• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you should check out Pain and Glory.
Ransom's album right? Last track I heard of his was a dope one with Raekwon. I'll admit I kind of dismiss a lot of rappers from that mid aughts era today. Termanology released a solid album full of bangers last year but I never really marinated in it - whereas in 2007 it would have been on my list.

thabiz

Ransom's album right? Last track I heard of his was a dope one with Raekwon. I'll admit I kind of dismiss a lot of rappers from that mid aughts era today. Termanology released a solid album full of bangers last year but I never really marinated in it - whereas in 2007 it would have been on my list.

did you check Terms new one?

codhand

new Willie The Kid Tuesday?
gladbron.png

I'm glad that RTJ is seeing success and getting mainstream acclaim. The second album is pretty damn strong melodically without sounding poppy, which plays a big part in its success beyond underground heads.

But I kind of wonder if things are getting too big. They bucked the sequel curse but can they buck the even bigger hurdle of making a good third iteration? Or will it be a big, bloated mess ala Goodfather III. I'd imagine they're getting tons of feedback from artists who want guest spots, collab ideas, festival invites, etc.

Which is why I wish they'd do solo albums next, starting with a bombastic Killer Mike record. Give me the alternate universe sequel to Cube's Death Certificate I know you're capable of making. And after the dust settles (and another El-p record) return for RTJ III in 2016 or even 2017.

codhand

I'm glad that RTJ is seeing success and getting mainstream acclaim. The second album is pretty damn strong melodically without sounding poppy, which plays a big part in its success beyond underground heads.

But I kind of wonder if things are getting too big. They bucked the sequel curse but can they buck the even bigger hurdle of making a good third iteration? Or will it be a big, bloated mess ala Goodfather III. I'd imagine they're getting tons of feedback from artists who want guest spots, collab ideas, festival invites, etc.

Which is why I wish they'd do solo albums next, starting with a bombastic Killer Mike record. Give me the alternate universe sequel to Cube's Death Certificate I know you're capable of making. And after the dust settles (and another El-p record) return for RTJ III in 2016 or even 2017.

i agree but at the same time, el p seems in a zone with RTJ and has mentioned how inspiring it has been for him personally and musically, i can understand wanting to strike with more RTJ while the iron is hot..

he's still getting over working with Vast Waste-of-time Aire, Killer Mike obviously has much better work ethic. for creatives, sometimes all you want is someone as dedicated as you are to making dope shit, and el's found that in Mike,

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Both of those guys have been waiting for their mainstream break for a long time, so best believe they're going to pump until the well is dry. How much skill they have will dictate how many good albums that sprint will give us.

codhand

i remember when the Co Flow video for End To End Burner was first aired on MTV and thinking that would be the breakout smash they needed,

It's average AF, like everything else he's done so far. His flow is still annoying.

i just meant there's a difference between average and bad
I'm only a third into it though.
However, Big Dusty is really good.
And I don't see how his flow is annoying lol but to each his own I suppose

edit: not really biased btw i don't care if it's good or not haha
i enjoyed 1999 and thought Summer Knights had standouts but was overall a step down for him

Courage

And I don't see how his flow is annoying lol but to each his own I suppose

I guess his Jamaican cadence is what I meant; there's something on how he enunciates that annoys me. His whole throwback style doesn't offer anything interesting to me, I don't even know why I listened to it to be honest with you.

Both of those guys have been waiting for their mainstream break for a long time, so best believe they're going to pump until the well is dry. How much skill they have will dictate how many good albums that sprint will give us.
That's an interesting view. Normally I'd disagree and point to a variety of rappers that fell off despite remaining top tier rappers thanks to bad production. But here you have a dope MC who has been quite consistent for a decade, and a dope producer who continues to push the envelope. This doesn't happen often.

If Nas or Hov did albums with Premo in 1996-1999 we'd get something dope. But if they did an album today the rapping would certainly be dope but the production would be middling at best. Most sample based producers fall off and don't really adapt to this new era of higher clearance fees and restrictions. El doesn't have that problem, and neither does Alchemist or Just Blaze. I'm convinced they can pop out dope shit for another 5-10 years, easily. Just based on how their sounds never stayed stagnant, their openness to new things, etc.

Imagine if Just Blaze produced an entire Hov album today, or a Nas and Alchemist album. They could pop out quite a bit of dope shit for a long time. But those types of music marriages never seemed to happen until now with RTJ.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That's an interesting view. Normally I'd disagree and point to a variety of rappers that fell off despite remaining top tier rappers thanks to bad production. But here you have a dope MC who has been quite consistent for a decade, and a dope producer who continues to push the envelope. This doesn't happen often.

If Nas or Hov did albums with Premo in 1996-1999 we'd get something dope. But if they did an album today the rapping would certainly be dope but the production would be middling at best. Most sample based producers fall off and don't really adapt to this new era of higher clearance fees and restrictions. El doesn't have that problem, and neither does Alchemist or Just Blaze. I'm convinced they can pop out dope shit for another 5-10 years, easily. Just based on how their sounds never stayed stagnant, their openness to new things, etc.

Imagine if Just Blaze produced an entire Hov album today, or a Nas and Alchemist album. They could pop out quite a bit of dope shit for a long time. But those types of music marriages never seemed to happen until now with RTJ.

Both rappers and producers forgot the lessons their forefathers taught them. When a duo works, you stick with it. Some rappers and some producers just belong together. Eventually, all sounds get dated and every rapper is going to fall off. It is what it is. But yeah, if they stick together and don't let egos, fans, or label pressures fuck up what they got, they could do it for a while. They really just got actually famous, so now we have to see how they deal with that.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This Joey Badass album is like a middling 90's album released in 2015.

Booty.

Going back to that Future banger.

When you think about it you can trace the longevity of 90s/00s producers based on their reaction to the soul loop revival. Most of the producers who are still dope or relevant today evolved their sound beyond soul loops: Kanye, Just Blaze, Alchemist, Black Milk, etc. Whereas many if not most of the producers who fell off or became middling never expanded their sound: 9th Wonder, Premo, RZA, Heatmakerz, etc.

You could probably do a similar trace of 80s producers based on how effective they were at moving past James Brown samples in the 90s. I love The Bombsquad but yeah...

IrishNinja

^that's a pretty good post, we could do a whole thing on classic producers & who got stuck, who followed trends, who moved out of their comfort zone into another era etc

this is so awesome, as a comics/RTJ fan. so happy these dudes are seeing the love they should.

ehh i can see them maybe fucking with some more people but their choices here (rocha, boo etc) were spot on; if anything i'm excited to see them mash up with more artists they've wanted to work with for a minute

really dont see a quick young thug/etc collabo/cash-grab happening here

and i will forever rebut the claim/insinuation that Lethal Injection was somehow a disappointing album/follow-up, because it's a goddamn classic

Both rappers and producers forgot the lessons their forefathers taught them. When a duo works, you stick with it. Some rappers and some producers just belong together. Eventually, all sounds get dated and every rapper is going to fall off. It is what it is. But yeah, if they stick together and don't let egos, fans, or label pressures fuck up what they got, they could do it for a while. They really just got actually famous, so now we have to see how they deal with that.

see on one hand, PD is pointing out how P is one of the producers who's pushed boundaries & not gotten stuck in a sound, but this post kinda hearkens more back to eric b/rakim, pete rock/CL, guru/preemo etc, who all put out undeniable classics but did very much fall into a certain sound.

i guess that's another part of what has me so hyped here: if P wants to go in another direction for 3 (or their next solo joints), cool - ive yet to hear their efforts in recent years not deliver. if he wants to further explore the sounds we heard on 2? i'm very much happy with that too.

The new Badass is pretty dope... why the hate?

He was born in 1995 which means he was four when the nineties ended. He's making music that tries to sound like 1995 in 2015. His music is catered to kids his age who have no frame of reference of 90s rap because why the hell would someone listen to Joey Badass when there's people who did the exact same thing he's doing but infinitely better.

What's everybody's favorite DJ Drama drop? I was listening to Gucci Mane's "The Movie" from 2009 (which also features Mike Will production) and he just screamed after a song:

"I USED TO BE SAM JACKSON WITH TOO MANY SNAKES ON THE PLANE. NOW IM JACK NICHOLSON CUZ IM SHINING ON YOU N****S"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom