• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sketch, a rough draft...they can be as poignant, sharp, and effervescent as any work that was long in the making.

I don't know. That sounds like that the talk of the art fans with their noses in the air. As both a writer and a visual artist, I know technical skill is also a key component in producing your art and almost none of those reflect that in those. That would no be some shit I would show in my portfolio.

Cheddahz

Banned
I don't know. That sounds like that the talk of the art fans with their noses in the air. As both a writer and a visual artist, I know technical skill is also a key component in producing your art and almost none of those reflect that in those. That would no be some shit I would show in my portfolio.

Sketches showcase technical skill though

injurai

Banned
PICKLESSSSSSSSSSSS
tumblr_inline_nfw71qw97V1swiylm.gif

big ander

man...any argument with the phrase "as both a writer and a visual artist" sounds far snootier and stuck-up than a defense of simple artwork as effective

If I wanted to drop a mixtape and spend five minutes in MS Paint to make a cover, I'm entitled to it and nobody should give a shit about it. The album cover should mean something to the musician itself, not the audience and it doesn't need to show "technical skill"

EDIT: Actually doesn't need to mean anything to the musician

If you're presenting it to people, I'd think you would expect critique on it. I sure wouldn't put my stuff out there if I'm not willing to hear both negatives and positives about it.

Rembrandt

Banned
black-milk-if-theres-a-hell-below.jpg

First Impressions - Black Milk - If There's A Hell Below

I've been pretty down on most projects that sound (or their samples) dated or don't have some sort of modern twist or interpretation of those sounds, but this really seems to capture that glint of authenticity/soul that I feel is sorely missing from modern boom bap. I'm bopping my head not in appreciation, but as someone who is entertained and feeling it. The album has a definitive texture, and that's both a plus and a minus IMO. I don't think any of the features particularly add anything to the record, and some I'd argue are even bad (Bun B). Album dips a bit int he last few tracks which don't do much for me.

If you're just looking for some super solid rappity rap and boom bap, this is one of the go-to records this year. Stellar production from front-to-back that is significantly diverse. I don't know if it's particularly exceptional/memorable quite yet, but it's solid. Standouts for me are Detroit's New Dance Show, What It's Worth and Story and Her.

og-maco-breathe-ep.jpg

First Impressions - OG Maco - Breathe EP

Lol I didn't know this was 3 songs. You would have never guessed this was the guy that did U Guessed It. Great little snack and potential palette cleanser with great energy. Not much else to say, really. He went IN on Riot and that's surprisingly one of the best Ferguson/Eric Garner/White Privilege response songs I've heard.

- - -

I think I'm good with listening to new shit for the year, and probably will spend the next little while revisiting projects and letting some of these recent spins sink in. Bottom half of my Top 10 is looking really fuzzy.

Maco was tweeting about how people are gonna overlook him because of U Guessed It and he started talking about how lyrical/smart he really is and shit. I ain't believe it, but I'm glad it seems to be true. Imma have to peep this.

Can we start tossing Drake beats to Koenig and build something off this? Dude kind of has an ear slipping in beats

Been saying him and Grimes should fuck with hip-hop artists more.

HiResDes

man...any argument with the phrase "as both a writer and a visual artist" sounds far snootier and stuck-up than a defense of simple artwork as effective
It's so meaningless this day and age. Everyone I know is a writer or a sculptor or in graphic design. I don't even consider it noteworthy nor does it add any merit to anything. The most brilliant minds will die slumming in NYC after a bad heroin binge. And not a soul will bat an eye.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As a (terrible) writer and a (aspiring) visual artist, I'm baffled that you believe technical skill is essential to producing great art. You don't need technical skill to understand what makes a great composition, really, and most people with an Instagram can do that.

That said, I think while the Yeezus art kind of became an iconic thing, people didn't really use it as intended, and countries like mine got the shitty yellow stickers. I wish it had a real cover, but the Condo one (or whoever did it) that got leaked was terrible. It's a shame because any of the tour promo art of Ye ascending could have made for a fantastic cover.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
These numbers are taking streaming into account right? Do we get actual sales anymore?
I think the stream numbers together with regular sales are published as a different statistic.

I know for sure there's an additional statistic that creates equivalent sales from single sales. So if you sell enough singles or whatever, at some point that counts as selling an album.

Dope as fuck.

Nice vibe-out music. Good message throughout his lyrics. I enjoyed it. The production was good and consistent with well integrated the samples. ‘Darker than Blue’ was amongst my favorites. Good ‘Morning Music’ it is.

Did a little ‘Canei Finch’ research and he produced some good tracks. J. Cole – ‘Kenny Lofton’ and ‘Chris Tucker’ (...MONEY TALKING MUTHAFUCKA, [2 Chainz]YEAAAAAAAA ). He also produced Marsha Ambrosius ‘Lose Myself’ penned by Lauryn Hill; Great Song.

DOPE SHIT.

Thank Detox.

studyguy

Merry Christmas brehs. My ass is stuck at work till noon and I prob won't be on tomorrow since I'll be hung over as shit. Stay safe yall and have a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom