• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're speaking on Lese Majesty, will do later today. Just say I wasn't blown away by that or #Cake.

Maybe on Cudi, but opinions tend to work like that.

Going to be straight with you, I doubt you'll enjoy it. Lese Majesty is an extremely understated and patient record with a lot of nuance that is meant to be consumed and digested as a whole as opposed to song-by-song. It's not going to be half as inviting or anywhere near as direct as anything Cudi has dropped.

tbh I'm struggling to think of ANY comparison between Shabazz and Cudi stylistically, lyrically, ideologically...anywhere. I can't think of a single thing that could have reminded you of him. Cudi is one of the most direct and overt dudes I've ever listened to. It's like a weed-brick sledgehammer to the face. They're literally like polar opposites. In that song and every other. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is a big Cudi fan without knowing that they were super into some other stuff in that lane.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Valve provided us with multiple classics and created the buoy that put PC gaming in the place it is now. Probably still be eating microshit leftovers without them.tybv.

Kid Cudi made one album for 14 year olds that hate their parents, did a bunch of blow and never released anything of import ever again. He can't rap. He can't really sing. The music he puts together is consistently wack.

3Vw7HQR.png
#factsonly

IrishNinja

L4D 1 & 2 are fantastic, FOH

These lines are from the What's in a Name track.
Jay brought these lines back in his couple of verses on the Missy Back in the Day track.
Finding out now that these lines are pre-Reasonable Doubt is crazy!

yeah, i love that track, feels like a b-side...fitting that it was an older verse (and not at all uncommon for that kinda thing), but yeah, finding out it was that old is crazy

Macca you post once in a blue moon

wish it was less often tbh

Hate all you guys in here want

cool, will do

Loving either one is an L. HL2 isn't that good

why you wanna be that guy though
like i get saying it's overrated, but it's still really good

Might as well call it Softshoing for Dollars.

can't lie, with the right cover i'd cop

Kid Cudi made one album for 14 year olds that hate their parents, did a bunch of blow and never released anything of import ever again. He can't rap. He can't really sing. The music he puts together is consistently wack.

full

Has to be a way to play up on the appropriation controversy.

honestly if he was owning that (moreso than usual) id kinda dig it, if even just for the banks meltdowns

No El-P, Vast past his prime, Vordul still being whatever...it's not looking good.

damn. i admit i didn't learn of cannibal ox till i wanna say one of the OG gaf-hop threads, but by all accounts, it's not happening again. this sounds terrible

BlackJace

Tetsuo & Youth is fine. There's some weird pacing issues, but I feel like it's a nice album to put on and learn more about the tracks with each play.

It's like a video game with high replay value in that sense. I feel like I will be listening to Mural and Chopper on and off throughout the year, and will most definitely be gaining new insight each time. Magi, Dots, Deliver, Blur My Hands, etc, are well-produced, mellow songs. The sprinkling of the seasonal pieces help to make the album feel like a long-term, epic thing (maybe that's why shit is so long?).

It's definitely his best since The Cool, and I feel like a long time fan shouldn't have a real bone to pick with it unless you're still bitter about Lasers and F&L2 and can't over them (hell, F&L2 wasn't even outright bad like Lasers, just forgettable).

Bring on Skulls or whatever the fuck he has coming next.

injurai

Banned
cudi touched the minds of the first time stoners
he then left that culture, and lost the producer that understood how to enable what he had going for him.
People don't care what interests him, the care about what he first made himself out to be.

Linius

The Haxan Cloak is on that album, now that's some exciting stuff. Gonna listen to it later this week, almost time to go to bed. In the middle of my exam week
D5Jy4CR.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
part 2 of the noisey atlanta series is wild. migos and crew just fucking chillin with ARs. shit is no joke. need that young thug ep tho.
Part of me feels like they play it up for the camera though. I remember hearing that back in the Smack DVD days artist management used to schedule their interviews or whatever around when they could get loaner guns and shit to flex on the camera with. I don't put it past them that they're bout that life though.

This is super random but holy fuck it bugs me when Cole says:

"But then I thought back, back to a better me
Before I was a B-list celebrity"

on No Role Modelz
ruins an otherwise solid song

like who the hell says that
who calls themselves B-list
J. Cole constantly reminding us he's weak as fuck
whatever happened to Who Dat man
goddamnit

This is super random but holy fuck it bugs me when Cole says:

"But then I thought back, back to a better me
Before I was a B-list celebrity"

on No Role Modelz
ruins an otherwise solid song

like who the hell says that
who calls themselves B-list
J. Cole constantly reminding us he's weak as fuck
whatever happened to Who Dat man
goddamnit

get mad when Cole makes factual statements. I thought thats what Cole fans liked about him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom