• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ibcBkFAtN7fk62.gif

IrishNinja

i mean, rapegenius was basically make so casuals/non REAL hip-hop heads could appreciate the depths of immortal technique lupe's lyricism

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fall would make basically a 10/10 EP. Not an ounce of fat there.

EDIT: Schoolboy Q needs to get a royalty check from this Billy Blue idiot from Chopper. Not sure why Lupe is trying to get his Ace Hood on with this track. It's good, but why put on 3 different rappers nobody cares about and who aren't crew? Way too long. Nobody asked for a 9 minute long fake trap song.

IrishNinja

speaking of basic shit, i YT'd the final bits of Sons of Anarchy...hahaha man am i glad i dropped that show, not quite as bad as Dexter but still shit tier. that's what i get for hoping he could close some shit out half as well as The Shield

can't lie, I'll prolly rubberneck parts of Justified's final season though

mooooose

My friend met Makonnen tonight and he was super dismissive. I didn't even bother going over to say hi, he was surrounded by his crew from the moment he walked in and came right before his set and left right after. Lame

WanderingWind

Deliver and Madonna are pretty decent. Madonna third verse definitely caught my attention. Really dug that part.

EDIT: Irish already said everything needed to be said about Magi. Thought he was talking about Mural with that basic shit. I mean, the allegory is cute but it doesn't make any sense. It's a neat series of references that make you feel smart for getting it, but it's unrelated to anything. Once again though, the third verse is pretty damn good. Okay song, definitely some stuff to chew on, but the surface stuff is pretty tame.

And Ab Soul ruins what could have been a pretty damn good song with TRON. Why on gods green earth do you end your album with that shitty fucking verse?

Interesting to see the lukewarm reactions to the Lupe album in here versus the more enthusiastic impressions in the main forum. I havnt heard the album yet, but Im going into it with a cynical attitude about Lupe the rapper. Was burned by Food and Liquor 2.

WanderingWind

On the Esch scale, it's about a 6/12. I would rate it about a C+ album and if Blur, Chopper and Dots and Ab Soul not been on the album, I think it would be much stronger. It feels like an album that will grow on me, but I definitely scratching my head with some of the decisions he made. He's got the talent, he's got the heart, but he's still following a formula with nearly every song. If you like the formula, you'll like the album, but I guess I expected some expansion from rap rap rap soul hook rap rap rap soul hook rap rap thing. Only Chopper and Mural deviate from that formula and they're both overly long songs that follow their own formula.

If you're not one of the people who just hate Lupe for being Lupe, you'll probably like the album well enough. If you're a Lupe stan, you'll love the album and will likely herald it at AOTY already.

Courage

My friend met Makonnen tonight and he was super dismissive. I didn't even bother going over to say hi, he was surrounded by his crew from the moment he walked in and came right before his set and left right after. Lame

Look at what happened last time he tried interacting with a fan.
tLQ8B.png

codhand

i've had good luck with meeting rappers in person, most were actually super nice, and friendly

it's shorter to name the ones who were dicks

cormega, nas, del, madlib, immortal technique, tricky; granted these were mostly one-off situations, so nothing to judge a person by, just my experience

We "Public Enemy #1," our "Uzi Weighs a Ton"
This is our house, Run!

and

If you riff on your EP, you gonna need an MD
So you gots to chill cause I kill at will
Like solid water dude; y'all niggas don't get it
"Kill at Will," solid water? Ice Cube

These lines are from the What's in a Name track.
Jay brought these lines back in his couple of verses on the Missy Back in the Day track.
Finding out now that these lines are pre-Reasonable Doubt is crazy!

First Impressions - Joey Bada$$' B4.DA.$$

More and more I find that if a project doesn't surprise me or have some exceptional standouts, I pretty much never go back to it. This album pretty much has neither, but it's solid. Joey doing what he does best and not making excuses for it. I can't lie, it taps into the feel of old school boom bap for me, and it does hook me in. I feel it. I'm knocking my head to this. Part of me feels wrong for doing so, but the more I listen, it's kind of an irrational feeling. The songs are just good, and Joey is transparent about his influences and him still learning as a super young MC that some of the cognitive dissonance is kind of removed.

Some of the references, sound effects and melodies are really explicit in what they're trying to evoke, to the point where I can see this really annoying Nas, Wu, etc. fans, and I can totally understand that. Despite this, he's really flowing on a lot of these joints, and I'm a sucker for when an MC sounds really comfortable on the mic and that comes across for me. Just a lot of good songs, nothing too crazy, but there aren't many tracks on here I'd outright call bad either, and if they are, they're the bonus tracks. Standouts are probably Paper Trail$, Big Dusty and Hazeus View.

this is a great write-up. really agree with the bolded part. reminds me of Logic's Under Pressure doing a similar thing.
On and On is a standout too.
Is the 90s throwback sub-genre getting played out the past couple of years? Maybe. But if you like it, then there's no reason you wouldn't have Joey's output near the top of your list.

Macca you post once in a blue moon and it's always gold...even now when you didn't actually say anything and just catch someone slippin haha

j-wood

Hate all you guys in here want, but I'm really enjoying the new Lupe album. Maybe not as good as his first two, but so much better than lasers and F&L2. Sick beats, thoughtful lyrics.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
People actually want Half-Life 3 though
Well, they want it if everything was handled right and not dragged through the mud to be made or they slapped the HL3 name on some mediocre project, which is a legitimate fear considering the brand. And while relatively consistent otherwise, Valve has had some duds recently that makes people question whether people should still care what they're working on.

So yeah, CuDi is Valve.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Well, they want it if everything was handled right and not dragged through the mud to be made or they slapped the HL3 name on some mediocre project, which is a legitimate fear considering the brand. And while relatively consistent otherwise, Valve has had some duds recently that makes people question whether people should still care what they're working on.

So yeah, CuDi is Valve.

wait, what were the duds?

portal 2? DOTA? ep2?

those were all great games... even if I'm not a huge fan of DOTA2 i can see the appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom