• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

I'm way more down on kanye's next project. Everything makes it sound like Ye is in some weird zone where he just doesn't know what sound he wants. All these collabs being mentioned, meh. Plus the McCartney song was awful.

Although Ye projects always have a ton of "mentioned guests".

I'm way more down on kanye's next project. Everything makes it sound like Ye is in some weird zone where he just doesn't know what sound he wants. All these collabs being mentioned, meh. Plus the McCartney song was awful.

He's been in this mode since at least Yeezus, maybe through MBDTF. He was carried by the people he worked with big time on Yeezus. Almost every song on the album feels more his co-producers than his own. I consider that a good sign tbh, because it turned out alright at least once before.

Esch

Banned

I mean you liked his previous 2 albums that were just a bunch of shit thrown together willy nilly, so why be down?

injurai

Banned

Various Artists (feat. Kanye West)

I swear that's what he is becoming.

Courage

I agree that Yeezus worked so well because of his coproducers but I don't know if I agree that he doesn't know what sound he wants. I feel he always knows what he's aiming for, but doesn't have the insight to execute it on his own, especially something as experimental (for him at least) as Yeezus. The collaborative nature of his album making is what specifically made it sound so varied; he's always getting input from other producers.

Plus the McCartney song was awful.

i4kXMt7ThvwQs.gif

dont act like ye didnt drop the most emotional track of 2k15 day one.

even that ye x keef track has grown on me, despite the weak ass drums. could knock with beefed up production.

overcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thtPhtMcdlY&spfreload=10

this track better be on the album shiiiiiet. or at least released before the album to hype it up.
Never really got the love for this. It won't be on the album.
I mean you liked his previous 2 albums that were just a bunch of shit thrown together willy nilly, so why be down?
This sounds like it's gonna turn out being some grab for cash. His heart isn't in music. If he gets the right collaborations it could work though, yeah. I was kind of skeptical of Yeezus before hand too though.

Trey

i was bad, he hasn't given a decent feature in over a calendar year, he's had multiple corny holier than thou interviews over the past 8 - 10 months, he's playing at this weirdo appearance thing that is firmly in line with a tenth grader/recent OFWG member's concept of "challenging the mainstream", his flow sounds like he ran it through an angst filter, he thinks the quality of a live performance is determined by how much faux artsy shit is involved on stage...basically dude hit the self destruct button in 2014

ok.

my knowledge of Kendrick this year extends as far as i and that Colbert song, which averages out to eh. I also liked his feature on that flylo song, though I remember folks in here not feeling it.

I dunno, I suppose I'm giving Kendrick the benefit of the doubt. Just curious why the thread was coming for his crown is all.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I mean, I know y'alls favorites are albums that I listened to when I was a teen and all, so I ain't mad. I don't go by what was more important to the culture, or what was the biggest impact. I just go by what album I listened to the most. I don't put too much more thought into my personal favorites than that.

*shrug*

Also, I been saying this for years. Shouldn't be a surprise to you non newjacks.

ok.

my knowledge of Kendrick this year extends as far as i and that Colbert song, which averages out to eh. I also liked his feature on that flylo song, though I remember folks in here not feeling it.

I dunno, I suppose I'm giving Kendrick the benefit of the doubt. Just curious why the thread was coming for his crown is all.

It's impossible to appreciate how far he's fallen without listening to GKMC and Section .80. Those are masterpiece albums, GKMC is probably the best rap album of the past decade...and that would be a very widely held belief. And then that string of features just after GKMC with Nostalgia, Jealous, etc. He was very literally the best rapper in the world by virtually every conceivable metric.

Also, I been saying this for years. Shouldn't be a surprise to you non newjacks.

It's less a surprise and more a consistent source of hilariousness

even that ye x keef track has grown on me, despite the weak ass drums. could knock with beefed up production.

giphy.gif

that shit may have been kanyes worst feature IMO

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Trey, this board has talked shit about every major album before its release date. People hated Section.80, people were salivating for GKMC to fail (especially after Swimming Pools and the Recipe were the singles). Now, even Toku admits it was a classic.

If his new album is any good, they'll say so, but hating in advance gives everybody an out in case we get Lasers 2.0.

It's less a surprise and more a consistent source of hilariousness

Eh. It's to be expected. I mean, I could lie and just claim 36 chambers like every other white rap fan I ever met, but you got to be real with yourself.

Trey

It's impossible to appreciate how far he's fallen without listening to GKMC and Section .80. Those are masterpiece albums, GKMC is probably the best rap album of the past decade...and that would be a very widely held belief. And then that string of features just after GKMC with Nostalgia, Jealous, etc. He was very literally the best rapper in the world by virtually every conceivable metric.

You don't have to convince me of any word here, 'sides maybe the first half sentence. He's not kicking around anything GKMC level lately but he doesn't really have to. I get your 'what have you done for me lately' stance, but it's not like his talent has gone anywhere.

Or maybe it has - worst case scenario his album is mad eh and we all just go back to his 2011-2013 output.

Trey, this board has talked shit about every major album before its release date. People hated Section.80, people were salivating for GKMC to fail (especially after Swimming Pools and the Recipe were the singles). Now, even Toku admits it was a classic.

If his new album is any good, they'll say so, but hating in advance gives everybody an out in case we get Lasers 2.0.

Yeah, this also plays into why I'm not worried. Or at least not seeing what a few posters in this thread see. The months leading up to GKMC, the release thread, and the week afterward was an entire arc in itself.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm more excited about Lupe's next than Kendrick's ATM. Lupe been putting out heat and Madonna is better than anything Kendrick has done in the past year.

Yeah, that's the type of shit that works as a one-off. When are we getting the debut???
I think his deal might be all fucked. He was signed to Akon before being signed to GOOD Music. Should've resolved itself by now, I feel.

Even though I gave dude AotY and he's put out some ridiculous features over the past few years I'm still not really checking for him. I don't know why. Hard to get excited over CyHi.

Young Magus

Yeah after that and 3030, it was a wrap. Even parts of Both Sides suffered because he was working on 3030 at the same time iirc

Dude fell off hard after Both Sides.

Damn, any recommendations on the good stuff?

Yeah imagine if Nujabes had worked with some rappers who were actually decent.

We talking about Japanese rappers still or the American ones as well?

Do you not see the signs?

11/10

The first 3030 and No Need For Alarm are classics. Future Development is a solid album I feel is overlooked because it came out years after it was supposed to (1996). His debut I Wish My Brother George Was Here is good but honestly, I listen to it the least.

And if you want to get into Heiroglyphics as a group, I can't recommend 3rd Eye Vision enough.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

The first Heiroglyphics album, Del's "I Wish my brother were here,", "no need for alarm" and both sides of the brain.

Should also check out Casual's record "fear itself" and a group record Souls of mischief

The late 90's early 2000's was a real good time for Oakland hip.hop

IWMBGWH and No Need are both classics. Future Development has some fire on it, but that's the last solo release I fuck with. Both Sides went all in on this kitchen sink Hieroglyphics production and Del's character shifted from an eccentric dude who clowned any and everything to being weird for the sake of being weird. There are some salvageable tracks on it though. 3030 is one of the GOAT concept albums. Throw everything else in the bushes.

edit: his flow really falls off with each successive release following No Need, everything post 3030 is pretty much unlistenable

Both Sides is uneven as hell. The highs are excellent (Jaw Gymnastics, Press Rewind) but the lows are grating (Pet Peeves).

SoM's No Man's Land is one of those albums that suffered only because of the strength of the one before it. A solid album that was panned simply because it wasn't "95 Til Infinity" like people wanted. Trilogy outside of Medicate though...
6c0Zhrm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom