• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

I don't see what distinguishes them from other mindless trap music other than their age. Ducktales is a staple at this point. Rick Ross released 2 albums this year full of them. It's party music filled with bangers. As long as the production is good and they have the energy and charisma to make a catchy song, then yeah I consider it pretty solid on what it sets out to do.

It's not a joke to say it's kid rap. I don't see how listening to kid music makes you some well-rounded person. I also don't listen to Miley Cyrus (is she even a thing anymore?) Bieber or whoever is next in the pipeline. But kids deserve music for them too. There is no 12 year old who is really, really feeling or understanding Kanye talking about his leopard stripe couch or Jay-Z mispronouncing Basquiat. No kid is bopping whatever Soundcloud trap star is talking about. Let the kids listen to rap in the back of their mom's van. They got to have some way of feeling like a rebel and hearing kids rap lyrics, written by adults, talking about "fuck parents" or whatever is for the children. Not for anybody here.

Not even CountBlackula.

WanderingWind
Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
(Today, 07:58 AM)

Nibel

Lord Jamar: Eminem Is No Different Than Macklemore

iboGRyMKCu7i5i.gif

You watch interviews etc with Q and you get the impression that all he cares about is a) his daughter isn't starving or homeless and b) he can afford a bag of weed

zero ambition or drive

Kendrick wants you to love yourself
Soulo wants you to open your third eye
Q wants to go pick up his daughter from school and smoke an L
uh he's already successful with his music career, dunno how that means zero ambition or drive, nothing wrong with caring for his daughter when his able, nothing worse than parents not giving a fuck bout their kids because they have bigger priorities in life.

and he loves his weed, shit...what rap fan doesn't? not many im assuming

Esch

Banned
naw let's talk about Makonnen, Key, Maco, and Father now. Who got the most swag?
OG Maco
I don't see what distinguishes them from other mindless trap music other than their age. Ducktales is a staple at this point. Rick Ross released 2 albums this year full of them. It's party music filled with bangers. As long as the production is good and they have the energy and charisma to make a catchy song, then yeah I consider it pretty solid on what it sets out to do.
But the ducktales is what keeps Ross from ever being anything more than the C+/B- he is. At least with Ross though it's fully kind of a show stage persona. He's kinda played it up to WWE level.

Courage

But the ducktales is what keeps Ross from ever being anything more than the C+/B- he is. At least with Ross though it's fully kind of a show stage persona. He's kinda played it up to WWE level.

You're right Rick Ross has the whole coke kingpin going for him which translates in his music to an extent, but how much better is he exactly? C+/B- tier is pretty much what I'd say Rae Sremmurd is. I don't see how their ages or life experiences detract a banger from being a banger; I barely listen to the lyrics on these joints.

Esch

Banned
You're right Rick Ross has the whole coke kingpin going for him which translates in his music to an extent, but how much better is he exactly? C+/B- tier is pretty much what I'd say Rae Sremmurd is. I don't see how their ages or life experiences detract a banger from being a banger; I barely listen to the lyrics on these joints.

No see, Ross is actually a good rapper when he wants to be tho. Like he has skill, can do multisyllable shit, internal rhyme etc. He's not Kool G Rap but hey.

Courage

No see, Ross is actually a good rapper when he wants to be tho. Like he has skill, can do multisyllable shit, internal rhyme etc. He's not Kool G Rap but hey.

Eh, I guess we place emphases on different things. While I'd prefer someone to have a flow and be able to ride a beat nicely, it won't ruin a song for me.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
umm... I'm listening to Neon Icon for the first time. This is actually the first time I'm listening to anything from Riff Raff. Why isn't it as horrible as I thought? This so completely different from what I usually listening to, I'm confused.

Courage

umm... I'm listening to Neon Icon for the first time. This is actually the first time I'm listening to anything from Riff Raff. Why isn't it as horrible as I thought? This so completely different from what I usually listening to, I'm confused.

It's the production. Plus some of his rhymes are fucking hilarious.

studyguy

It's the production. Plus some of his rhymes are fucking hilarious.

That dude is going to fucking wrestle.
Like going rapper to wrestler to stay relevant is some weird ass move.
But if switching lanes from dropping bars to dropping powerbombs makes that dude happy then whatever.
He seems like he'd fit right in with that clownshoes setup at WWE.

Courage

That dude is going to fucking wrestle.
Like going rapper to wrestler to stay relevant is some weird ass move.

It's Riff Raff breh. I wouldn't be surprised if he won the WWE World Heavyweight Championship and then rapped about it on his next album. It'd be the best thing WWE has done in a while.

Bishop outchea interrogating our musical tastes and taking us to court

image.php
lol its pretty rare for me to find people who like the same music as i do (mostly my rap music), wanderingwind seems pretty cool, so i gotta see whats up before we proceed!

Jamar just comes off as a hater in that shit more than anything else. Shit's too funny.
dude is annoying as fuck, his like a lame version of charlemagne tha god but with the hate jacked up way too high.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
lol, pretty much exactly what i was thinking...

ok answer this for me:

do you like yeezus?

I would rather shove a splintered #2 up my dick hole then listen to Yeezus again.

ka62txhulb.png

I am not agreeing here; his sheer ignorance was just hilarious.

Ah. You can never tell. Some people hang on Jamar's nuts like they're your last dollar at th strip club. I think he's King of the Dustmen, talking endlessly about how hip hop needs to be this and that and really means "I wish I was not an old, shriveled dick." Fuck out of here with your low rent Paul Mooney act.

dPrJaGc.png
~Official Eschstradamus SremmLife review~
dPrJaGc.png

I went into this album with a pretty negative inital look. After all let's be honest, on the big songs these dudes pretty much can't complete a simple verse on beat. I expected to be bored. A lot of trap albums have a pretty monotonous approach with pretty telegraphed, formulaic song types. And in that sense SremmLife ain't different, but they pull some of it off with a bit of panache. This IS a genuinely entertaining album, in the sense that it has some ups, tons of downs, and that it (unintentionally) kinda paints a certain picture of younger people.

Basically, this is a hip hop boy band album. We might have exaggerated a little with the trolling saying it's for 12 year olds, but make no mistake its for 14-18 year olds. I would actually say it's a sonically pretty good album, like Mike Will pretty much blessed this joint back to front and showed some versatility. There are bangers (in several different lanes), there's kinda casual small house party music, etc etc. It's what Rae Sremm themselves are actually doing that makes it mostly cringe for any sort of adult listener. I'll admit are some moments of sonic personality that come through though, like in the French Montana / Max B sense where these guys are getting the most out of the singsongy rap lane and it's not bad. It's everywhere else that it falls apart.

It's just that some of these songs come off as so.....sad and endearing at the same time
dUlMFSY.png
. There are a lot of moments on here where these dudes rap about how they don't need their parents. They live on their own. They make their own money! We can do what we want! We're big boys! Tracy McGrady money! It just kinda reminds me of when you turn on Nickelodeon and there's some absurd fantasy scenario on one of these live TV shows where these 15 kids basically live by themselves and their parents let them do whatever they want, yet for some reason they spend all their time whining about them. It's just too easy to laugh at. Lots of shots at 'old n****s', and how 'young n****s getting it'. But thats just pure fantasy for our generation. Even career drug dealers don't make that much anymore. It's just pure ducktales, and you get the impression music this insecure wouldn't even exist if young men actually had real opportunities to succeed. And in that sense it's hard to decry, like when Tokubetsu says that he thinks Drake is better than the Jay-Z / Nas generation. You know he knows in his heart that it's not and never will be true, but he knows that we need to stop looking back on our elders in order to move forward. It's kind of innocent in that sense, the intent and the desperate dream is for forward movement where there isn't much space to actually accomplish much. But I don't put much stock in painting a hypothetical picture of how things could be. Tell me what you want to smash to make it real. Tell me what you want to build to make it real. Don't play pretend. It's things like this that make Rae Sremmurd kinda ideal music for people who want to uplift themselves. It all depends on how you digest it I guess.

Songwise, there's a lot of trash on here, its about 80% trash because the bars are wack across the board and well, they sound like high schoolers so they can't really sell the swag aspect to me. I liked Lit Like Bic, No Type, and Up Like Trump. These songs have some good energy and are catchy. Lit Like Bic especially is a great opener and has some genuine passion in it. I want to enjoy Unlock the Swag but these dudes' undescended testicles make it kinda difficult to like.
TxRcqGw.png
The Nicki and Big Sean songs are whatever. Not the worst shit i've ever heard. That said, there are some comically bad joints on here. My X is one of the saddest attempts at covering up your hurt feelings over a woman ever to hit wax. This Could Be Us is..... it's like a Sean Paul song teleported to 2014 and fiddled around a little bit. Come Get Her is more fatherless stripper-simp material. Pass. Safe Sex Pay Checks is amazingly bad, like a 16-bit Avicii remix of an Akon song.

Overall this shit has some promise, but the overall delusion and fuccboi nature of it makes it pretty hard for anyone that has chest hair to appreciate.. It's not even that catchy, listen to these guys deliver a line and reevaluate what you're doing with your life. If you're a teenage girl or enzo carry on. HRD i can't believe you got angry at me over dapping up some shit like this. This is justin bieber rap. This is kidz bop trap. overall this is music delivered with passion with decent production but if you like something based on solely that you're probably a Kanye stan and should chide your mom for not signing you up for Big Brother Big Sister cause you needed a guide in life.

3/11 Esch scale.

iOi7j9TggtU1h.gif

pKvr2pq.gif

holy shit lmao

studyguy

Esch, you have a gift son.
Also I'm suffering out here in CA right now. Shit's the apocalypse. Snow and shit falling all around southern California.
This must be what the ice age felt like.

Nibel

Ah. You can never tell. Some people hang on Jamar's nuts like they're your last dollar at th strip club. I think he's King of the Dustmen, talking endlessly about how hip hop needs to be this and that and really means "I wish I was not an old, shriveled dick." Fuck out of here with your low rent Paul Mooney act.

Agreed. VladTV is kind of my guilty pleasure, a lot of it is straight up hater-trash and it's funny how Jamar acts as all-knowing dude but very often contradicts himself and shit. Paul Mooney comparison is on fucking point.

ilSrhKfT9DTDh.gif

(fuck RS though)

I would rather shove a splintered #2 up my dick hole then listen to Yeezus again.
lol you pass the test, i understand everyone has different taste but every kanye fan knows he can make great music, so i don't understand how anyone can even compare yeezus shit to his previous works, its like he wanted to be different only for the sake of being different, especially with the fake "no radio hits" shit he was spewing to justify the flop, he's changed so much since his early days, he has a huge ego now and it is affecting his work, i can't think of any recent songs thats decent by him. He has another chance with his next album, but if its wack again then thats the beginning of the end of his music career, I don't understand how someone can fall off so hard so fast after making so many good albums, and the fans who say "its supposed to be different, its ahead of its time u just don't get it, kanye is a genius" is just making excuses for how bad yeezus is.

its good to know there's people out there that feel the same coz at the end of the day its the music that matters, it really doesn't matter who it comes from, im sure there's people defending yeezus only because its kanye, which is really stupid because dickriding any artist to that level is just fucking insane to me.

shit lathered in chocolate still taste like shit lol

i miss pink friday minaj, so sad to see her stooping to anaconda levels just to stay relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom