• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
So about this:

Young_Dirty_Bastard_A_Dirty_Tomorrow-front-large.jpg

As an ODB fan... am I wrong for not feeling Young Dirty Bastard? My reasoning being that he tries way too much like his father but on the other hand ODB was his father so maybe it's genetic. He's also trying to battle testicular cancer by squeezing his ass cheeks which is even wackier than anything ODB ever said.

Young Magus

The first 3030 and No Need For Alarm are classics. Future Development is a solid album I feel is overlooked because it came out years after it was supposed to (1996). His debut I Wish My Brother George Was Here is good but honestly, I listen to it the least.

And if you want to get into Heiroglyphics as a group, I can't recommend 3rd Eye Vision enough.

The first Heiroglyphics album, Del's "I Wish my brother were here,", "no need for alarm" and both sides of the brain.

Should also check out Casual's record "fear itself" and a group record Souls of mischief

The late 90's early 2000's was a real good time for Oakland hip.hop

IWMBGWH and No Need are both classics. Future Development has some fire on it, but that's the last solo release I fuck with. Both Sides went all in on this kitchen sink Hieroglyphics production and Del's character shifted from an eccentric dude who clowned any and everything to being weird for the sake of being weird. There are some salvageable tracks on it though. 3030 is one of the GOAT concept albums. Throw everything else in the bushes.

edit: his flow really falls off with each successive release following No Need, everything post 3030 is pretty much unlistenable

Thanks for the recommendations and advice. I'll check it out when I have time.

IrishNinja

Eh. It's to be expected. I mean, I could lie and just claim 36 chambers like every other white rap fan I ever met, but you got to be real with yourself.

see i like to switch it up & say my actual one, Midnight Marauders, which somehow became the only answer whiter than 36 Chambers over the years

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlines is tight so far, at least visually.

how is that? always meant to see that one

Dude fell off hard after Both Sides.

i was gonna interject & say the first Hiero shit was nice but you kinda pointed that out

Yeah imagine if Nujabes had worked with some rappers who were actually decent.

see i dig Substantial on some shit, and can even fuck with Pase Rock on a track or two...

but to answer your question? Sky is Falling (featuring CL Smooth)

Do you not see the signs?

...man, this one hit hard
i love everyone that caught the reference too

Lmao. Irish and Wandering Wind sure are white ��

CAC crew rolls deep
in the sunblock

That secret link.

jesus christ this track is nice, phew
thank you tokus

Courage

sweet this is the gambino i enjoy
best song from the EP besides that 3005 remix

edit: starts pretty damn creepy though lol
edit2: wtf am i watching

It's a Gambino music vid breh, lol. You know what to expect. A lot of weirdo artsy type of shit. I liked the ending tho.

So about this:

As an ODB fan... am I wrong for not feeling Young Dirty Bastard? My reasoning being that he tries way too much like his father but on the other hand ODB was his father so maybe it's genetic. He's also trying to battle testicular cancer by squeezing his ass cheeks which is even wackier than anything ODB ever said.
If you want ODB listen to Asap Fergs Doe-Active

GKMC>The Cool>Section80>F&L

Lupe's stuff really ages poorly due to paper thin production. How guys who grew up listening to Pete Rock and Dilla could produce rap music with limited bass and weak drums continues to puzzle me.

Anyway I'm not worried about Kendrick because I was a Lupe stan. You don't fall off due to features or one song: you fall off due to a historically bad album (Lasers), or a string of average to bad albums (I Am-Nastradamus era Nas).

I don't believe Kendrick is capable of either. Not because he's some savior, but because he has a strong production team and a good ear. Think of it like this: if Premo and Pete Rock produced the majority of I Am would it have sucked? The answer is no. Granted I know the OG version of the album was solid, but the finished project was ehhh due to Nas picking wack beats to replace the tracks that leaked. A bad beat limits your ability to make something dope. Kendrick doesn't have to worry about that.

Do I think his album will be poorly received by many fans? Yeah. I listened to GKMC yesterday, nearly every track bumps. I dot get the impression anything on this next album will bump in the whip, or turn up, etc. And naturally fans with no musical palette like Enzo won't know how to react. It'll be like preparing a dish with great spices and different textures...then watching a plebeian dump salt onto his plate after one bite. Some people are just built for failure like that. Critics will like the album, it'll go gold in a few weeks...then Drake will drop his album and all the kids will say it's better. Just watch.

Esch

Banned
So Kevin Gates fucks his cousin AND has a weird
sexual
relationship with his mom? And eats ass? I'm never downloading a tape from this weirdo again

VyNm9xg.gif

HiResDes

eh, you still listen to Burzum and pretty much every neofolk (neo nazi folk) act... I always knew the guy was fucked up in the just from how awkward his opinions were in the interviews.

Esch

Banned
eh, you still listen to Burzum and pretty much every neofolk act...
that's at least ideological and mostly (lyrically) incomprehensible tho, whatever. I can at least understand nationalism as a function of culture preservationand contextualize it. Incest tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom