• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

add me Rasta, i'm TheIrishNinja on PSN

yeah google image makes some of those look kinda like what i'm talking about - how do they hook into modern receivers, just regular AVs or what?

awesome weins, thanks for this man.
sounds like ill do the distilled water thing first and see how much that fixes on the better ones, so you just kinda submerge it real quick in say a small tub of said distilled water & let it air dry? ive definitely got microfiber cloths about too.

and yeah i think he said it's the whole arm, but that it's a good player otherwise. might just check this swap shop on the beach, i hear they might do repairs but good to know i'd just need to order said part & have it installed/balanced.

really can't wait; current setup is such booty. like if you plug in the nice headphones des recommended they sound great, but even if you plug in nice speakers they'll sound like shit.
Do your friend's table over buying an AT lp60. I have the same model and it's fine but it's not really upgradable or adjustable at all. Which I didn't care about too much when I bought it, sure. but now I'm at a dead end. with your friend's table you'll probably end up spending about the same amount to get a table that's better and feasible to improve on with bits and pieces over the years instead of starting over

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
black-milk-if-theres-a-hell-below.jpg

First Impressions - Black Milk - If There's A Hell Below

I've been pretty down on most projects that sound (or their samples) dated or don't have some sort of modern twist or interpretation of those sounds, but this really seems to capture that glint of authenticity/soul that I feel is sorely missing from modern boom bap. I'm bopping my head not in appreciation, but as someone who is entertained and feeling it. The album has a definitive texture, and that's both a plus and a minus IMO. I don't think any of the features particularly add anything to the record, and some I'd argue are even bad (Bun B). Album dips a bit int he last few tracks which don't do much for me.

If you're just looking for some super solid rappity rap and boom bap, this is one of the go-to records this year. Stellar production from front-to-back that is significantly diverse. I don't know if it's particularly exceptional/memorable quite yet, but it's solid. Standouts for me are Detroit's New Dance Show, What It's Worth and Story and Her.

og-maco-breathe-ep.jpg

First Impressions - OG Maco - Breathe EP

Lol I didn't know this was 3 songs. You would have never guessed this was the guy that did U Guessed It. Great little snack and potential palette cleanser with great energy. Not much else to say, really. He went IN on Riot and that's surprisingly one of the best Ferguson/Eric Garner/White Privilege response songs I've heard.

- - -

I think I'm good with listening to new shit for the year, and probably will spend the next little while revisiting projects and letting some of these recent spins sink in. Bottom half of my Top 10 is looking really fuzzy.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I only know what my numero uno is for the year. The rest is up in the air.

maybe I'll give it some thought after christmas.

IrishNinja

glad to see black milk's joint getting enzo-love

Don't miss my updates!

you're the best, man. i can totally do the pencil + distilled water idea, and didn't even think of magic erasers...i bought a bunch for old cartridge cleaning, but man, they work on so much shit it's amazing. i can even get stains out of my tub with them, so they're prolly great for this too. thanks again man, knew there'd be some solid options on the cheap.

Do your friend's table over buying an AT lp60. I have the same model and it's fine but it's not really upgradable or adjustable at all. Which I didn't care about too much when I bought it, sure. but now I'm at a dead end. with your friend's table you'll probably end up spending about the same amount to get a table that's better and feasible to improve on with bits and pieces over the years instead of starting over

ah, what do you typically upgrade on these things though? he's usually got some decent equipment so i'm mostly hoping the new arm solves most of my issues (again current setup is tragically one of those cheap walmart aiwa knockoff all in one deals)

big ander

glad to see black milk's joint getting enzo-love

you're the best, man. i can totally do the pencil + distilled water idea, and didn't even think of magic erasers...i bought a bunch for old cartridge cleaning, but man, they work on so much shit it's amazing. i can even get stains out of my tub with them, so they're prolly great for this too. thanks again man, knew there'd be some solid options on the cheap.

ah, what do you typically upgrade on these things though? he's usually got some decent equipment so i'm mostly hoping the new arm solves most of my issues (again current setup is tragically one of those cheap walmart aiwa knockoff all in one deals)

just the standard arm and cart, usually. (I think real heads are also constantly replacing actual platters and belts.) I'd assume with your bud's table all of that would be possible, where the lp60 is intentionally a plug-and-play. more refined version of the all-in-one crosley-type sets. If the free one has literally just the table and belt, no arm or cart or needle, it might end up costing a bit more than the lp60 after you've grabbed all that. but it'll last you way longer, probably have better sound quality, and not eliminate the possiblityo f swapping out for say a better cart down the line

IrishNinja

RZA: Better Tomorrow was like a one-armed baby

says chemistry's not good, seems aware but not really. *sigh* at least we got 36 Seasons.

just the standard arm and cart, usually. (I think real heads are also constantly replacing actual platters and belts.) I'd assume with your bud's table all of that would be possible, where the lp60 is intentionally a plug-and-play. more refined version of the all-in-one crosley-type sets. If the free one has literally just the table and belt, no arm or cart or needle, it might end up costing a bit more than the lp60 after you've grabbed all that. but it'll last you way longer, probably have better sound quality, and not eliminate the possiblityo f swapping out for say a better cart down the line

ah, sounds like it's a win-win either way, then..just hoping that repair isn't super pricey. thanks again man, cant wait to hear it when it's done!

effzee

I'm not on the J. Cole hate train but I think I only liked 3 songs off of the new album.

That's only off the first listen. PRhyme on the other hand was great.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even after that NPR interview I tried to go back to this Cole album but.. It's just too flat and lifeless. If the production was close to as good as it is in places like Born Sinner it might be sonically interesting but it's not. Dull is the best way to describe it.

overcast

J. Cole just makes music that has no impact on me. I listen to it once and it's over with. Or in the case of this album I get almost done and can't finish.

A kid was playing Wet Dreamz at a kick back and I gave him the
M76vHCD.png

effzee

Even after that NPR interview I tried to go back to this Cole album but.. It's just too flat and lifeless. If the production was close to as good as it is in places like Born Sinner it might be sonically interesting but it's not. Dull is the best way to describe it.

Yeah kind of shocked that Born Sinner had better overall production.

It's a mediocre album from a mediocre artist who just so happens to be a good person

I was tempted to like it too since j Cole is a legit dude but it's boring

DominoKid

Everyone here knows Roman Reloaded was the number one selling rap album of 2012 right? I don't get why anyone thought her career might be in danger. Of course, it's really easy to say this in hindsight.

nah im surprised.didn't realize it had crawled all the way to platinum

Cheddahz

Banned
Stop playin with me. Y'all know that look like shit you can do in a hot minute.

Just because something looks like it was done in a hot minute doesn't mean it's shit. You can take a simple photo on your phone and it could mean more than something that took five hours to paint, so yeah, don't go around blasting the dude for "not putting any thought" into his covers

naw

like all these beats on the night lovell tape sound the same

still rather listen to this than a bones tape tho

PlayDat

I'm partial to the cover of my old self

Might be a little too #sadboyz for some, but I think it does a good job of mirroring the tone of the album. Mostly dark with some brightness off in the distance. The albums closer loveisintheair suggests the light is not dimming, but looming, ready to fill the room and bring detail to the featureless self-portrait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom