• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Seems to be more than that

BLl7BE6.png

Gold in 3 days

I guess doing that "doesn't keep the lights on".

Ebro did a really interesting interview on the combat jack show about how radio works. To give it context, he called Sean Price a minor league rapper because he's underground

Seems to be more than that

BLl7BE6.png

Gold in 3 days

Jesus Christ wheelchair jimmy out here eating. Im not the biggest fan of Drake but that's awesome to see from an artist that isnt Kanye, Beyonce, or Jay Z. Especially considering it came almost out of nowhere

overcast

Drake is the biggest rapper on Earth it really isn't shocking. He will consistently put everyone else to shame in the sales department for years.

More surprising is him releasing an hour long release that feels like it goes nowhere and treads water. Do better next time.
yeshrug.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jesus Christ wheelchair jimmy out here eating. Im not the biggest fan of Drake but that's awesome to see from an artist that isnt Kanye, Beyonce, or Jay Z. Especially considering it came almost out of nowhere
Drake has been in that Kanye/Jay league for quite a while now. Dude has etched himself in history as one of the all time greats with the amount of feats he has accomplished in such a small time.

Drake has been in that Kanye/Jay league for quite a while now. Dude has etched himself in history as one of the all time greats with the amount of feats he has accomplished in such a small time.

Of course. What I was trying to say is that he's a youngin and that's awesome. Establishing a brand rather than solely an artistry is really the only way to sell music anymore.

Esch

Banned
Lex Luger fell off so quick, dude wore that same ol drum loop, snare and "hype" chick OUT
.........Lex Luger actually has a lot more versatility than you're giving him credit for. It's not his fault that people typecast him for BMF.

That's how the beat making game goes.

DominoKid

yep it'll happen to Mustard soon too unless he latches on to an upcoming pop star to solidify himself like Mike Will did w/ Miley

curious to see if Mustard can make an artist like Mike made Rae Sremmurd.

.........Lex Luger actually has a lot more versatility than you're giving him credit for. It's not his fault that people typecast him for BMF.

That's how the best making game goes.

Oh I know, dude is a decent piano player and messed with a wide range of stuff (I liked his production on that Wale track "That Way"). But within the confines of his trap beats...he abused that one drum loop, snare and "hype" girl snippet. He didn't help himself at all. Like even after making H.A.M. he stuck to his BMF, he never attempted to inject variety into his trap beats.

Like when an artist says "give me a beat like BMF" they want that same feeling but there is still enough leeway for you to experiment. It's like that for many industries, people want you to produce the exact same thing as someone else but you still find enough room to give them what they want but is distinguishable from your last work enough.

I say that as someone who sometimes freelance designs and I get asked constantly to basically "give me what you gave that person". At the end of the day you have to be the one to guide your client without being overly pushy. Honestly that's what separates a great artist who sucks at selling themselves from a decent aritst but is great at selling themselves. Which is why you get so many poo producers but they keep getting work.

It's the reason why Ye, Timbo and...ugh Pharrell can command the prices they do. They'll give you that sound you wanted but will make it unique enough to be something completely different.

Lex made Wiz Khalifa's Cabin Fever mixtape without his beats, shit would have been asstier...much like most of Wiz discography (Yes, K&OJ is good now stop mentioning it).

Furyous

how is there not one lex luger track on blue dream and lean 2? man wth happened here.

I was going to download but now you changed my mind. Blue Dream and Lean was solid effort.

B.I.G. Sean might have album of the year if it's the same quality as these three songs leaked thus far. Detroit on some cheat code shit as far as hip-hop goes. Every time I look up they putting out classics or critically acclaimed albums. Sean did it again. Thankfully Ye has him on a semi annual release schedule where he releases every few years instead of every year like other artists.

Yeezus tree>>> your favorite rapper's tree. With the exception of Consequence everyone puts out dope music or somehow found a way to get them checks. He's like a mixture of the Hov/50 school of artist development. He won't completely leave you on your own but he won't coddle them all the time as well.

effzee

Damn those are amazing #s for Drake!

Haven't listened to it yet but expecting the usual 4-5 tracks that I like while wishing the rest was a different rapper on good production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom