• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The entire industry is fighting to see who gets the final L of the year.

I believe Wiz has one more in him IMO.

IrishNinja

no i understand haha
and as for the second part, hip-hop occupies a mafioso space that will always be emulated
no amount of macklemores or "i" songs can really change that

you really think so? curious to see if that holds up say 5 years from now, when hip hop is almost entirely a crossover genre

If you're expecting a renaissance of dudes who rap good about shit, you're probably in for disappointment.

Expect more one-three word songs and pointless atmosphere projects that'd probably be better as instrumental joints.

if we could shorten this somehow it'd make another fine OT title

*lighter sound*
*static*
*exhale*
breh
*faintly in the background* dis sum good ass weed breh
ye man dis sum good as weed
shit
man what am I gonna do about my baby moms breh
*faintly in the background* tell that ho to get a job yo
Transitions into the next track, "Tell That Ho to Get A Job"

flawless, it's like ive already heard it a dozen times too

dUlMFSY.png

http://instagram.com/p/xM5q1mqw0J/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=photo&modal=true

...how the fuck does this really happen?
like, i was puzzled when it was Bangledesh & Wayne; as a producer don't you charge a flat fee? why would you possibly provide a product you've not yet been compensated for?

Esch

Banned
I think the L of the year ultimately goes to Hip Hop itself.
dUlMFSY.png

Tragedies amok in the black community; small musical responses at all levels.

Nothing good from the 'big names'.

More and more deference given to smart dumb morons with incoherent arguments like Lord Jamar, Azalea Banks, and a smattering of other characters just cause they don't like white people.

J Cole ran the year in terms of album sales.

Igloo Australia blew up.

Rae Sremmurd.

Drake ran shit with throwaway tracks. Not even trying at all out here. He's sitting at that Vol. 3 1999 don't give a shit about anything status and every verse he drops is winning. Kendrick is choosing not to challenge him after throwing the first shots.

We all waited 2 years to see what Kendrick is doing, we got I and a bunch of wack features.

Other minor figures of import like Ferg, KRIT, and Spitta dropped boring/wack shit.

Wu Tang continues to not fix their structural problems and attitude.

Some good stuff, but overall
Brch14R.png

overcast

My favorite newcomer (personally) is absolutely Goldlink.

I wonder how many lurkers are reading our posts on hip-hop and actually consider them lol.

Detox

Mustard's finances are fucked or it's just how the game works. On the breakfast club he said the last cheque he got was rackcity or something over a year ago at least. He got a lot of hits to cash in since then.

DominoKid

royalty checks only come in periodically right? so he might not be up for any yet.

finishing up that SremmLife. Safe Sex and Paychecks is already the anthem.

Dereck

*lighter sound*
*static*
*exhale*
breh
*faintly in the background* dis sum good ass weed breh
ye man dis sum good as weed
shit
man what am I gonna do about my baby moms breh
*faintly in the background* tell that ho to get a job yo
Transitions into the next track, "Tell That Ho to Get A Job"

EDIT: On a more serious note, I find a lot of rappers' motivations to do skits to be not much more than them growing up on albums that had good skits and it being sort of a throwback or they want their albums to be seen as more well crafted because they got a track where the homies are talking, cuh.
These new jacks ain't never gon reach 2000s era Ludacris tier with the skits man

IrishNinja

Mustard's finances are fucked or it's just how the game works. On the breakfast club he said the last cheque he got was rackcity or something over a year ago at least. He got a lot of hits to cash in since then.

is that how shit works, is it typically just royalty checks and not an up front fee? there's so many more talented producers than MC's right now, i can't imagine why they're getting fucked like this

Detox

I agree but best believe London on da track is getting fucked by Birdman. Mike Will took the best route with Rae srummwhatever he knows the beats are hot.

BlackJace

dUlMFSY.png

More and more deference given to smart dumb morons with incoherent arguments like Lord Jamar, Azalea Banks, and a smattering of other characters just cause they don't like white people.

Igloo Australia blew up.

Rae Sremmurd.

Drake ran shit with throwaway tracks. Not even trying at all out here. He's sitting at that Vol. 3 1999 don't give a shit about anything status and every verse he drops is winning. Kendrick is choosing not to challenge him after throwing the first shots.

We all waited 2 years to see what Kendrick is doing, we got I and a bunch of wack features.

Other minor figures of import like Ferg, KRIT, and Spitta dropped boring/wack shit.

Brch14R.png

What didnt you like about Cadillactica?

Esch

Banned
What didnt you like about Cadillactica?

shit was just boring as hell. he didn't fix or work on any of the things i didn't like about him before that; like the bad hook game and his kinda provincial, boring worldview.

that's just me though. But i think that it's telling how mediocre cadillactica was cause there were lots of KRIT die hards in here for years and not a peep about this.

BlackJace

boring/same old KRIT stuff

shit was just boring as hell. he didn't fix or work on any of the things i didn't like about him before that; like the bad hook game and his kinda provincial, boring worldview.

that's just me though. But i think that it's telling how mediocre cadillactica was cause there were lots of KRIT die hards in here for years and not a peep about this.

I see. I found it largely enjoyable. A lot of the tracks are chill and would be good kickback music in the background, I guess that's why I'd say it was decent.

It'll be on my Top 10 this year, albeit pretty low on it.

DominoKid

its not that it's mediocre. its just that theres nothing new to critique him on. good or bad. it just really wasnt worth talking about.

Detox

its not that it's mediocre. its just that theres nothing new to critique him on. good or bad. it just really wasnt worth talking about.
Good point, wasn't in my top 10 but I just now realised I listened to it a lot. Just that it was Krit doing Krit which is fine by me, but nothing more.

codhand

dUlMFSY.png

Igloo Australia blew up.

Rae Sremmurd.

Brch14R.png

mM5Cc.gif

is that how shit works, is it typically just royalty checks and not an up front fee? there's so many more talented producers than MC's right now, i can't imagine why they're getting fucked like this

I think the fact there are so many talented producers contributes to them getting fucked. Dudes know they're replaceable so they get desperate and take deals that aren't advantageous to any real stability for them

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This Macklemore interview on Hot97 is pretty good. A full hour plus though.

- Talks about his experiences with Seattle activism
- Begin talking about Eric Garner & Mike Brown, says he is inspired by the mobilization, but has been taking time to figure out how to address without making it about him, making it authentic from a white person's perspective, but taking advantage of his position, not taking liberal "post-racial" perspectives on it etc.
- They talk about the awkwardness of starting the race conversation being one of the biggest things working against it
- Talk about the problem with the "We're all Americans" perspective and it being ignorant of cultural differences
- Ebro talks about how Staten Island is racially divided, lots of authority work there, and the prosecutors being representative of that constituency
- Macklemore drops some gems on white privileged:
"Why can I have a parental advisory logo on my album and parents come up to me and say that I'm the only rap they let their kids listen to?"
- "If I was black, what would my drug addiction look like?"
- Talk that white hip-hop fan shit that GAF-Hop wants to hear. "[They're amazed] like I'm the first rapper to rap about equality"
- They talk about "I don't like rap but I like Eminem" fans; "Like.. do you really? Raping your mother and wife and homophobia?"
- On the success of Thrift Shop "As soon as my niece likes a song, it's whack," anything becomes pop when it hits mass consumption
- Peter: "Soon there's going to be an all White crowd, watching a White rapper talk about how they didn't get the car they wanted for their sweet 16"
- Peter and Macklemore talk about hating all white rappers, and the importance of the black experience (which is what drew white kids to NWA in the first place," difference between white kids supporting then vs. now
- Macklemore "People are being introduced to hip hop now via Macklemore, Iggy, Mac Miller" unlike Tribe, Public Enemy etc.
- Talks about how they worked the radio. First went to Alternative, then "Rhythm," which is apparently where stuff bubbles or stuff with potential before Top 40 like Hot97, and then pop, by the time they got to pop it exploded. Doesn't know if it even reached Urban radio.
- Wait, Macklemore dissed Iovine?
- Can't Hold Us did better on Hot97 than Thrift Shop
- Agrees with Banks on white appropriation and devaluing Black art
- Peter calls Banks a genius, lol, argues that Fancy can be seen as one of the most clear examples of appropriation because of her jacking Mustard too
- They get deep in gritty about Banks' motivations, Peter and Ebro agree Iggy's laissez-faire and acting like she's above the issue response is destructive
- Macklemore: "It's clear who is taking, and who is contributing to the culture" & "You have to know your place in the culture," Macklemore mostly made general comments, made sure to say he's not talking about Iggy specifically
- Didn't know this, but it was mentioned and I thought it was a cool fact: Lynching wasn't even made illegal in the US until 30-40 years ago
- "Speaking of uncomfortable, I'm going to play a Kendrick Lamar song right now"
- Ebro says "evidence suggests this song did not do well for Kendrick. People stopped playing it"
- Macklemore goes into his Grammy thought process a bit more than he's done in the past, betraying Kendrick's trust, white liberal guilt, etc.
- "Yo if The Roots or Common drop, it's automatic for AotY nominations now"
- Peter saying Gambino's album pushed the envelope.. bish wet
- Peter's Grammy Theory: White voters will be split between Iggy and Eminem because their grandkids will be split over who they like more, leaving opportunity for Q and Gambino
- Album probably out into 2015, not early
- Loosely into battle rap #enzowasright

I think they touched on pretty much every topic imaginable besides the jew nose stuff.

IrishNinja

always dig the summaries enzo, mack doesnt really sound bad in stuff like this
sad to see banks still getting attention on this though, for however long

- They get deep in gritty about Banks' motivations, Peter and Ebro agree Iggy's laissez-faire and acting like she's above the issue response is destructive

honestly, banks has gone hard at her & TI on so much shit in the last year and the bitch has been toxic forever, so this is kinda lose/lose here

- Macklemore goes into his Grammy thought process a bit more than he's done in the past, betraying Kendrick's trust, white liberal guilt, etc.

could you expand on that? maybe it's obvious and my mind is just stuck on how very much gambino's album pushed that envelope, haha

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
could you expand on that? maybe it's obvious and my mind is just stuck on how very much gambino's album pushed that envelope, haha
Yeah sorry, I guess I should've been more specific. He posted private text messages on Instagram and that's when it blew up a bit, and he makes it sound like Kendrick kind of doesn't fuck with him for that reason.

Nibel

Thanks enzo, appreciated.

The interview seems pretty good aside from some (typically) dumb Rosenberg statements. 2015 becoming more and more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom