• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Yea I don't blame mike and P for leaning so hard into RTJ, with people finally lining up for what you make you have to capitalize. I do hope 3 is a leap in a slightly different direction though.
W8, theres a documentary on them? Alright I need to find out about this. I also need to listen to Milo more. Big Busdriver fan for a while now and his Hellfyre stuff is well, fyre. Too many people sleeping on Perfect Hair, but I'll concede it's an acquired tasted. A dope taste though, acquire those tastes buds brehs.
They made a tour doc during their run of US shows last year, screened in LA last night. Think mike said it might not go online-- maybe music rights reasons, a couple non hellfyre songs play at points. Edit: it's called Chewing

Trey

I'm glad that RTJ is seeing success and getting mainstream acclaim. The second album is pretty damn strong melodically without sounding poppy, which plays a big part in its success beyond underground heads.

But I kind of wonder if things are getting too big. They bucked the sequel curse but can they buck the even bigger hurdle of making a good third iteration? Or will it be a big, bloated mess ala Goodfather III. I'd imagine they're getting tons of feedback from artists who want guest spots, collab ideas, festival invites, etc.

Which is why I wish they'd do solo albums next, starting with a bombastic Killer Mike record. Give me the alternate universe sequel to Cube's Death Certificate I know you're capable of making. And after the dust settles (and another El-p record) return for RTJ III in 2016 or even 2017.

I, too, am tired of El-P's verses.

PlayDat

Oh My Darling Don't Cry, Lie, Cheat Steal, and Sea Legs all would have been worse songs without it his verses. I don't get the hate at all. His bars are often way more creative and humorous than Mike's.

Esch

Banned

i'm tired of seeing this post.

he's funny, his voice contrasts well with Mike and he rips up some of those tracks.

And when I ask why people don't like him, they can never provide a coherent answer.

thabiz

EL P

160x160x241-goat.png.pagespeed.ic.8GLwe_Rcfv.jpg

I dunno brehs, I'm feeling that Joey more than the standard pretentious album art link that gets posted in here
XIdknh9.png

It's not breaking any new ground but I never expected it to.

lets make out

Not with a thot like you
vObHa5f.png

Oh My Darling Don't Cry, Lie, Cheat Steal, and Sea Legs all would have been worse songs without it his verses. I don't get the hate at all. His bars are often way more creative and humorous than Mike's.

he's funny, his voice contrasts well with Mike and he rips up some of those tracks.

And when I ask why people don't like him, they can never provide a coherent answer.

RTJ wouldn't work without El and he definitely still does his thing on the mic for the most part.

That said, I still think he was better before the fall of Def Jux and we should definitely be getting R.A.P Music 2 before RTJ 3, but the public has spoken.

Their output has been phenomenal over the past couple of years. I'm just scared of the disappointment that tends to come with good things. Hold me brehs.

HiResDes

People act like Rap Music OG was a damn classic when honestly it's even less replayable than the first RTJ. I still enjoyed Cancer 4 Cure more tbh.

studyguy

Up on stage those two just feed energy off of each other and it's just good vibes all around blasted out directly to the crowd. At this point I wouldn't mind a solo project from each tbh, but it's not like I'd be opposed to more RTJ.

Courage

Up on stage those two just feed energy off of each other and it's just good vibes all around blasted out directly to the crowd. At this point I wouldn't mind a solo project from each tbh, but it's not like I'd be opposed to more RTJ.

They already announced RTJ3 is gonna come first and then RAP Music 2.

People act like Rap Music OG was a damn classic when honestly it's even less replayable than the first RTJ. I still enjoyed Cancer 4 Cure more tbh.

Really?

I'd take almost any single RAP Music track over either of RTJs anytime. I've been bumping it consistently for two years.

Fucking Southern Fried man...

What an album.

Esch

Banned
Nobody posted Funk Flex going in on Jay and his website? The amount of bombs is astounding.

40 year old men beefing about apps and websites. It really is 2015

Its really stupid tbh, like is Flex an idiot? He thinks Jay micromanages the content that goes through Life + Times in any way lol? I doubt it.

Also its pointless since we all know that Hov owns Flex and he'll spin around and roll over on his back when it comes down to the wire.

NYC radio is corny and obsolete.

IrishNinja

fuckin' thank you
like i can almost see an argumen nt for RTJ1, but this project?: they compliment each other's styles/follow through with tag-team bars on a level i wish more duos did

I dunno brehs, I'm feeling that Joey more than the standard pretentious album art link that gets posted in here
XIdknh9.png

It's not breaking any new ground but I never expected it to.

i mean like what you like but these are not like products nahmean

That said, I still think he was better before the fall of Def Jux and we should definitely be getting R.A.P Music 2 before RTJ 3, but the public has spoken.

im admittedly LTTP on the def jux shit, what are his highlights there?

Esch

Banned

lol all you want, RAP music has better fleshed out song concepts, variety in tone and pace. RTJ is just a punch you in the face with my punchlines rap album. It's pretty much a Slaughterhouse album with a little more swag and better sonic packaging.

Flex is a delusional old man, I try not to pay attention to what he says.

Its really stupid tbh, like is Flex an idiot? He thinks Jay micromanages the content that goes through Life + Times in any way lol? I doubt it.

Also its pointless since we all know that Hov owns Flex and he'll spin around and roll over on his back when it comes down to the wire.

NYC radio is corny and obsolete.

Yeah flex is fucking ridiculous but Im all in for people going in on Jay. He can rap his ass off still sure but all of his contemporary shit (Blueprint 3 and on) is so damn uninspired except for a couple flashes in a pan. It can definitely be argued that Jay's goal first and foremost was to hustle his music but now it's clear he's just doing it for the money. Well at least he sampled a San Diego artist for Nickels and Dimes. Peep his music too by the way, its great. It's always awesome seeing people from my city blow up. All that has really came from SD is Eyedea, Gaslamp Killer, Mitchy Slick, and Gonjasufi

Courage

Yeah flex is fucking ridiculous but Im all in for people going in on Jay. He can rap his ass off still sure but all of his contemporary shit (Blueprint 3 and on) is so damn uninspired except for a couple flashes in a pan. It can definitely be argued that Jay's goal first and foremost was to hustle his music but now it's clear he's just doing it for the money. Well at least he sampled a San Diego artist for Nickels and Dimes. Peep his music too by the way, its great. It's always awesome seeing people from my city blow up. All that has really came from SD is Eyedea, Gaslamp Killer, Mitchy Slick, and Gonjasufi

What he says doesn't even hold weight tho; it's not even an indirect insult to his music. It sounds like him being butthurt that someone else capitalized on an idea better than him.

IrishNinja

...for real? C4C i can see when you're in that zone, but RTJ 1 even? southern fried, ghetto gospel, reagan...might've just been me but there were genuine moments where i caught 90s Cube vibes , still bump it on the regular

RTJ2 was the first full album I listened to from them and the chemistry was instantly recognizable. Not sure how it was before but RTJ2 definitely showcases they work well together.

im admittedly LTTP on the def jux shit, what are his highlights there?

His albums Fantastic Damage and I'll Sleep When You're Dead and his production on Cannibal Ox's Cold Vein.

And absolutely check out Company Flow's Funcrusher Plus if you haven't already. Their instrumental album Little Johnny From the Hospital is great too.

*Everytime I try to listen, I just can't get into C4C for some reason.

I wish
cux1x3P.png

but you are mad though. it's not healthy.

Mad about what g? Im discussing rap music in a thread about rap music. I gave my opinion. You're the one trying to assert yourself to make yourself look better than me? And I'm mad? We can't all be wavy I guess

Max-B-3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom