• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you listened to the radio you'd know Q had plenty of airtime there though.

I know Studio has gotten a lot of play, but dude did 200k first week without a song in major rotation. That's fan base. Since then the album has had legs you could attribute to making new fans through radio sure.

Tokubetsu

Q ending the year somewhere with drank stomach pains in a haze of weed smoke getting congratulation emails from the label like

"fuck i gotta make another album now huh?"

One of the biggest singles of the year, couldn't go gold. Label repackaged the album just to get her close lol.

Nicki also had one of the biggest singles of the year and flopped so bad the label is panicked.
Yeah but is that not her at number two orrrr
I understand the radio is becoming less relevant, however that time isn't now.

Tokubetsu

You watch interviews etc with Q and you get the impression that all he cares about is a) his daughter isn't starving or homeless and b) he can afford a bag of weed

zero ambition or drive

Kendrick wants you to love yourself
Soulo wants you to open your third eye
Q wants to go pick up his daughter from school and smoke an L

You watch interviews etc with Q and you get the impression that all he cares about is a) his daughter isn't starving or homeless and b) he can afford a bag of weed

zero ambition or drive

Kendrick wants you to love yourself
Soulo wants you to open your third eye
Q wants to go pick up his daughter from school and smoke an L

not even mentioning jay rock
this is what we've come to
release the damn album punch

Tokubetsu

not even mentioning jay rock
this is what we've come to
release the damn album punch

jay rock wants you to not get caught slipping

Xj6M0cj.png

overcast

I'd like to believe that Q's next album can't be worse than Oxymoron but nah...
This is actually right about another mainstream artist, J. Cole. Q makes better music and Oxymoron has 3 top tier tracks from this whole year.

Although, it is a disappointment. Considering HnC gets better each year imo.

Everybody stays who they are, as D'Angelo Barksdale would say. Q wasn't really into rapping, it took Punch and Top Dawg awhile to get him to quit selling drugs and rap. Then he became Kendrick's hype man and still wasn't really into rapping...until he saw the response Kendrick was getting.

Now he has fans, he has the concert response...but he still doesn't really seem that into rapping. It's some cool shit he does to get by that's safer and more lucrative than selling drugs. He takes care of his daughter, buys clothes, buys weed...that's about it. Dude isn't out there buying fancy cars and shit, he's a simple dude. I can respect that, but despite knowing who he is I still wish something could motivate him. During the build up to Oxymoron it seemed like GKMC was the motivator, given how many times he mentioned he wanted to top it. But now...eh.

Tokubetsu

Everybody stays who they are, as D'Angelo Barksdale would say. Q wasn't really into rapping, it took Punch and Top Dawg awhile to get him to quit selling drugs and rap. Then he became Kendrick's hype man and still wasn't really into rapping...until he saw the response Kendrick was getting.

Now he has fans, he has the concert response...but he still doesn't really seem that into rapping. It's some cool shit he does to get by that's safer and more lucrative than selling drugs. He takes care of his daughter, buys clothes, buys weed...that's about it. Dude isn't out there buying fancy cars and shit, he's a simple dude. I can respect that, but despite knowing who he is I still wish something could motivate him. During the build up to Oxymoron it seemed like GKMC was the motivator, given how many times he mentioned he wanted to top it. But now...eh.

the fucking lean and downers man, destroying all these rappers flows and energies for years at a time.

the fucking lean and downers man, destroying all these rappers flows and energies for years at a time.
I heard he quit lean. He relapsed when Oxy dropped, perhaps due to the pressure, but quit again.

Hopefully Q and Rashad eat up all those dope beats Kendrick passed over to make African world music.

injurai

Banned
I heard he quit lean. He relapsed when Oxy dropped, perhaps due to the pressure, but quit again.

Hopefully Q and Rashad eat up all those dope beats Kendrick passed over to make African world music.

good for him, damn he must have felt guilty
every interview he couldn't help talking about lean

I wonder how TDE feels about their 2014 honestly. They managed to dominate much or 2013's narrative without dropping an album, so it was only natural to assume they'd do well this year. Q had a #1 album and a legit hit record but outside of that...? Ab rushed a bad album out and injured his career. They signed Rashad who has a lot of potential/dropped a dope album. No Jay Rock. Kendrick left points on the field by not releasing during a wide open summer or fall, and dropped a single that had the most universally negative/neutral response I've seen in recent memory.

Most teams only have one big artist, sure. But the potential we saw in 2011/2012 hasn't fully been realized. Kendrick crushed the building with GKMC but that's it. I think his next album will be dope but wouldn't be shocked at all if it turns off many fans expecting #turnup shit. Robert Glasper, Terrace Martin, and Thundercat aren't going to impress the Enzos of the world, ie limited musical IQ folks. SZA isn't gonna be a star. Rashad probably won't get big. Jay Rock is regional. So....

Meanwhile Drake will almost certainly crush the building next year. I still think he should drop on the same day as Kendrick, that would be a boss move.

That would be so fucked, but if they made it similar to 50 and Kanye I can respect that. But I know they won't, I feel drake would just drop when Kenneth does, sitting behind the big red button the entire time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
fuck man the struggle is so real.
I think those are all Ws, except Nicki considering some random dude pretty much sold the same

This is why TDE and J. Cole have been talking about putting value in your music forever. Hip-hop music is so undervalued and because of ATL's current stint, vapid, and that's one of the biggest problems with the genre, even if people are trying to position their mixtapes as albums.

modern hip-hop fans are ready to drop 3 bills on a sneaker but not 9$ on an album

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
preach
although it's "kids these days" in general in my opinion
look at gaming side
how many of them bitch bitch bitch unless something goes on sale on steam for $1
stopping arguing over games and playing more of them is the best gaming-related decision I've made in the past year. Same thing with Steam kinda IMO. All these sales for indie games leaves me with no motivation to play any of them.

I'm a modern hip-hop fan too, so I'm not really yelling at the kids. But I understand that hip-hop is more powerful in products other than hip-hop music. Sneakers, Taylor Swift songs, trap, street rap imagery, etc.

im kind of gone so apologies if this doesn't make sense

stopping arguing over games and playing more of them is the best gaming-related decision I've made in the past year. Same thing with Steam kinda IMO. All these sales for indie games leaves me with no motivation to play any of them.

I'm a modern hip-hop fan too, so I'm not really yelling at the kids. But I understand that hip-hop is more powerful in products other than hip-hop music. Sneakers, Taylor Swift songs, trap, street rap imagery, etc.

im kind of gone so apologies if this doesn't make sense

no i understand haha
and as for the second part, hip-hop occupies a mafioso space that will always be emulated
no amount of macklemores or "i" songs can really change that

It's hard to be hip-hop

aint nobody livin off of doing windmills, but painting train rails? That's real

haha classified
my maritime friends were bumping him and then I realized he's from Nova Scotia

overcast

I personally don't think Q is less hungry than somebody like ASAP Rocky. Though that isn't a good comparison for either of them. So I see what you're saying PD. Kendrick also could drop an album full of bangers and sell well, but that's clearly not the direction he wants to go in.

On the hunger topic though. Ferg is a bit hungry, Danny is really hungry but cares too much about critical acclaim. Drake is pretty hungry, but he's growimg complacent in sound cause he can drop whatever and just dominated. Kanye sounded hungry in other directions, still worried about his upcoming music. Action isn't. Jay Rock clearly isn't. Ab is crazy. Old rappers don't give a shit overall. Nas seems like he wants to seem like he does, so he'll drop a super average album that sells very little.

I personally don't think Q is less hungry than somebody like ASAP Rocky. Though that isn't a good comparison for either of them. So I see what you're saying PD. Kendrick also could drop an album full of bangers and sell well, but that's clearly not the direction he wants to go in.

On the hunger topic though. Ferg is a bit hungry, Danny is really hungry but cares too much about critical acclaim. Drake is pretty hungry, but he's growimg complacent in sound cause he can drop whatever and just dominated. Kanye sounded hungry in other directions, still worried about his upcoming music. Action isn't. Jay Rock clearly isn't. Ab is crazy. Old rappers don't give a shit overall. Nas seems like he wants to seem like he does, so he'll drop a super average album that sells very little.

i think Rocky will be alright once the hype machine gets rolling
he's to me kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy of creating hype-->getting hungry-->creates more hype

interested in Meek Mill's next album i feel like that guy's always hungry

who was the hungriest this year?
almost want to say Rick Ross lol cash grab or not guy dropped two albums

overcast

I don't think I consider hungry to be just how many albums you release. Hunger can be that, but most of the time it is just how your music sounds. How you carry yourself. Or at least if it's how many albums you release, make them quality/different.

Ross making two mediocre samey albums or Spitta releasing 4 mixtapes I like at first before quickly leaving my rotation are signs that maybe they aren't hungry enough.

I mean Lil B drops multiple tapes a year, I wouldn't say he's hungriest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom