• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Me.

It's the better album (althouogh of course Paid In Full is great). There are beats on there that just knock, and they're a lot funkier than Paid In Full. Whereas Paid In Full feels more like a DJ album in many respects. Lots of extended beats for dancing, whereas Follow The Leader just slaps you in the face.

the break beats on Lyrics Of Fury :whew:

Basically if someone was trying to get into hip hop and wanted me to suggest an Eric B & Rakim album, I'd suggest Follow The Leader and be confident they'd like most of it.

Yeah, it's one of those cases where I think it's overall a better listen but gets recommended less because it's not as emblematic of the times. If I'm gonna be honest, I might say Rakim sounds more comfortable and overall better as well.

I'd kill for a version of Microphone Fiend with updated drums.

TDE's silence about the January 27th date is interesting. I don't buy it - if retail was expecting the album in less than a week we'd have a leaked album cover - but it kind of makes me think the album will be out during or right after the Grammys.

Some TDE affiliates laughed it off. I think it's fake.

Tokubetsu

TDE's silence about the January 27th date is interesting. I don't buy it - if retail was expecting the album in less than a week we'd have a leaked album cover - but it kind of makes me think the album will be out during or right after the Grammys.

rumor mill saying a rihanna album coming grammy night too

I don't even know what to respond to from the last page
goddamn lol

would be absolutely crazy for something to drop the 27th though
like can you even imagine

IrishNinja

much love for all the birthday shoutouts, crew - had an impromptu thing at the crib, shit was cool

outkast is sort've a social barometer though; like i wasnt even toking back then but everyone i knew was & was wanting to play that (and bone thugs type shit), so even when i wasnt checking for outkast, id say some reckless shit about them being overrated and end up being sat the fuck down to hear ATL/aquemini/stank etc

catchin up

morton salt

garlic salt

bjork >>> ye tho
by like a country mile if we're comparing none like things

i mean there's been enough tracks since then but that shit's gonna be hard to top
i always die at the "ninja ninja ninja" whispering into the mic too

homeys over hoes

dead

Damn, I'm the only one here who fucks with some Outkast?

the colored folk who made idlewild? yup

still the best conway west album

fixed

Yeah, super good. Felt like a lost Outkast album.

i wanna say that was pretty much the agreed on thing here at the time, while ace was pushing boi > andre too

^ Ehhhhh, that's such a weird comparison.

The def Kast list:

ATLiens >(=) Aquemini > Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik = Stankonia > Speakerboxx/Love Below > Idlewild.

It is known.

wish i could argue with this, but i can't

Me.

It's the better album (althouogh of course Paid In Full is great). There are beats on there that just knock, and they're a lot funkier than Paid In Full. Whereas Paid In Full feels more like a DJ album in many respects. Lots of extended beats for dancing, whereas Follow The Leader just slaps you in the face.

the break beats on Lyrics Of Fury :whew:

Basically if someone was trying to get into hip hop and wanted me to suggest an Eric B & Rakim album, I'd suggest Follow The Leader and be confident they'd like most of it.

sometimes ya'll on some weird narrative but yeah, i can totally see this. still love the shit outta Paid in Full for those reasons but it's almost like when shinobis would make the case for Forever being a more complete/polished effort than 36: not a lotta arguing around it when you really sit down with em.

i totally got remember Follow the Leader being played in Who's the Man? and picking up Don't Sweat the Technique cause i couldn't stop bumping Know the Ledge off the Juice OST too

Tokubetsu

THIS SOFT MOON

3UQcvrf.gif

Dug

Banned
Nothing, however, prepared the room for what happened at 10am, when Steve Bartels bought out Kanye West to say a “few words” and play some new music. West, clearly in a good mood, began by recounting his career path, from making beats for Jay Z to being part of Def Poetry Jam to getting booed on stage for wearing a Roc-a-Fella necklace, because in his words “Unless you’d killed four people you couldn’t rap.” He told a story about going to jail for stealing a maxi-cassette single, because he “needed the information” on it.

He spoke of himself as a “contradiction”, that it was his “responsibility to innovate” and “Things are going good so far, so I have risk being Kanye—I’m the best motherfucker at innovation.” “Sometimes innovation means you have to move on; sometimes I don’t like where I’ve moved on to…like not being on the radio.” He then said he needed to retract a prior statement he made when the Yeezus record came out about not caring about being on the radio: “It was a joke! You weren’t supposed to take it seriously—I want to be on the radio!” He told candid stories about past interactions with record execs, producers, his managers and working with Sir Paul McCartney. He swore he asked Sir Paul “What was pussy like in the ’60s?” In between tales, he would sing or rap a verse or a chorus of a song and even sang “Only One” a cappella.

This went on for almost an hour.

West finally played a new song featuring Rihanna that he said he’s about to release, pulled the plug on his laptop and walked off stage to a standing ovation. During the break, there were some mixed reactions to what happened, not to mention the fact that his stream-of-consciousness monologue put the day an hour behind schedule. But that said, no one could deny that it was clearly a moment.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news10272m01

Eos

i mean there's been enough tracks since then but that shit's gonna be hard to top
i always die at the "ninja ninja ninja" whispering into the mic too
That's one of my favourite videos lol, definitely needs a sequel. that guy's smile always gets me.
he's actually saying "nikka" which means small in punjabi and sounds like ninja

Esch

Banned
Not by a long shot

Damn Hannibal stans

Am I doing it right?

needs more of an implication that the group of people that like something you don't have some sort of character flaw. a broad generalization, some questionable psychoanalysis, these are the tools you need.

but your heart is in the right place.

big ander

Stankonia>Aquemini>Speakerboxxx>Southernplayalisticadillacmusik>The Love Below>>ATLiens>>>>>Idlewild

Jody straight up looks like a Street Shark now

Linius

needs more of an implication that the group of people that like something you don't have some sort of character flaw. a broad generalization, some questionable psychoanalysis, these are the tools you need.

but your heart is in the right place.

You get my vibe m8

Real talk: Hannibal is fun. But I'm tired of all the people acting like it's the second coming of Jesus on TV.

codhand

Aquemini > Atliens > Southernplayalistic tie with Stankonia > Speakerboxx > Love Below > Idlewild

I think most here prefer Atliens > Aquemini, and I did too at one time, but now it sounds kinda dated and amatuerish to me, much like Southerplayalistic.

Love Below was always the gentleman's choice on that weak ass 2xLP, and yes, Idlewild was possibly worse than that new Roots album

Jody straight up looks like a Street Shark now

lol

horrible ordering btw

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alchemist talks about how Keep It Thoro changed his career. He doesn't say much you don't expect but I like watching this stuff anyways.

Ryan Hemsworth ft. Alex G - Too Long Here video.

Stevie Wonder did his own rendition of Kendrick's "i".

But let's just say he has a point: Icons are supposed to be these fixed Mount Rushmore types, carved from stone and frozen in a heyday. They don't move. They don't change or grow. They probably don't become full-fledged vegans in their sixties like Stevie—he has become, late in life, a guy who meets you for kombucha. He's also a guy who will surprise you with his informed taste in contemporary music. "Kendrick Lamar is extremely talented. But not only is he just talented; he has a real concern for the people," Stevie says. It's at this point in our conversation that Stevie jams out to his own rendition of Kendrick's new single, "i," his braids bouncing into motion, the wattage of his huge smile going up a few notches as he uses all four limbs to tap out different rhythms to the song. He turns "i" into the Stevie Wonder version of Kendrick Lamar—as though everything that goes into his ears gets remixed before it comes out again. "The good thing about the young," he says about Kendrick, "is that they want to fix things. They don't want to fall into the same ol' bullshit." (Icons probably don't say bullshit, either.)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You get my vibe m8

Real talk: Hannibal is fun. But I'm tired of all the people acting like it's the second coming of Jesus on TV.

well that's because it is. religion has all sorts of detractors. its cool you're an unbeliever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom