• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

Like, Jay Z has some of the sickest lyrics ever, but I would never buy his CD, just because of my age and because of his age.

AYch4Io.gif

Never would I have expected Troy Ave to get radioplay on pop stations here.

I am happy for him but at the same time dude's a total lame lol.

Eos

people will stop listening to you when you are consistently putting out trash that no wants to hear,and even then, people will still listen to the older stuff if it's good.

since he used jigga as an example, his older albums are way better than his newer ones (this is a fact) but I still listen to his older stuff.

Esch

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNujaJcjkZc

q3ZW6ye.gif

Scottsdale Police want a sit down with Diddy because a disgruntled fan claims the mogul slugged him during a Super Bowl bash -- but video of the incident shows the fan was asking for trouble.

The accuser, Steven Donaldson claims Diddy was slated to host a nightclub party Saturday evening, but didn't show until 1:15 in the morning -- and then, only hung out in VIP ... rarely getting onstage.

Donaldson says he was pissed because he paid $100 to see Diddy -- so he decided to get in his face and cuss him out. In video obtained by TMZ, you can hear Donaldson berating Diddy multiple times before they end up face to face. Donaldson claims that's when Diddy punched him in the face.

The video cuts out as Diddy allegedly throws the blow. Adding insult to possible injury, Donaldson says security tackled him -- NOT Diddy -- and tossed him from the party.

Law enforcement sources say Diddy had split by the time cops arrived, but a very intoxicated Donaldson was there ... and filed a battery report.

We called Diddy's camp for comment, but no word back yet.

I understand the argument that "hip" hop is largely a product of the youth and in-tune with what's current...but at the same time that mentality seems to be taken to its philosophical extremes to ensure the genre doesn't respect itself. I think Jay is trash and his attempts to appropriate current rap trends are corny...but dude is a legend and a great rapper. I wish dudes would act their age and not worry about appealing to 20 year old assholes but that's just not how the genre works. That being said, I can't imagine completely writing Jay off because he's 40+ years old. If he has something dope to say I'm going to listen.

injurai

Banned
I understand the argument that "hip" hop is largely a product of the youth and in-tune with what's current...but at the same time that mentality seems to be taken to its philosophical extremes to ensure the genre doesn't respect itself. I think Jay is trash and his attempts to appropriate current rap trends are corny...but dude is a legend and a great rapper. I wish dudes would act their age and not worry about appealing to 20 year old assholes but that's just not how the genre works. That being said, I can't imagine completely writing Jay off because he's 40+ years old. If he has something dope to say I'm going to listen.

This is true for everyone tbh. Just most people don't agree one what's dope. Which is why trying to target everyone or sweep up the youth is an exercise in min-maxing. Minimise respect, maximize profits. The wheels keep on turning, and this always stays the same.

injurai

Banned
Why does it have to be like that though. Call someone's career over like that? Is it because hip-hop leans on ego like a crutch? You can't get by without it and when you use it you're prone to losing out? Ruthless.

IrishNinja

Deep Thoughts™ with Young Thug: Vol 1

im tellin yall

nah

Bronson is 3 for 3. Nothing special but he's about to deliver a fun record with some varied, top tier production. Cool.

really getting excited for it, yeah, prolly one of my most hyped projects for the year so far

Finally we can agree on something

nevermind, bronson
trash.png

more aughts dust from yours truly.

Soul Position - 8 Million Stories

man, Fuckajob was my shit for a minute too
also this rawls/ronson ain't bad but i can see where exile/etc did it better

I just want to say

damn, you too bruh?
i swear, Q1 for hip hop is like Q1 for movies, studios just dump all the lupe/sean/reindeer games type trash

SunhiLegend indeed

haha goddamn, that is perfect

That Action Bronson album aint ever dropping

like when has dude stalled out or been held up for clearances? there's so many artists you can say this on, don't get it here

Young Thug > Jay Z. Not even debatable.

i feel you snuggles
50 Shades of Grey > Siddhartha
New > Old

Put down $100 to see Diddy in 2015 brehs.

seriously, dude got what he paid for

Nibel

I mean yeah, I can't recall the last time I heard a Jay Z track and bounced with it, but he is still fucking Jay Z; I'll always give his stuff a shot even if the singles make me shake my head.

Jay is a legend, Thug is a fad, and will be forgotten in the coming years. When you put out good music or have some kind of impressive legacy to rely on, people will listen to your stuff. Eminem is pretty old and the younger generation still fucks with him. Everybody knows who Snoop Dogg is. And if Dre dropped Detox tomorrow, everybody would talk about it.

I mean yeah, I can't recall the last time I heard a Jay Z track and bounced with it, but he is still fucking Jay Z; I'll always give his stuff a shot even if the singles make me shake my head.

Jay is a legend, Thug is a fad, and will be forgotten in the coming years. When you put out good music or have some kind of impressive legacy to rely on, people will listen to your stuff. Eminem is pretty old and the younger generation still fucks with him. Everybody knows who Snoop Dogg is. And if Dre dropped Detox tomorrow, everybody would talk about it.

I don't think Young Thug's statement was meant to be taken seriously unless you're thugger himself or Snuggles

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I can not hear that song for the next five year, get smashed over the head and end up in a coma for the next 8 years, wake up with amnesia pissing my drawers and I'd still be able to recite Kurupts verse on that.

Detox

On mobile so I'm not going to link to individual annotations but Rick Rubin just did a bunch on rap genius.

Says only verse Jay has written and spit exact as it is on paper was the 2nd one on 99 problems. The rest Jay writes remembers but everytime the words will be slightly different or in a different order.

He also said he never really listened to the chronic only fucks with breakbeat, b boy hip hop.

Here's his page http://genius.com/RickRubin

IrishNinja

Doggystyle is such a classic, but yeah that's gotta be my favorite track

this is such a goldmine, didn't even know Rubin was on there - the Jay/other stuff is interesting, but he was the one who brought "Hurt" to Cash? that's amazing; i'm a huge NIN fan and Cash absolutely owned that song.

or like

The first album-album I did was LL Cool J’s Radio, and second was Raising Hell, and then Licensed To Ill. I was also working on Slayer’s Reign In Blood and The Cult’s Electric.

..jesus chirst, i forget how much talent he was attached to, in their prime

edit

I just listened to Supreme Clientele the other day, and it’s kind of untouchable.

this dude

Something we talked about with Kanye was doing an alternate version of Yeezus, because there are so many versions of songs, great versions. There are versions just as good as what’s on the album, just different. I know as a fan of the album, I’d like to hear that. Maybe some day, whenever he wants. But it exists! That shit exists.

infinite Yeezus on infinite earfs

Kanye told me Yeezus was the first album where he was happy with the way it came out.

HOL THAT, MBDTF STANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom