• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think those are all Ws, except Nicki considering some random dude pretty much sold the same

This is why TDE and J. Cole have been talking about putting value in your music forever. Hip-hop music is so undervalued and because of ATL's current stint, vapid, and that's one of the biggest problems with the genre, even if people are trying to position their mixtapes as albums.

modern hip-hop fans are ready to drop 3 bills on a sneaker but not 9$ on an album

Cole and TDE spent years cultivating and catering to a fanbase, compared to club oriented southern fast food music. If you have a fanbase you don't need radio or a lot of promotion. Cole blew a hole in the traditional label/music structure, as did Lacrae and many other artists this year.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out over the next 5 years. I could see more folks going the Chance The Rapper route in terms of distribution & management instead of signing with a label. There will always be desperate dumbasses like Bobby Shmurda (and Young Thug...) getting sucked dry by labels, but I definitely think we'll see more artists go independent or quasi independent. There really is no reason to sign a 360 deal in 2014 if you're dope and can market yourself. I think Migos really fucked up by signing one, given their club popularity. They'll never sell like Cole because they don't really have a "fanbase" but they're hot, and could make a lot more money independent. Just sign legit management and cake...

Q ending the year somewhere with drank stomach pains in a haze of weed smoke getting congratulation emails from the label like

"fuck i gotta make another album now huh?"

You watch interviews etc with Q and you get the impression that all he cares about is a) his daughter isn't starving or homeless and b) he can afford a bag of weed

zero ambition or drive

Kendrick wants you to love yourself
Soulo wants you to open your third eye
Q wants to go pick up his daughter from school and smoke an L
I swear Q was talking about already having a title for his next album before Oxymoron even dropped?

SCHOOLBOY Q: Honestly, this album was — if you look at all my albums, even the titles, Setbacks, Habits & Contradictions, Oxymoron, they play off of each other's meaning, you get what I'm saying? If you look at the covers, they all black and gray. If I picture a color in my head of my albums, I would picture black and gray.

For example, Kendrick last album, I would call that purple. Purple and yellow almost. You know what I'm saying? But all my albums I feel like they always dark. It has that eerie little feel to it.

Habits & Contradictions is the prequel to Setbacks. I had all these titles already in my head before I even dropped 'em. Like Setbacks, I knew that was gone be the first one, I knew Habits & Contradictions, I knew Oxymoron. I got two more albums that I already have the title to it and I know how I'ma play the theme off of it.

KELLEY: I remember one of the commandments on the wall [at TDE's studio], the motivational poster or whatever: substance.

SCHOOLBOY Q: Yeah, substance, yep. That's why I got two — I didn't put everything in this album. People always say they put they whole life in one album, but I don't believe you can put your whole life in one album. Yeah, right. It's only 16 songs. Like, how? You didn't go through s—- if you can put your whole life in one album. You honestly suck to me. I hate rappers that do that — like, say that type of s—-. You suck. You put your whole life in this album? Seriously? When were you born, 2004?

That's a part of it. Kendrick, he didn't give you everything, Ab-Soul ain't give you everything. Jay Rock ain't give you everything. This was all our plan before we even started. We know you gotta save some s—-, like, you gotta keep it going. Whether it's a story line or just substance.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/microphonecheck/2014/02/26/282136851/schoolboy-q-i-call-myself-all-american

I'm surprised YG sold 201K tbh.

Rocky just wants to model and make clothes brehs. Dude passed his torch to Ferg to run the ASAP Mob and Ferg is already starting to fumble it.

Meek gonna go triple plastic if he releases an album within the next 3 months.

Esch

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how things play out over the next 5 years....

If you're expecting a renaissance of dudes who rap good about shit, you're probably in for disappointment.

Expect more one-three word songs and pointless atmosphere projects that'd probably be better as instrumental joints.

If you're expecting a renaissance of dudes who rap good about shit, you're probably in for disappointment.

Expect more one-three word songs and pointless atmosphere projects that'd probably be better as instrumental joints.

Nah I'm talking about how artists approach label decisions and vice versa. Artists have more leverage than they've had in a long time due to social media and the decreasing relevance of radio. The question is whether rappers are willing to say no to big advances/rented cars/jewelry. Dudes from the projects are going to jump for that check but I definitely think we could see another wave of Cole/Kendrick/KRIT types who go the distribution route instead of signing a 360 deal at some label.

Speaking of leverage...Cole is going to be able to demand just about anything he wants for his next deal, assuming he signs to a label.

Was revisiting asap ferg tape because I don't recall ever finishing it and man I appreciate some of these songs that added much needed depth to him. Which none of the members seem to have tbh

Detox

Wayne fathered all of em, what happens in 10 years?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
dear rappers;

stop with the skits. just....stop.

thank you
*lighter sound*
*static*
*exhale*
breh
*faintly in the background* dis sum good ass weed breh
ye man dis sum good as weed
shit
man what am I gonna do about my baby moms breh
*faintly in the background* tell that ho to get a job yo
Transitions into the next track, "Tell That Ho to Get A Job"

EDIT: On a more serious note, I find a lot of rappers' motivations to do skits to be not much more than them growing up on albums that had good skits and it being sort of a throwback or they want their albums to be seen as more well crafted because they got a track where the homies are talking, cuh.

studyguy

I don't give a fuck about skits. So long as they're not like a single track alone or a long ass intro to a song. Whatever.

Also dudes on this forum brehs. I feel like this is the type of sheltered chick that's just waiting for some dude to nut in her face before she's turned out and doing all kinds of freaky ass sex. Also, dropping a grand on a girl before you wife her, yeesh..

Courage

Also dudes on this forum brehs. I feel like this is the type of sheltered chick that's just waiting for some dude to nut in her face before she's turned out and doing all kinds of freaky ass sex. Also, dropping a grand on a girl before you wife her, yeesh..

What do you expect from a video game forum exactly?
dPrJaGc.png

*lighter sound*
*static*
*exhale*
breh
*faintly in the background* dis sum good ass weed breh
ye man dis sum good as weed
shit
man what am I gonna do about my baby moms breh
*faintly in the background* tell that ho to get a job yo
Transitions into the next track, "Tell That Ho to Get A Job"

EDIT: On a more serious note, I find a lot of rappers' motivations to do skits to be not much more than them growing up on albums that had good skits and it being sort of a throwback or they want their albums to be seen as more well crafted because they got a track where the homies are talking, cuh.

Hahaha this is literally 90% of rap skits now. The ones on banco with the high pitched 'comedy voice' were so shit

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Doe-Active could have been made by ODB

This just came up on one of the Google Play "stations". I thought it was some kind of ODB tribute.

YG beefing with Mustard is not what I expected for end of the year.

YG and Mustard were on DJ Skee's show during the summer. They did not look to be on the same page at all during the interview. It didn't help that YG seemed high/drunk as a skunk mumbling while Mustard was trying to talk about making moves to prepare himself for 2015.

Pathos

Banned
The last album that had good skits that I listened to was probably GKMC. If you're not gonna put any effort in, don't even bother making skits. It's just a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom