• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
wait what about doom?

He met his doom
fire-2.gif
fire-2.gif
fire-2.gif

CRS

Madlib hasn't really staggered though. There's just a bunch of time between his better releases/gems (Madvillainy, In Search of Stoney Jackson, Piñata) while he puts out mediocre to average material in between.

wait what about doom?

DOOM doesn't have drug problems. His "fall" is moreso due to changes in the legality of samples and being lazy. Dude is sitting on tons of likely dope music that he seemingly has no interest in releasing, in part due to sample issues. Born Like This isn't a bad album, it's just hurt by the inability to shamelessly sample cartoons and some bad beats. That Madlib beat on there (Absolutely) is fire tho...whew.

Lyrically that JJ DOOM album is cool, I just don't like the production. It doesn't really fit his style overall.

That 3 year period of brilliance though
eMSoVaH.png

If Doomstarks really comes out this year (highly doubt it), I don't think it'll be the album we were waiting on in 2006.

Lyrically that JJ DOOM album is cool, I just don't like the production. It doesn't really fit his style overall.

I think that album is a textbook example of the rapper and producer never being in the studio at the same time.

On Madlib...dude was baked out his mind for awhile. I'll never forget how excited I was in 2010 when that "year of Madlib/Madlib Medicine Show" thing happened. 13 planned albums, seemed like the greatest idea ever. I liked the various international music mixtapes, especially the Brazil one, but the actual Madlib albums were very mixed. I liked the jazz album. The Africa beats album was especially disappointing to me at the time; maybe I'd have a different opinion today but back then ehhh.

I just don't think he has really matched the brilliance of Beat Konducta Vol 5-6: Dil Cosby & Dil Withers Suite. And while most of the Madlid Medicine Show stuff was disappointing, at least that year gave us In Search of Stony Jackson. Honestly those two albums were really the last time I was truly blown away by Madlib until this year with Pinata.

Don't remind me of the OJ Simpson album.

Linius

Read trough the last couple of pages. To be fair, I guess calling people a fuckboy (had to look it up) can be off putting if you want to be open to other Gaffers posting here. But on the other hand, no one should take the internet too seriously. The guy calling me that doesn't know me so there can't be much meaning behind it. And if there was, that's his problem innit. Coming from Footy Gaf the intervention talk about being more open for newcomers was all too familiar
BwNL0oP.png

Also smacktalk and hiphop go kind of hand in hand I'd say. Y'all be a bunch of fuckboys if there wasn't any.

Crud

Banned
Read trough the last couple of pages. To be fair, I guess calling people a fuckboy (had to look it up) can be off putting if you want to be open to other Gaffers posting here. But on the other hand, no one should take the internet too seriously. The guy calling me that doesn't know me so there can't be much meaning behind it. And if there was, that's his problem innit. Coming from Footy Gaf the intervention talk about being more open for newcomers was all too familiar
BwNL0oP.png

Also smacktalk and hiphop go kind of hand in hand I'd say. Y'all be a bunch of fuckboys if there wasn't any.

What the fuck are you talking about?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Let me translate for our soccer loving newcomer. Just imagine they're just calling you a cunt. It's said in the same spirit. AKA not real serious.

I mean, I think. Some people have come ITT and tried to act real street, but you know. We share space with furries and people who defend anime body pillows. It's NeoGAF, not South Central LA circa 93.

Linius

Let me translate for our soccer loving newcomer. Just imagine they're just calling you a cunt. It's said in the same spirit. AKA not real serious.

I mean, I think. Some people have come ITT and tried to act real street, but you know. We share space with furries and people who defend anime body pillows. It's NeoGAF, not South Central LA circa 93.

Yeah, I figured as much. That's why I didn't bother that post. And this is a community, so 'rules' are a bit of a free flow anyways. You can say things in here that would get you banned in OT.

... Why are people getting so twisted up about this?

Just be nice to people. Thats it. There are no underlying themes, hidden meanings, nothing. Just treat people with respect brehs. Whether thats calling someone a fuckboy, asshole, cocksmith, bootygang affiliate, dont matter. Make sure that dude is cool with being a bootygang affiliate before you rub his face in it (pun intended).

I been drinkin so forgive me if my analogies are slippin, cant hit homeruns all the time brehs

You're right, I always wait for people to settle in before I call them a cunt. That's life.

WanderingWind

Alright, so the reset this page, I'm going to listen to this Lupe today. I already know y'all hate it, but I still have high hopes. You can never tell though, because Lupe stans loved Lasers and Lupe haters would hate if he dropped a legit classic in 2015.

Nice that single was dope.
Looking forward to the album and I hope it's not another concept record. 36 Seasons is dope but I feel like these tightly structured narratives prevent Ghost from truly being Ghost. The abstract lyrics and random lines go out the window in favor of a scripted story; there's no room for Ghost to go get that butter almond before a bit, or bust a nut in his son's girlfriend's hair. I miss that Ghost.

Looking forward to the album and I hope it's not another concept record. 36 Seasons is dope but I feel like these tightly structured narratives prevent Ghost from truly being Ghost. The abstract lyrics and random lines go out the window in favor of a scripted story; there's no room for Ghost to go get that butter almond before a bit, or bust a nut in his son's girlfriend's hair. I miss that Ghost.

I think it'll be more what you're looking for I think he wants to do just that but with a similar jazz live band sound of 36 seasons.

first post here. eminem is my favorite artist. really impressed by shady xv and how he could rap without a beat. wish more rappers tried this.

haven't heard of most of the stuff i've seen in here, some of it sounds like dance music which i like too.

aight just keeping everyone accountable lol
you never know with the hyperbole in here
was scared of "immortal technique top 5, em's only good album was infinite" sort of answers

sidenote: I think an interesting list would be ranking top 20 rappers and top 20 albums, and adding the scores together. For example, something like Paid in Full would be super high but I can't see Eric B. and Rakim being in many peoples' top 10 lists. (not that they necessarily shouldn't be though)

vibes man
Putting aside commercial hype and the coattails of critical acclaim from a couple legendary solo albums, do Jay Em or Nas have better solo careers than Raekwon, Ghostface or Method Man?
I dunno.

IrishNinja

caught up after a long weekend, kinda glad storm went in on newjacks talkin greasy about classics but then it's not that serious

This might be the most fuckery-driven of all of our GAF-Hop OTs.

might be?

Does NAS still go by "Nasty"?

If it wasn't, it must've been escobar

and this is why I never understood the hype. when he slows it down he is ok but people were acting like he was the second coming of big baby jesus.....

Danny's made some fantastic albums and that track's great too, i don't really see the backlash myself

Welcome bro, hope you stick around.

I hope you're not a Nas stan
02Do2Ff.png

heaven forbid
what this thread really needs is more ye fuckbois :moonface:

oh shit theres some stuff on this Jay-Z pre reasonable doubt tape i've never heard

Is this what IrishNinja was posting a couple days ago? I haven't heard a couple of these Sauce Money collabos.

ah, you found it! was hoping you would, and also was hoping there'd be new shit on it too. i wasn't sure which demo stuff you'd heard before

Also Courage, you should check out People Under the Stairs if you're looking for more of that Pharcyde/De La/having fun music.

^co-signed
also forever cosigning CRS' dolppelgangaz push

Can't wait until someone tries to join Gaf Hop and says Eminem is their favourite artist

for real count? so WW doesn't even register out there?

BUT HE'S SPITTING BARS BREH

oh god, that thread even had images explaining the depth too
ya'll just don't know

Time to put down the 808s and heartbreak and pick up some CEO music. Lift weights, drink liquor that gives you hangovers, meet new people, learn new things

Enjoy life cb

best advice one can give, been on this shit since last fall and it's been a ride

Hey remember when I told you guys TDE were all Hov stans and y'all got mad?

Check mate.

damn, i must've missed that bit but fair fucks, there it is...man what a shitty list from a shitty artist

That Lupe thread is rap god all over again.

And I did listen to that lupe album. It was like single ply tissue paper on my tush. Uncomfortable as hell and I could buy better for myself, but I guess this'll do for some people.

see i wanna talk some shit about confirmation bias but i still havent heard it yet & will go in thinking it's booty so there it is...for real though, the GOAT talk always seems to come from heads that you know ain't listen to shit else & just assume migos/thugger is all that's going on right now

HdOpEyd.png

(that's the project with Ghostface)

here for this, so hard
Ghost has been so consistent for a minute now, and i love this pairing

i hear you, but this still feels more like a one-over, yeah? i mean i guess you could say Ghostdini & a few others went for thematic but that really feels more an outlier than the standard Starks LP, really not getting a theme vibe from the one track we heard at least

Report back.

Or don't. I don't really give a shit.

stay blessed, yungsnuggles~

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Impressions - Joey Bada$$' B4.DA.$$

More and more I find that if a project doesn't surprise me or have some exceptional standouts, I pretty much never go back to it. This album pretty much has neither, but it's solid. Joey doing what he does best and not making excuses for it. I can't lie, it taps into the feel of old school boom bap for me, and it does hook me in. I feel it. I'm knocking my head to this. Part of me feels wrong for doing so, but the more I listen, it's kind of an irrational feeling. The songs are just good, and Joey is transparent about his influences and him still learning as a super young MC that some of the cognitive dissonance is kind of removed.

Some of the references, sound effects and melodies are really explicit in what they're trying to evoke, to the point where I can see this really annoying Nas, Wu, etc. fans, and I can totally understand that. Despite this, he's really flowing on a lot of these joints, and I'm a sucker for when an MC sounds really comfortable on the mic and that comes across for me. Just a lot of good songs, nothing too crazy, but there aren't many tracks on here I'd outright call bad either, and if they are, they're the bonus tracks. Standouts are probably Paper Trail$, Big Dusty and Hazeus View.

First Impressions - Lupe Fiasco's Tetsuo & Youth

The messages on this project are ham-fisted and delivered with little finesse. May as well have called K.R.I.T. over to do the hook; NO FOOD CUZ IM POOR NO FOOD CUZ IM POOR NO FOOD CUZ IM POOR. Most of the features are middling, and I don't mind Nikki Jean but.. there's too much of her. Dots and Lines and Chopper are just cringeworthy. Songs are kind of a mixed bag as well. The singles + Mural are stellar (Mural gets better as it goes on, and still keeps my attention despite being so long), and Madonna is an early SotY contender but the rest are decent to forgettable.

I don't know. I need to give it another listen but something about it isn't sticking. Mural sets a really good tone and then it sort of dissolves and almost feels generic at times? I think stuff like Nikki Jean on like 3 tracks contributes to that sort of homogenous texture. There's nothing really gripping or a hook that the album has that carries it. Production goes up and down, Lupe's performance on the mic goes up and down, and the songs themselves kind of go up and down, often down.

WanderingWind

Was, goddamn it. Was. And I was young.

Okay, so I know some of y'all think I'm going to stan for this Lupe album, but the tracks before Fall are useless. Mural is like Rap God, technically impressive but not saying shit. It's okay for a rappity rap track, but it's way too long and had me actively resisting the skip button by minute 4.

The next few tracks are woefully misplaced love songs. Just dull, paint by numbers lovey dopey shit. Pass.

Prisoners 1&2 is great. I'm about to listen to the rest of it now. So far though, 1 out of 4 tracks is not a good ratio.

IrishNinja

Why you ready to die? You just a baby
Why them tears up under your eyes? You just a baby
Keep your head up in the sky, you just a baby
Quit chasing money, never mind, you just a baby
Why you wanna be born again? You just a baby
Why you playing in the streets? You just a baby

2851b15734f96db8b08bf701d4fa8f8a.710x468x1.png

gyLmi.gif

#LEVELS

Status
Not open for further replies.