• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

K. You know what, HRD is right. I'mma give SremmLife a listen and a real genuine review.

y7w5IDx.jpg

I already know what's coming.

I commend Soulja Boy for still being around and making money in 2014 (VH1 checks, production checks, etc). Still think he fucked up by going full ratchet instead of aiming for that white money but hey.

Rae Shawarma tho...fuck them and everything they stand for. Yea I'll give them dap for not being the one hit wonders I assumed they'd be, but that's the same dap I'd give a homie who convinces a girl to let him sleep at her place, drive him places, etc while unemployed. It's not a dap you want to aspire to receive, nahmean. These dudes are wack on every fucking level. Even their hooks are idiotic.

But you know what the worst thing about Rae Srebrenica is? It's not the wackness of the music or the pathetic wink and nod they get from hipster fun boys. It's the racial component. I see that light skin gremlin get all the acclaim, meanwhile nobody says anything about that dark dude. He's just as wack but is looked down upon because he's not as light as Drake's left ass cheek. Worse yet they appropriated Kid N Play's imagery. It's a well known fact that Play was far more handsome than Kid, and an entire generation grew up on that fact. There would be no Idris Elba without Play. Just seeing Rae Sriracha sully the rich history of one of the GOAT dark skin Ws makes me sick to my stomach.

Cheddahz

Banned
But you know what the worst thing about Rae Srebrenica is? It's not the wackness of the music or the pathetic wink and nod they get from hipster fun boys. It's the racial component. I see that light skin gremlin get all the acclaim, meanwhile nobody says anything about that dark dude. He's just as wack but is looked down upon because he's not as light as Drake's left ass cheek. Worse yet they appropriated Kid N Play's imagery. It's a well known fact that Play was far more handsome than Kid, and an entire generation grew up on that fact. There would be no Idris Elba without Play. Just seeing Rae Sriracha sully the rich history of one of the GOAT dark skin Ws makes me sick to my stomach.

3MhA5pX.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
With every consecutive PD post I learn more about the intraracial divide between light skinned and dark skinned black people.

studyguy

I commend Soulja Boy for still being around and making money in 2014 (VH1 checks, production checks, etc). Still think he fucked up by going full ratchet instead of aiming for that white money but hey.

Rae Shawarma tho...fuck them and everything they stand for. Yea I'll give them dap for not being the one hit wonders I assumed they'd be, but that's the same dap I'd give a homie who convinces a girl to let him sleep at her place, drive him places, etc while unemployed. It's not a dap you want to aspire to receive, nahmean. These dudes are wack on every fucking level. Even their hooks are idiotic.

M9XMtim.gif

I can't disagree.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Big Ghost approves....

kamspy

If Mackelmore is really an S Tier troll, I'm gonna give it up to him. The second single on his next album will be about Police violence. Put all the money you have on that bet fam.

In the video he'll be huddled in a dark Ferguson-esque street with the most ethnically diverse group of teens that has ever been captured on camera. Ryan Lewis will build bridges from the Vatos in LA, to the brick mansions in Chiraq, straight to private catholic schools in heartland U.S.A.

Double Platinum and on rotation at Starbucks for a year.

kamspy

Someone screencap any frame of that interview and MS Paint "Problems?" at the bottom.

The skinny mustache is a dead give away.

Esch

Banned
you kidding me breh

not trying to be responsible for soulja girls unable to give consent getting taken advantage of by birdman

DominoKid

Whats some good rap youtube channels besides Montreality and Noisey. I need some shit to watch when Im avoiding going to sleep.

Ill also accept non-rap youtube channels.

Shit with interviews, music videos, interrsting stuff in general.

Ill also accept non-rap youtube channels.
If you're into rock/guitar nerdery, Premier Guitar's YT channel does this jawn, Rig Rundown, where they meet up with artists while their gear is being set up on stage/taken down pre/post show and have them explain all the oddities and brass tacks behind their equipment. It's kinda boring but their all long as fuck and definitely provide good procrastination bullshit. Strictly guitars/bass, genre is usually irrelevant, as they go for higher end acts, but it's usually dad rock/indie.

Esch

Banned
dPrJaGc.png
~Official Eschstradamus SremmLife review~
dPrJaGc.png

I went into this album with a pretty negative inital look. After all let's be honest, on the big songs these dudes pretty much can't complete a simple verse on beat. I expected to be bored. A lot of trap albums have a pretty monotonous approach with pretty telegraphed, formulaic song types. And in that sense SremmLife ain't different, but they pull some of it off with a bit of panache. This IS a genuinely entertaining album, in the sense that it has some ups, tons of downs, and that it (unintentionally) kinda paints a certain picture of younger people.

Basically, this is a hip hop boy band album. We might have exaggerated a little with the trolling saying it's for 12 year olds, but make no mistake its for 14-18 year olds. I would actually say it's a sonically pretty good album, like Mike Will pretty much blessed this joint back to front and showed some versatility. There are bangers (in several different lanes), there's kinda casual small house party music, etc etc. It's what Rae Sremm themselves are actually doing that makes it mostly cringe for any sort of adult listener. I'll admit are some moments of sonic personality that come through though, like in the French Montana / Max B sense where these guys are getting the most out of the singsongy rap lane and it's not bad. It's everywhere else that it falls apart.

It's just that some of these songs come off as so.....sad and endearing at the same time
dUlMFSY.png
. There are a lot of moments on here where these dudes rap about how they don't need their parents. They live on their own. They make their own money! We can do what we want! We're big boys! Tracy McGrady money! It just kinda reminds me of when you turn on Nickelodeon and there's some absurd fantasy scenario on one of these live TV shows where these 15 kids basically live by themselves and their parents let them do whatever they want, yet for some reason they spend all their time whining about them. It's just too easy to laugh at. Lots of shots at 'old n****s', and how 'young n****s getting it'. But thats just pure fantasy for our generation. Even career drug dealers don't make that much anymore. It's just pure ducktales, and you get the impression music this insecure wouldn't even exist if young men actually had real opportunities to succeed. And in that sense it's hard to decry, like when Tokubetsu says that he thinks Drake is better than the Jay-Z / Nas generation. You know he knows in his heart that it's not and never will be true, but he knows that we need to stop looking back on our elders in order to move forward. It's kind of innocent in that sense, the intent and the desperate dream is for forward movement where there isn't much space to actually accomplish much. But I don't put much stock in painting a hypothetical picture of how things could be. Tell me what you want to smash to make it real. Tell me what you want to build to make it real. Don't play pretend. It's things like this that make Rae Sremmurd kinda ideal music for people who want to uplift themselves. It all depends on how you digest it I guess.

Songwise, there's a lot of trash on here, its about 80% trash because the bars are wack across the board and well, they sound like high schoolers so they can't really sell the swag aspect to me. I liked Lit Like Bic, No Type, and Up Like Trump. These songs have some good energy and are catchy. Lit Like Bic especially is a great opener and has some genuine passion in it. I want to enjoy Unlock the Swag but these dudes' undescended testicles make it kinda difficult to like.
TxRcqGw.png
The Nicki and Big Sean songs are whatever. Not the worst shit i've ever heard. That said, there are some comically bad joints on here. My X is one of the saddest attempts at covering up your hurt feelings over a woman ever to hit wax. This Could Be Us is..... it's like a Sean Paul song teleported to 2014 and fiddled around a little bit. Come Get Her is more fatherless stripper-simp material. Pass. Safe Sex Pay Checks is amazingly bad, like a 16-bit Avicii remix of an Akon song.

Overall this shit has some promise, but the overall delusion and fuccboi nature of it makes it pretty hard for anyone that has chest hair to appreciate.. It's not even that catchy, listen to these guys deliver a line and reevaluate what you're doing with your life. If you're a teenage girl or enzo carry on. HRD i can't believe you got angry at me over dapping up some shit like this. This is justin bieber rap. This is kidz bop trap. overall this is music delivered with passion with decent production but if you like something based on solely that you're probably a Kanye stan and should chide your mom for not signing you up for Big Brother Big Sister cause you needed a guide in life.

3/11 Esch scale.

iOi7j9TggtU1h.gif

Never knew GAF-HOP was a thing, anyway I been fucking with Logic lately, dude really bout the music hustle and at least half of his discography is on repeat lately, dude really knows how to pick his beats.

Welcome to Forever is problem my favorite album in terms of overall feel good music, Under Pressure has the best production but I fuck with WTF's sound selection more even if its not technically better produced than UP.

His first two albums are forgettable but the latter 3 is where he really shines, I've never really cared for super deep lyrics in rap, I much prefer good flow/delivery/beat/swag over super lyricism, probably why Logic is really the only other rapper besides Eminem that I've fucked with heavily (Kendrick got very close). In general, I find artists rarely have it in them to make quality music consistently, well certainly not good enough for me to give their discography a chance, I really don't like checking out new music unless I really connect with someone's style, thats the only time I'll listen to more than one of their song. Rap is my favorite genre but I find most rappers lack the hustle in their music, like they didn't put in any effort to make their music better, rather they just put out anything that's passable for their fans, coz making money is more important than putting out quality music. Any art devoid of passion and devotion is meaningless.

Anyway, really can't wait for his next album, he will certainly drop next year like he does every year, but it's kdot time when 2015 starts, the hype is gonna be unreal when the machine starts rolling.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Never knew GAF-HOP was a thing, anyway I been fucking with Logic lately, dude really bout the music hustle and at least half of his discography is on repeat lately, dude really knows how to pick his beats.

Welcome to Forever is problem my favorite album in terms of overall feel good music, Under Pressure has the best production but I fuck with WTF's sound selection more even if its not technically better produced than UP.

His first two albums are forgettable but the latter 3 is where he really shines, I've never really cared for super deep lyrics in rap, I much prefer good flow/delivery/beat/swag over super lyricism, probably why Logic is really the only other rapper besides Eminem that I've fucked with heavily (Kendrick got very close). In general, I find artists rarely have it in them to make quality music consistently, well certainly not good enough for me to give their discography a chance, I really don't like checking out new music unless I really connect with someone's style, thats the only time I'll listen to more than one of their song. Rap is my favorite genre but I find most rappers lack the hustle in their music, like they didn't put in any effort to make their music better, rather they just put out anything that's passable for their fans, coz making money is more important than putting out quality music. Any art devoid of passion and devotion is meaningless.

Anyway, really can't wait for his next album, he will certainly drop next year like he does every year, but it's kdot time when 2015 starts, the hype is gonna be unreal when the machine starts rolling.

Sup. So, do you regret your username or are you just happy that nobody knows who Lamont is, so you just look like you're really into Catholicism?

Sup. So, do you regret your username or are you just happy that nobody knows who Lamont is, so you just look like you're really into Catholicism?
hahah its like u read my mind, but nah I don't regret my username, he had potential and the dre co-sign was what gave me hope, kinda funny coz i always liked jon connor as well and dre recently signed him, hope it works out coz I feel like dre would do wonders for connor, i always feel like he's only a song away from blowing up.

oh and logic sampled chrono trigger and it happens to be one of my favourite tracks, my favourite game and my favourite rapper on a classic, doesn't get any better than that.

WanderingWind

hahah its like u read my mind, but nah I don't regret my username, he had potential and the dre co-sign was what gave me hope, kinda funny coz i always liked jon connor as well and dre recently signed him, hope it works out coz I feel like dre would do wonders for connor, i always feel like he's only a song away from blowing up.

You and I will get along fine. I like Connor a lot too. He's like the new Rhymefest. I hope he blows up, because if he has to go back to that factory, man, he's gonna have a hard time getting along with his coworkers...lol.

Tokubetsu

oh and logic sampled chrono trigger and it happens to be one of my favourite tracks, my favourite game and my favourite rapper on a classic, doesn't get any better than that.

You and I will get along fine. I like Connor a lot too. He's like the new Rhymefest. I hope he blows up, because if he has to go back to that factory, man, he's gonna have a hard time getting along with his coworkers...lol.

still fire imo

"this bitch told me not to do that coz it was making the other workers feel like my mind not the job...BITCH MY MIND NOT ON THE JOB, THE FUCK YOU TALKIN BOUT!??!?!?"

"music is my passion, that was just a fucking job"

WanderingWind

"this bitch told me not to do that coz it was making the other workers feel like my mind not the job...BITCH MY MIND NOT ON THE JOB, THE FUCK YOU TALKIN BOUT!??!?!?"

"music is my passion, that was just a fucking job"

Hahaha yuuup. If 2014 was good enough for me to be bothered to make a list, that mixtape would be my #3. Only knocks are, you know, using famous beats is easy mode. I want to see him on some new production in 2015. He had a bit of buzz going when he went on the cypher, then didn't really do shit. I hope he gets out at least one album in 2015.

don't even care bout detox, i just want this song

Hahaha yuuup. If 2014 was good enough for me to be bothered to make a list, that mixtape would be my #3. Only knocks are, you know, using famous beats is easy mode. I want to see him on some new production in 2015. He had a bit of buzz going when he went on the cypher, then didn't really do shit. I hope he gets out at least one album in 2015.
man u know how it is when u workin with dre, either u the greatest or u nothin but yeah I agree on famous beats being easy, but connor still kills it you know, but yeah now that he's with dre, we'll get to hear him on some dope ass beats. If he doesn't drop next year then dre has given up, he only fucks with the finest.

yeah i enjoyed the mixtape, blame game and bound 2 was dope and 2014 was definitely one of the worse years for rap, still yet to check out cole's new album but yeah i'm not in any hurry, cole is good but it feels like he's already peaked, but yeah i respect his hustle as well, he been on the grind since his mixtape days.

yep

https://soundcloud.com/statikselekt/alarm-clock-ft-ab-soul-jon-connor-logic

HiResDes

Awe inspiring Sremmlife review Esch, but I have to be perfectly honest I haven't even listened to that shit yet. FUCK the moonface.

WanderingWind

It's not a joke to say it's kid rap. I don't see how listening to kid music makes you some well-rounded person. I also don't listen to Miley Cyrus (is she even a thing anymore?) Bieber or whoever is next in the pipeline. But kids deserve music for them too. There is no 12 year old who is really, really feeling or understanding Kanye talking about his leopard stripe couch or Jay-Z mispronouncing Basquiat. No kid is bopping whatever Soundcloud trap star is talking about. Let the kids listen to rap in the back of their mom's van. They got to have some way of feeling like a rebel and hearing kids rap lyrics, written by adults, talking about "fuck parents" or whatever is for the children. Not for anybody here.

Not even CountBlackula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom