• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Aquemini > Atliens > Southernplayalistic tie with Stankonia > Speakerboxx > Love Below > Idlewild

I think most here prefer Atliens > Aquemini, and I did too at one time, but now it sounds kinda dated and amatuerish to me, much like Southerplayalistic.

Love Below was always the gentleman's choice on that weak ass 2xLP, and yes, Idlewild was possibly worse than that new Roots album

lol

horrible ordering btw
heh only significant difference mine has from yours is ATLiens though which, like you said, sounds dated. Didn't hear it at a formative time or anything so when I got to it it had nothin for me. But shrug

Nibel

Yeezy Season approachin'

EDIT: nvm Dug posted it.

Fucking Rihanna again.

3wkxaxf62ow3.png

The Eminemization of Yeezy, yes I know all of the lights yadda yadda

Courage

If he's legit trying to make a hit, Rihanna is the best popstar he could have picked.

The masses haven't had some Rihanna in a while.

DominoKid

ATLiens... DATED???!!! FoH

calling it dated isn't nearly as bad as calling it amateurish. it's not amateurish at all. it's the last grounded album they made. because they were still broke living at home when they made atliens and the album sounds like it.

that said Aquemini is still better.

IrishNinja

If he's legit trying to make a hit, Rihanna is the best popstar he could have picked.

The masses haven't had some Rihanna in a while.

we're better off without her in 2015 fam

Aquemini also holds up better

also ATLienshas a fake comic book cover, which dates its worse than any beat or rhyme could

i really don't get the "aged" argument; things sound like the era they hail from the best of them carry that, rather than be limited by it...ATLiens is such a thing, i think. and comparing it to Aquemini is weird for me since they're drastically different albums.

that said, FOH on knocking comic cover albums, i love them shits

big ander

Stankonia is their best album cover too, iconic
I like the skits on Aquemini.
several ATLiens tracks do nothing for me and even the good ones don't blow me away (this includes Elevators).
dont pull the thing out, unless you plan to bang

I'm an outkast Stan but you're talking about how fly the chicks are in the video. Maybe you should have done an Outkast ranking instead?

ATLiens>Stankonia>Aquemini>Southernplayasomething>Sir Lucious>Speakerbox>The Love Below> That other big boi album > that other movie album I never listened to with Lil Wayne.

You telling me y'all ain't attracted to women or like music videos in general? I know the first one is a lie going off some picks here and y'all need some variety in the convos., but I'll play on the albums. ATLiens, Stankonia, and then there's everything else. I love that Where Are My Panties interlude. Nice transition into Prototype.

You telling me y'all ain't attracted to women or like music videos in general? I know the first one is a lie going off some picks here and y'all need some variety in the convos., but I'll play on the albums. ATLiens, Stankonia, and then there's everything else. I love that Where Are My Panties interlude. Nice transition into Prototype.
Hey Blasian Persuasion when's the last time you had some ass?

IrishNinja

vinyl-GAF, my DJ buddy finally got back to me - he's got a PT 2400 Gemini i can have, but i have to replace the tonearm. anyone know where to find one?

HiResDes

We ready for that Year of the Savage doe.

2phoneshawty SOTY hoe
You talking about Robb Bank$? He better fucking deliver, I don't know how any rapper can squander such a buzz and stable of great producers while sitting on their ass riding the wave of their tapes from like two years ago.

Me.

It's the better album (althouogh of course Paid In Full is great). There are beats on there that just knock, and they're a lot funkier than Paid In Full. Whereas Paid In Full feels more like a DJ album in many respects. Lots of extended beats for dancing, whereas Follow The Leader just slaps you in the face.

the break beats on Lyrics Of Fury :whew:

Basically if someone was trying to get into hip hop and wanted me to suggest an Eric B & Rakim album, I'd suggest Follow The Leader and be confident they'd like most of it.

The music video for Follow the Leader is one of the best ever

Aquemini is one of the crispest sounding rap albums ever. Using it to prove how ATLiens' production sounds "dated" is fucking stupid. ATLiens is grimier because, like Domino mentioned, its budget was way fucking smaller. When the only artists you can afford to work on your album are a part of the Dungeon Family collective, it makes sense that the production will sound homogenous in retrospect -that's why it's a more cohesive product than Aquemini, imo. Aquemini is bubblegummy, incredibly polished, and much more indicative of the crossover-pop direction they were heading in. ATLiens was still firmly rooted in the gangster-gangster back and forth they'd established in Southernplayalistic but included an emotional depth that was possible because of the increased distinction between Big's and Andre's characters. With each successive tape they try to replicate that, and fall short because of the flanderization of both performers.

Broadly speaking, if you like the dirty south and/or identify as a stuck in the 90's ninja, you'll enjoy ATLiens; if you like the super glossy, super expensive aesthetic in the increasingly lucrative, but creatively flatlining landscape of turn of the millennium rap, you'll enjoy Aquemini. I, for one, enjoy both equally. Not out of a well-tempered decision I've reached, but purely out of spite for you guys who hold this debate every 5 months.

Remark

Banned
You talking about Robb Bank$? He better fucking deliver, I don't know how any rapper can squander such a buzz and stable of great producers while sitting on their ass riding the wave of their tapes from like two years ago.
Just wait my dude Robb Bank$ gon deliver in 10 fold if 2phoneshawty is any indicator.

Also didn't Tha City come out in 2013. Not that long ago tbh. He just went a year without material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom