• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
There is still space for La Flame in PD's heart thank god
ib0QrNulM3AlRA.png

tumblr_mza8qiterZ1rokoveo1_400.gif

I'm just saying that me and others
possibly from a neckbeard background
tend to handwave that shit if it's not really either super illuminating and/or dressed up well.
I mean, we all filter information in various ways depending on what we want to hear and how we want to hear it. Kanye, as one of the most divisive figures in American pop culture, provides a really good example of how people can react to a certain source in very divergent ways (just look at this board).

SPERG ALERT We find patterns and interpret the world around us through them. It's my opinion (and I'm not saying you're doing this), that audiences tend to see speakers through the lens of preexisting notions they've agreed upon in order to not challenge the pattern they've cooked up prior. That's how Azealia Banks can posture as a civil rights activist to her Twitter constituency and be seen as a polarizing, legitimate firebrand in the media whereas Kanye is a self-obsessed opportunist completely bereft of any self-awareness, even though they're talking about the same thing (but def not saying the same thing, let me be clear) wrt cultural appropriation. I'm not saying that filtering is wrong, if I had to guess I'd say it's pretty much impossible to prevent, but imo it's constructive to at least meet shit halfway in order to assess whether anything that's being said legit works or not and why.

edit: but yeah I get the ain't nobody got time for that mentality

Young Magus

I think focusing on the hyperbole is exactly what was wrong with the reaction.

Ye talks about people taking ownership of black culture for an entire interview, makes a hyperbolic slavery comparison and all people get out of it is that fashion isn't slavery. That's not just on Kanye, that's people not giving a fuck about the point and deciding to criticize the minutia.

We all know Kanye says some dumb shit, and even he knows he's not good at articulating what he has to say, but I don't get why Banks gets a greater audience when her position comes from a less genuine place and almost one of pure hatred and hypocrisy. Y'all critiquing the wrong shit, and this is probably exactly why a year from now someone else will make some sort of dramatic display once again in attempt for people to talk about it, but people would rather just end up criticizing his/her hair or whatever.

#Thanks Enzo

if you phrase your responses and stance like an egomaniac with a slew of mental disorders you have only yourself and your (possible?) illness to blame.

if you turn in a paper, and it has a few incredibly salient points but its muddled in a quagmire of nebulous contentions, self aggrandizement and nonsense you're going to get a C. Call it the Esch scale of life.

Banks has a large audience because nationalism sells.

The bold is why I have a problem with Banks comments (well...besides the hatred). For all the terms and racial practices she drops, its muddled in unrefined mess.

HiResDes

Yea because all music artists are also expert writers and every mistake they make goes toward invalidating any decent point they make. You guys are being ridiculous.

I just listened to the whole Ye/Zane Lowe interview again and the only things I disagree with:

- Ye saying New Slaves is a hit record if they took out the fuck corporations line
- The one brief mention of Steve Jobs. Because fuck Steve Jobs. Potentially the worst thing about modern Kanye is his worship of Steve Jobs.
- Some weird analogy about it being illegal to be naked
- "levels of genius" nonsense

can you do me a favour and tell me the timestamp for the "levels of genius" part?

effzee

Lupe x Kendrick track coming in hot.
We gonna have a video Kendrick dressing up as Jesus while Lupe is Mohammad as they spread the gospel of positive feelings and loving thyself to the world.

World peace coming soon brehs

I know I'd love that track.

Esch

Banned
Yea because all music artists are also expert writers and every mistake they make goes toward invalidating any decent point they make. You guys are being ridiculous.

i mean i don't really need kanye to know a bunch of exclusive white plutocratic structures control the creation and dissemination of culture and consumer products, so if he's not gonna drop something new he could at least keep it somewhat coherent. I mean you're enamored with kanye (for reasons beyond me) so listening to him blather on about shit you already know might be appealing to you, ymmv. i'm doubly less inclined to care if the discussion is seemingly centered a bit more on luxury products like 5 stack leather jogging pants that aren't really for the people anyway. and no matter how much you beg and berate the culture controlling bourgeoisie, they probably wont let you in anyway.

but overall who cares what musicians have to say. i go to them for aesthetic and compositional product, i don't really care what they have to say unless it's fuckery related or specifically related to the creation of music if i'm gonna be completely honest.

i mean i don't really need kanye to know a bunch of exclusive white plutocratic structures control the creation and dissemination of culture and consumer products, so if he's not gonna drop something new he could at least keep it somewhat coherent. I mean you're enamored with kanye (for reasons beyond me) so listening to him blather on about shit you already know might be appealing to you, ymmv. i'm doubly less inclined to care if the discussion is seemingly centered a bit more on luxury products like 5 stack leather jogging pants that aren't really for the people anyway. and no matter how much you beg and berate the culture controlling bourgeoisie, they probably wont let you in anyway.

but overall who cares what musicians have to say. i go to them for aesthetic and compositional product, i don't really care what they have to say unless it's fuckery related or specifically related to the creation of music if i'm gonna be completely honest.
I'm the same way. More often than not I'm burned by someone who doesn't know what they are saying or says it rather poorly and it tends to mess with my perception of their music. I know it shouldn't, but I'd rather avoid music artist's smartdumb comments. Plus, I know I don't know the minutiae of their (a musicians) life, but shit you motherfuckers can't read a book/educate yourselves once in a while?

overcast

I think focusing on the hyperbole is exactly what was wrong with the reaction.

Ye talks about people taking ownership of black culture for an entire interview, makes a hyperbolic slavery comparison and all people get out of it is that fashion isn't slavery. That's not just on Kanye, that's people not giving a fuck about the point and deciding to criticize the minutia.

We all know Kanye says some dumb shit, and even he knows he's not good at articulating what he has to say, but I don't get why Banks gets a greater audience when her position comes from a less genuine place and almost one of pure hatred and hypocrisy. Y'all critiquing the wrong shit, and this is probably exactly why a year from now someone else will make some sort of dramatic display once again in attempt for people to talk about it, but people would rather just end up criticizing his/her hair or whatever.
My whole argument came from the majority of Gaf-Hop acting like Kendrick had an interview worthy of being picked to shreds. He said one dumb line about a Nublack esque concept and you guys turn him into some Pharrell like character.

I never defended his point, I simply pointed out Dom saying Ye would have rolled his eyes at what Kendrick said was a bit ridiculous. I've disagreed with both plenty of times, and they are humans who probably feel a lot of pressure to answer these things in certain ways. I agree on that point about Banks platform.

Banks is probably more bitter that Iggy was given support by Kendrick than anything. 🌚

(I'm on my phone on break sorry if I skipped any arguments).

you know what, im glad banks is still spouting her crazy bullshit
because eventually, it will get boring and annoying (as if it isn't already) and she'll just fade into obscurity because no one will care for her schitck anymore

So Banks has went at:

Action Bronson
Lupe
Kendrick
Iggy
T.I.
Kreyshawn
Lil Kim
Her Management
Nicki Minaj (subtweet battle)
Jim Jones
Angel Haze
Baauer
Diplo
Rita Ora
Asap Rocky
Lily Allen
Gaga
Pharrell
Eminem

nVbXYTp.gif

that's probably not even all too

Tbh I don't see anything wrong with what Kendrick said about the Ferguson situation. The thing is the institutionalized racism does also play a heavy factor in to it as well and to better race relations fixing this judicial system and process and having respect for every other as human beings in the african american community can we help defeat some of the lingering effects of racism.

Vorheez

nah her music is cool.

Whatever, fair enough, lets pay attention to that then? I am just tired of seeing all of her bullshit. She is a disgusting human being and I got no patience for people who are out to simply hurt others. I think of her as a poison.

If she saw this, she would probably say I'm a racist.

Edit: Also, it drives me nuts to think there are fans of hers who support her behaviour and are motivated to act the same way as a result. Like I said, she is a poison. Say what you want of Iggy, at least she isn't a vile human being who just likes to shit on everything (in before someone says she shits on music).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom