• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"people don't really enjoy her music, it's her image"
this perception, true or not, is the source of animosity for Janelle. I'd argue that there's a significant portion of her fanbase that's enamored by the product of the Janelle Monae brand than purely off her material. There's nothing wrong with that, it's no less valid a reason than anything for liking an artist, and you're right, as a criticism, it's projecting and to a certain extent a self-fulfilling prophecy

Esch

Banned
like, i ain't outchea caping for her, but the "people don't really enjoy her music, it's her image" line is kinda shitty/projecting, is the thing

People can enjoy her music plenty.

I just think the only thing she nails is her image which is great. She's a beautiful woman, she's kinda got this afrocentric post-gender thing going on that really sets her apart.

It's an opinion not a dick, don't take it so hard.

Tokubetsu

uoIoq50.png

My problem with Monae is that she has too much cookie cutter content on her albums that tries to sound too much like the music she's trying to emulate and in turn drags down her entire catalogue. You could cut like 50% of both Archandroid and Electric Lady and they'd have been great albums but having to skip like every other track...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
a local gaffer was just telling me that systems shot up (ugh), have you checked craigslist? thing is if you're gonna drop $50 i feel you could get a legit one & not have any compatbility concerns/a cheap ass controller/etc...i'll look around outchea for you my dude

no worries man, I ended up finding one on eBay this morning for $60 shipped. Picked up a copy of F-Zero for $10 and NBA Jam for $5 as well. The system didn't include any cables or controllers, but he has a N64 so the picture hookup is covered and amazon had a power adapter and some generic controllers for $7 a piece.

Thanks again dude.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Never understood the love for Janelle Monae, aside from her image which sets her apart a bit. She seems super intelligent (like, actually intelligent not just celebrity-intelligent) from interviews too, but I think I've enjoyed more K. Michelle songs than her. Tried to give her first album a shot and it wasn't clicking.

Jitters

Shes very overrated because people are in love with the idea of her.

This is how I feel about Twigs.

I like her in theory. To actually listen to? nah. Dull atmosphere pop with some good tracks here and there.

I thought Monae sounding like a cover band was something people liked about her.

@JColeNC 1m1 minute ago

Charlotte! I wanna see Chris Rock movie today. We rented out a theatre. First 50 ppl that bring the album get to watch it with me.

you know people are gonna be loud, trying to impress Cole/make him laugh/sit next to him. smh.

which gaffer is going tho

HiiiLife

Dat Gates tho. Whew.

Anybody listen to Chase N Cashe? I have yet to check him out but I'm guessing I can put him in the same boat as Le$ and Smoke DZA and what not.

DominoKid

I like her in theory. To actually listen to? nah. Dull atmosphere pop with some good tracks here and there.

I thought Monae sounding like a cover band was something people liked about her.

fka twigs is some shit that i can accept that just isnt for me. i'm not w/ that intentionally weird stuff she does. i've only felt her music as background noise when i was high as hell in the company of a woman.

Dat Gates tho. Whew.

Anybody listen to Chase N Cashe? I have yet to check him out but I'm guessing I can put him in the same boat as Le$ and Smoke DZA and what not.

oh shit new Gates is out.

i used to listen to Chase up until about 2012. dude was the definition of mediocrity back then so maybe he's gotten better since

HiiiLife

oh shit new Gates is out.

i used to listen to Chase up until about 2012. dude was the definition of mediocrity back then so maybe he's gotten better since

The Gates is slapping.... so far. I dunno how this dude comes up with his hooks but I dig em lol. And that's cool, I just need some cruising shit to vibe to, if I get from Chase what I get from Le$ and Trademark the Skydiver I'm fine w/ that.

Nibel

Listened to the FKA Twigs album because it's one of the most hyped albums of 2014 and man this is just not good at all, just a weird artist for the sake of being weird. How To Dress Well dropped the better R&B album this year.

FKA twigs hate, St Vincent hate?
Ariana Grande stannery??
I don't understand whatsoever. Marianne grande is so derivate and boring, while we have an Arca produced R&B album being called not good at all.

injurai

Banned
FKA twigs hate, St Vincent hate?
Ariana Grande stannery??
I don't understand whatsoever. Marianne grande is so derivate and boring, while we have an Arca produced R&B album being called not good at all.

I wonder if Arca will continue producing her. Every artist that has tried to separate themselves from Diplo is always left drastically worse. I often feel I'm only ever in for the producer.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Impressions - Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

I totally understand the Vibes comparisons, I say the production is more experimental/exploratory because of the instrumentation, and I quite liked the garage influences I can hear coming out here and there. I just don't think it hits all the time, and her voice contrasts it in the wrong ways. This is amplified by how she has that ultra boring go-to flow nonchalant sort of flow that's usually mixed low and it sort of drowns her out volume wise and mentally IMO. I just instantly tune out. Singing is serviceable to decent. Never was a big fan of 212, but it turns out it's one of the standouts for me, alongside Gimme A Chance and Ice Princess.

The beginning of the second half of the album is kind of cheesy/#ICantRelate territory. I can understand people feeling this album, but not quite enough memorable.. anything really. Listened to the album, took a breather, tried to remember what it even sounded like and all I could think of was her rumpapumpum flow.

IrishNinja

People can enjoy her music plenty.

I just think the only thing she nails is her image which is great. She's a beautiful woman, she's kinda got this afrocentric post-gender thing going on that really sets her apart.

not that this is just about you, but the line "you think you like something, but you just dig the image" is tired & kinda patronizing, fam.
if i wanted reductive hipster logic i'd be in OT

no worries man, I ended up finding one on eBay this morning for $60 shipped. Picked up a copy of F-Zero for $10 and NBA Jam for $5 as well. The system didn't include any cables or controllers, but he has a N64 so the picture hookup is covered and amazon had a power adapter and some generic controllers for $7 a piece.

Thanks again dude.

you done good bruh, i think i have some loose carts but its mostly mario paint (which is pointless without a mouse) and maybe a copy of power rangers, i gotta look around since the last move

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Fuck you and your damn charts
And your crowd participation
I'm putting a land mine under your stage
Had his place raining fan parts
And called that shit crowd precipitation

ivv3A7Ubuc19W.gif

Trey

What's your favorite movies of the year? Trying to see what everyone is leaning towards.

Gone Girl, Cap 2, Interstellar, Days of Future Past, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, 22 Jump Street, The Equalizer, Edge of Tomorrow, Big Hero 6, LEGO Movie.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
dofp was shit
#factsonly
It wasn't shit, but it wasn't very good either. I almost don't wait to watch it again because I feel like it's going to fall apart even more, but I kind of feel like I have to for the sake of the source material at least.

I just felt empty coming out of the theatre for that. So sad at how Fox is squandering those properties.

injurai

Banned
It wasn't shit, but it wasn't very good either. I almost don't wait to watch it again because I feel like it's going to fall apart even more, but I kind of feel like I have to for the sake of the source material at least.

I just felt empty coming out of the theatre for that. So sad at how Fox is squandering those properties.

Yeah I was expecting a lot more from it, especially after First Class which I quite enjoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom