don't know what to think about Hood Billionaire. I think Mastermind was better tbh.

Movin' Bass is ridiculous though. Holy shit.

I don't get the bad reviews for that tape. I mean the first half fuckin bangs

You get hood billionaire, coke like the 80s, Heavyweight, neighborhood drug dealer, elvis presley blvd AND movin' bass? Goddam

HiResDes

Whaaaaaaa

Does anyone read Gary Suarez's articles? I don't like The Quietus too much, but something about him is interesting to me.
St. Vincent isn't really a pop artist and she's amazing btw. I can't even tell if you're being serious anymore. And she can groove just fine btw, she's the closest reincarnation to heyday Prince we have in this era. most of the groove you're referring to is completely manufactured by Cashmere Cat and the like. At least Twigs has her own definitive style and image.

JohnDoe

Banned
St. Vincent isn't really a pop artist and she's amazing btw. I can't even tell if you're being serious anymore. And she can groove just fine btw, she's the closest reincarnation to heyday Prince we have in this era. most of the groove you're referring to is completely manufactured by Cashmere Cat and the like. At least Twigs has her own definitive style and image.
Absolutely disgusting. Not like this, des.
And don't try to talk sense into Jitters when the topic is Ariana Grande.

JohnDoe

Banned
I said the closest. And if you've seen her live you'll understand.
D'Angelo. Especially since he is releasing his album for real now. Just watch The Charade live.
Idk how St Vincent comes close to prime Prince (1982-1987) in any way that other artist could not compare.

HiResDes

D'Angelo. Especially since he is releasing his album for real now. Just watch The Charade live.
Idk how St Vincent comes close to prime Prince (1982-1987) in any way that others don't.
She plays the guitar and other instruments really well, writes her own songs, and can get quite funky. Why do you think David Byrne and Michael Gira were dying to work with her.

Guitar Solo, St. Vincent - Paris, Février 2014: http://youtu.be/mqd9hi7V-rw

yeah she's a pretty talented guitarist, i wouldn't put her on the level of prince (which nobody was doing in here but just throwing it out there) but i can see the comparisons.

JohnDoe

Banned
She plays the guitar and other instruments really well, writes her own songs, and can get quite funky. Why do you think David Byrne was dying to work with her.
"Can get quite funky" alright... Not comparable to prime Prince at all though. I mean I can hear Prince influence in her work but just because she plays guitar well and is a multinstrumentalist who writes her own stuff doesn't mean her music is the closest thing we have to Prince. As far as funkiness goes, she isn't even close to being as funky as Prince is; live or in the studio.
But I guess differing opinions and all.

thabiz

prince.jpg

HiResDes

You guys are acting like I said something outlandish when I didn't to the point that I have to question your reading comprehension. I never said she was his equal. You mention Prince as a comparison and people go nuts.

JohnDoe

Banned
You guys are acting like I said something outlandish when I didn't to the point that I have to question your reading comprehension. I never said she was his equal. You mention Prince as a comparison and people go nuts.
The context of your conversation with jitters was how St Vincents music grooves. You compared her groove to 80s Prince and said shes the closest thing we have to Prince from that era and I say that's bullshit. Listen to his material from that time, including live performances, and tell me with a straight face that out of all artists today she comes closest to him. Hell, Janelle Monae comes closer.

HiResDes

The context of your conversation with jitters was how St Vincents music grooves. You compared her groove to 80s Prince and said shes the closest thing we have to Prince from that era and I say that's bullshit. Listen to his material from that time, including live performances, and tell me with a straight face that out of all artists today she comes closest to him. Hell, Janelle Monae comes closer.
Monae doesn't do epic fucking guitar solos

Esch

Banned
janelle monae is one of those artists that I..... don't really get her existence. her catalogue just sounds like a diverse cover band to me.

I hate to say I'm moving towards Esch on janelle monae. She has some great tracks but there's truth to the argument about her stuff sounding like cover band fare. If she had a better band I'd imagine she could be a lot better. But then again...her image is retro futuristic...but there's nothing crazy or "new" about her music. And that's probably her decision, not the band's.

JohnDoe

Banned
Also, I think Janelle is mad overrated too. But when I listen to her music (especially Archandroid) Prince comes to mind quickly. St Vincent? lmao
Btw des, big epic guitar solos aren't the defining treats of Prince's funky songs. His rhythm guitar playing though? lawd

Esch

Banned
I hate to say I'm moving towards Esch on janelle monae. She has some great tracks but there's truth to the argument about her stuff sounding like cover band fare. If she had a better band I'd imagine she could be a lot better. But then again...her image is retro futuristic...but there's nothing crazy or "new" about her music. And that's probably her decision, not the band's.

It definitely seems like I'm a hater, but that's only cause certain people :)mjpls:) have aggrandized her into being some sort of album of the year quality music. It's just run of the mill material. Some 6/10 type shit. The only reason she's notable is the image, even the aesthetic of her music/album framing is kinda whatever.

I don't think you always have to do something 'new' in order to be good. But if you are going to hit a subject that has been done before at least do it with some panache, like say Roc Marciano.

IrishNinja

like, i ain't outchea caping for her, but the "people don't really enjoy her music, it's her image" line is kinda shitty/projecting, is the thing

DominoKid

Nah you not hating. I want to like her but I can't lie like the music is better than what it is. Most of her shit have me like
AixfG.png

Primetime is cash though but it still sounds like an imitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom