• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

What are your guys low key/underrated favorite albums from the 00's?

Edit: I just mean, not the usual suspects. I want to see if there is anything I missed.

Esch

Banned

Edit: I just mean, not the usual suspects. I want to see if there is anything I missed.

dalek- Abandoned Language
Pharoah Monch - Desire
Y Society - Travel At Your Own Place
Jazz Liberatorz - Clin D'Oeil
J-Live - All of the Above
Edan - Beauty and the Beat

some stuff i remember liking

Zion I - True & Livin'
Panacea - The Scenic Route
Soul Position - Unlimited EP
CunninLynguists - Southernunderground
Foreign Beggars - Asylum Speakers

CRS

4fwfw8.png

Coup- Pick a bigger weapon
Z-ro - Truth Be Told
Devin The Dude- Just trying to live
Project pata - Mista Dont play
Blackilicious - Blazing Arrow

Y Society - Travel At Your Own Pace

The best and most memorable underground rap album of 2007 was definitely Blu & Exile's Beneath The Heavens, but I truly feel this one is nearly as good. Damu The Fudgemunk "gets" vintage boom bap production in a way few Pete Rock imitators do, and the rapping from Insight is dope.

Panacea - A Mind on a Ship Through Time

Another dope rap duo from the aughts. Raw Poetic is one of the best MCs in rap to me: commanding voice, acrobatic delivery, and dope lyrics. The production is almost cloud rap - very ethereal mixed with boom bap.

Mos Def - True Magic

Definitely has some low lows but overall it's a solid album. Great production and some of Mos' best experimental scat rap. I know a lot of people dislike this album though...meh, give it a shot.

MF Grimm - American Hunger

I thought about putting The Downfall of Ibliys: A Ghetto Opera on the list but it's pretty much an underground classic album. It's far more overlooked than many underground aughts albums like Quasimoto's first album or Cannibal Ox's album, but it's at least recognized. However American Hunger is completely overlooked and low key IMO. The first and only triple album in hip hop history, it's surprisingly consistent. Not for everyone but if you fuck with Grimm you'll like it.

Trouble is that dude. I was pimping him out here maybe 3-4 years ago and he was honestly making easily the hardest trap music out, had a unique style etc etc. This video on Duct Tape Entertainment actually skips over a lot of shit these dudes have done but they are crazy lol. Shame I don't fuck with Trouble's music much nowadays, I don't really like the direction he went in

I thought about putting The Downfall of Ibliys: A Ghetto Opera on the list but it's pretty much an underground classic album. It's far more overlooked than many underground aughts albums like Quasimoto's first album or Cannibal Ox's album, but it's at least recognized. However American Hunger is completely overlooked and low key IMO. The first and only triple album in hip hop history, it's surprisingly consistent. Not for everyone but if you fuck with Grimm you'll like it.

Stay out of touch breh. You know damn well folks in here ain't hear Ghetto Opera. Just listen to that album too brehs

Stay out of touch breh. You know damn well folks in here ain't hear Ghetto Opera. Just listen to that album too brehs

Well yea, but I'm talking about underground heads. That album is up there with Operation Doomsday if you're into that type of shit, whereas I don't really hear people talk about American Hunger. I bet thabiz does...

Well yea, but I'm talking about underground heads. That album is up there with Operation Doomsday if you're into that type of shit, whereas I don't really hear people talk about American Hunger. I bet thabiz does...

I'm talking about underground heads too. I highly doubt most people who stan MF Doom have heard that album. It's so rarely talked about. Either way it's a great album

man when I get home I'll name some other aughts shit I loved. I tend to hate on 2003-2008 underground shit for weak drums, preachy rap, and bad song writing but there were some gems.

Talking about aughts rap, Lupe dropped a dope album...what year is this brehs.

DominoKid

Y Society - Travel At Your Own Pace

The best and most memorable underground rap album of 2007 was definitely Blu & Exile's Beneath The Heavens, but I truly feel this one is nearly as good. Damu The Fudgemunk "gets" vintage boom bap production in a way few Pete Rock imitators do, and the rapping from Insight is dope.

Panacea - A Mind on a Ship Through Time

Another dope rap duo from the aughts. Raw Poetic is one of the best MCs in rap to me: commanding voice, acrobatic delivery, and dope lyrics. The production is almost cloud rap - very ethereal mixed with boom bap.

Mos Def - True Magic

Definitely has some low lows but overall it's a solid album. Great production and some of Mos' best experimental scat rap. I know a lot of people dislike this album though...meh, give it a shot.

aw man this post reminds me of my dusty backpacker phase

curious to see what else you post from 03-08

Count, I came up with my own avatar because you kinda taking too long and I ain't trying to be a chump escaping the bet so I'm rocking this for my soulja girls out there across the world til you come up with send me something

DominoKid

The ATL Twins are absolutely insufferable but if thats how they had to get to DTE then that's cool. That lil wave Trouble and Alley Boy had ffor a minute was tight.

The weirdest thing about this series is how the white dude hits blunts

i never seen anybody hit a blunt like that lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom