• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pronk420

so I bought the A$AP rocky album (long live a$ap) on impulse because it was super cheap after reading about yams for the first time on GAF yesterday :( anyway I think its awesome even though there is a skrillex song and two chains is on it.

are there any other A$AP albums I should get? I like LVL, Hell and 1Train a lot, some of them are sort of like 90s meets cloud rap or something

Courage

so I bought the A$AP rocky album (long live a$ap) on impulse because it was super cheap after reading about yams for the first time on GAF yesterday :( anyway I think its awesome even though there is a skrillex song and two chains is on it.

are there any other A$AP albums I should get? I like LVL, Hell and 1Train a lot, some of them are sort of like 90s meets cloud rap or something

Download LiveLoveA$AP. It's better than LongLive

If you guys want a legitimately great throwback record, listen to Statik Selektah's album from last year.

actually if you want the best of both of those world listen to Bird's Eye View ft. Joey (and Raekwon and Black Thought) from the album right before the one you mentioned.

Courage

SS isnt bad at all but I feel it's too much "been there, done that" with him

Probably my fault for listening to a bunch of his albums at once at one point

I mean, you could use that argument with any nostalgic album like that one, including Joey's. I'd say it's a more faithful to some of those sounds (based on my limited knowledge; I ain't no dusthead) plus it features much better rappers than Joey.

Coreda

Probably a good place to ask. Been listening to De La Soul's Buhloone Mindstate again and enjoying it. Doesn't take itself too seriously while also having a relaxed and at times jazzy vibe. Any similar records to recommend? Something along the more calm lines of ATCQ's Low End Theory and Beastie Boys' Ill Communication.

codhand

Probably a good place to ask. Been listening to De La Soul's Buhloone Mindstate again and enjoying it. Doesn't take itself too seriously while also having a relaxed and at times jazzy vibe. Any similar records to recommend? Something along the more calm lines of ATCQ's Low End Theory and Beastie Boys' Ill Communication.

all the de la soul albums

Media Takeout is never right about anything. I can't see Jay wasting money on a radio station. It would be interesting if private investors did buy a station though, simply to see how they'd manage it. Would it continue to be a slave to Nielsen or would they give the station space to play other shit. Why major rap stations don't play classic rap continues to baffle me, especially with the recent emergence of classic rap stations.

I listened to a lot of radio stuff last summer and it was amazing how repetitive if was. The playlist felt like it was 20 songs, half of which were produced by Mustard. Songs like Loyal were being played once every hour like clockwork. The "throwback joint of the day" was often a song like Niggas In Paris or TI's Whatever You Want. In short the station is trash.

It's a poor business model, especially in an era where everyone has easy access to songs on their phone. If your ringtone is Loyal and you're on of the millions of people who bought the single on iTunes, do you really want to hear the song once an hour on the radio all summer?

Yo Gotti's mixtape dropped
Only listened to the Kevin Gates track and it's pretty good
Like really good
Not what you'd expect from that trio either (Gates, Gotti, and Metro Boomin)

Linius

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rythm
Black Sheep - Non-Fiction
Black Sheep - A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate
De La Soul - Stakes Is High
Digable Planets - Reachin (A New Refutation Of Time and Space)
Gang Starr - Moment of Truth
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Black Star
Organized Konfusion - Stress: The Extinction Agenda
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde
The Pharcyde - Labcabincalifornia
Reflection Eternal - Train of Thought
The Roots - Undun
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Souls of Mischief - 93' Till Infinity

There's probably something in here for ya.

Also Doppelgangaz, something I should have included in that post above.

Media Takeout is never right about anything. I can't see Jay wasting money on a radio station. It would be interesting if private investors did buy a station though, simply to see how they'd manage it. Would it continue to be a slave to Nielsen or would they give the station space to play other shit. Why major rap stations don't play classic rap continues to baffle me, especially with the recent emergence of classic rap stations.

I listened to a lot of radio stuff last summer and it was amazing how repetitive if was. The playlist felt like it was 20 songs, half of which were produced by Mustard. Songs like Loyal were being played once every hour like clockwork. The "throwback joint of the day" was often a song like Niggas In Paris or TI's Whatever You Want. In short the station is trash.

It's a poor business model, especially in an era where everyone has easy access to songs on their phone. If your ringtone is Loyal and you're on of the millions of people who bought the single on iTunes, do you really want to hear the song once an hour on the radio all summer?

I agree with this post however my response to the last sentence is I feel as if people would just switch the station. When you're surfing stations you're not trying to hear something new, you're looking for something familiar.

I've barely listened to the radio in the past 5 years except for this past summer at work travelling between job sites and even then it was always "switch the station until we recognize something".

To me the draw just isn't there, just need an AUX cable and you can listen to whatever you want nahmean

Coreda

Buhloone Mindstate and parts of De La Soul Is Dead are the only two I've really liked tbh. Was looking for others with a similar jazzy/calm flavor.

There's probably something in here for ya.

Cheers, will take a look at those I've missed. I actually remember ordering the 93' Till Infinity vinyl single from Discogs years ago but never received it :mad: Haven't had much luck with that site.

Cheddahz

Banned

I'm going to cosign this (if you don't want to check out all of the De La Soul albums, be sure to check out "3 Feet High and Rising", "De La Soul Is Dead", and "Stakes Is High")

The Tribe albums are also highly recommended and since you mentioned the Beastie Boys, I'll just recommend Check Your Head and Ill Communication, since those are probably their most laid back albums (and they have a few jazz/instrumental tracks on them as well)

Esch

Banned
Statik's problem was never that he makes boom bap or "throwback" music tho. It's that his shit has a very low ceiling. Generally he makes a decent partner for when you're on the come up and want to make a cohesive good sounding boom bap album but overall his highs aren't very high. Even the people that like him can't name 5 of his beats off top that are their faves, in my experience. I like him, but I've never had one of his beats stuck in my head for a day. Even a wasteman like Puff Daddy's been able to accomplish that for me.

Dude just doesn't stand out like that.

Edit: damn pd still whining about radio. Let it go breh, it's not for you.

Big hip hop radio stations don't play classic hip hop because they want to remain big hip hop stations.

Courage

Statik's problem was never that he makes boom bap or "throwback" music tho. It's that his shit has a very low ceiling. Generally he makes a decent partner for when you're on the come up and want to make a cohesive good sounding boom bap album but overall his highs aren't very high. Even the people that like him can't name 5 of his beats off top that are their faves, in my experience. I like him, but I've never had one of his beats stuck in my head for a day. Even a wasteman like Puff Daddy's been able to accomplish that for me.

Idk breh, he steps up his melodic game in What Goes Around. The Imperial, All The Way, Carry On, Alarm Clock are all catchy and flip great samples. What you're saying is still valid though, just worth noting he's been improving.

Statik Selektah just isn't that good man. I'm always amazed to see people reaching out praise for him. None of it is memorable and I say this as someone whose favorite album from Action Bronson is produced by him, so it's not like I just have a distaste for the guy

Yo Gotti's mixtape dropped
Only listened to the Kevin Gates track and it's pretty good
Like really good
Not what you'd expect from that trio either (Gates, Gotti, and Metro Boomin)
Learn how to link breh, you always do this. Don't let me catch you doing this again

Click link to go to it

yall don't have a classic hip-hop station there? Man there's about 3 hiphop stations here and one is classic(played masta ace the other day), one actually does throwback within 90s sometimes older.

Agree with Esch about Statik. He's good at what he does but overall he tends to have a lot of middling material. I rarely hear a bad Statik beat but plenty are just ehh. He makes a lot of boom bap that doesn't really "boom."

People really slept on his album with Gibbs but I thought that shit was dope. Many great beats on there.

In terms of his albums I still think 100 Proof is the best. Haven't listened to the new one though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Statik is that midtier producer. He's the guy people buy beats from on the come up, then promptly forget when the label is defraying the bill for better guys. Sort of like catching a Dilated People's guest verse used to be. Or nowadays getting an Anthony Hamilton hook. Shit, have those guys all been on a record together?

Pretty accurate

Agree with Esch about Statik. He's good at what he does but overall he tends to have a lot of middling material. I rarely hear a bad Statik beat but plenty are just ehh. He makes a lot of boom bap that doesn't really "boom."

People really slept on his album with Gibbs but I thought that shit was dope. Many great beats on there.

In terms of his albums I still think 100 Proof is the best. Haven't listened to the new one though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LkpurooTYA you'll dig this

Esch

Banned
Ahshshshhdhshshdhd

Ahhhhhshshshdhsh

It's coming

Shdjfjdjdjdjj

Soooooon

iyndHWBpxEH0K.gif

HiResDes

Ferg's Trap Lord.

Oh and good looks Tguy gonna gonna cop that Tut when I get home. Dude looks like a broke ass Chance the Rapper though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom