• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwixotik

How Chief Keef and Andy Milonakis linked up? The world will never know

What are you talking about? Andy's a G
JXAV2PF.png

IrishNinja

damn, last few pages went from dickriding drake ("one of the all time greats...") to detox crushing the building, i love it

also

9e55fe4a6a6cac4b7d83bece8ac27755.gif

also Bronson says Fuck That's Delicious S2 will be on TV.

might be time to finally get cable

Drake's sadder older brother J.Cole just crossed 750k.

sadboys gonna keep runnin shit in 15 i see

kinda sad this joke took so long, but at least it's here now

winamp 4 life

talk to 'em biz

Nibel

"Dickriding"
e5YuU.gif

Dude made a great mixtape, it's selling exceptionally well and you guys still salty as hell like the rest of the people who claim to know a thing or two about rap

Fuck the racist 'lightskin' gibberish, the boring 'soft' memes (not saying that these can be found in Gaf-Hop or this thread since I didn't read all pages) etc dude is one of us and is putting the genre on the map with the new tape without doing any kind of cringe promotion

Be real for a sec, at least once in your life /mastersmodeoff

25f3vkllksar.png

Besides

overcast

It was an okay tape that sold well. That's what I said. Never said he's soft. Not sure anyone did this time around.

Edit: you said that wasn't found here. Nm. Still dont understand why bother bringing it up then.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
"Dickriding"
e5YuU.gif

Some people are always gonna hate whoever is on top. I'm sure the same thing happened with the Beatles in the 60's, MJ in the 80's, and now Drake for the new generation. They can talk all the shit they want, but his legacy will be what people look back upon, not the detractors.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dark Sky Paradise left me feeling the same way as Hall of Fame. A few good tracks but the rest bores me. Sean's flow and goofy lyricism gets grating really fast. Maybe he's just not for me outside of the occasional feature.

Nibel

Some people are always gonna hate whoever is on top. I'm sure the same thing happened with the Beatles in the 60's, MJ in the 80's, and now Drake for the new generation. They can talk all the shit they want, but his legacy will be what people look back upon, not the detractors.

Preach.

Listening to Sean now - funny that All Your Fault uses the same sample as That's How Much from Left Boy which I liked; track is a banger for sure, Kanye showing some teeth again

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Big Sean has truly risen to new heights with this album, brehs.

K6VP89y.png

my dude went from unbearable to completely fucking terrible.

Big Sean has truly risen to new heights with this album, brehs.

K6VP89y.png

my dude went from unbearable to completely fucking terrible.

seriously?
i don't enjoy him at all besides his singles but i think it's pretty decent so far
(definitely some duds though)
also probably the best Lil Wayne verse in a long time

IrishNinja

classic wu freestyle...immediately, if not soon

"Dickriding"
e5YuU.gif

i mean you know i enjoy most of his works but this right here

Dude has etched himself in history as one of the all time greats with the amount of feats he has accomplished in such a small time.

5468-a11296a6525b9e1231681ab068297beb.jpg

also could ya'll praise ya lightskin deity on some other non-PD birthday, that's very offensive to his culture somehow

They can talk all the shit they want

cool

ps tried to warn ya'll bout sean but here we are

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
seriously?
i don't enjoy him at all besides his singles but i think it's pretty decent so far
(definitely some duds though)
also probably the best Lil Wayne verse in a long time

his voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me, Syph. just can't deal with it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Impressions - Big Sean's Dark Sky Paradise

First of all, the cover is garbage. I don't usually replace stock covers but I'll be using this.

The project kind of leaves me with the same feeling I got from Hall of Fame, in the sense that I just wish it had more absolutely great songs instead of a bunch of okay and good ones. I feel like the production was more cohesive on Hall of Fame IIRC (or at least helped build a better vibe throughout), whereas the raps are much more impressive on Dark Sky Paradise. And man, the raps are definitely there. From the gate Sean is spazzing, and even though I'm usually wary of songs that get extended after the fact because they were hot, he makes Paradise even better. It even helps some otherwise vanilla sounding songs like Win Some, Lose Some (still not crazy about this song). Even on the weaker songs I feel like he shows up and makes songs that might be weaker in concept/songwriting a bit more tolerable.

I feel a lot of time Sean tries to make anthems or really personal/inspirational tracks, but because of his delivery/hooks you just don't really feel the emotion from them. I get the feel that Sean is still trying to "find" his sound, and he is still progressing towards that, but he's got to get over that before it all comes together on a single project. I think he got it right on Finally Famous but Sean wasn't satisfied with how poppy it ended up being, and it's clear he's been trying to switch his sound up these past two albums. Songs like Stay Down, Play No Games (terrible) and to some extent Win Some, Lose Song are lacking that energy, and as a result are the only real sub-par songs on there.

Standouts are All Your Fault, I Know, Blessings, and Deep. Also One Man Can Change The World is growing on me. Not sure how it compares to his previous releases, and I might be wrong about the production on Hall of Fame as I haven't listened to that since a few months after it came out, and I don't really know if I'll even be listening to any of this in a month. It shows competence and promise, but lasting quality? Not sure.

Esch

Banned
Sean's flow is dope as usual but no matter what he does or what he goes, he just kinda can't contain his own inner obnoxiousness. The delivery, the fuccboi lyricism, he just can't help it. He just can't control himself. He can't tone it down. You could drop Big Sean right in the middle of ISIL controlled space, leave him nothing but a knife to defend himself with for a year, then pick him back up and he'd still be using stuff like 'oh my gawwwwd' as an adlib. He just loves to plank, to wear neon wifebeaters out to house parties, probably has a KTT account, probably drinks moscato exclusively when he's by himself. I'm sure that old photo rolls of him from a couple years back are full of tebowing. that's just how he is, who he is at his core.

just some preliminary thoughts.
dUlMFSY.png

illadelph

Sean's flow is dope as usual but no matter what he does or what he goes, he just kinda can't contain his own inner obnoxiousness. The delivery, the fuccboi lyricism, he just can't help it. He just can't control himself. He can't tone it down. You could drop Big Sean right in the middle of ISIL controlled space, leave him nothing but a knife to defend himself with for a year, then pick him back up and he'd still be using stuff like 'oh my gawwwwd' as an adlib. He just loves to plank, to wear neon wifebeaters out to house parties, probably has a KTT account, probably drinks moscato exclusively when he's by himself. I'm sure that old photo rolls of him from a couple years back are full of tebowing. that's just how he is, who he is at his core.

just some preliminary thoughts.
dUlMFSY.png

fuckin dead

I'm gonna go listen to this fuckery myself

Dark Sky Paradise
Album starts off real strong All Your Fault :)WHEW:) but tapers off after Paradise Win Some and Lose Some, Stay Down and I Know man are just boring tracks and Jhene Aiko just doesn't work for me at all she comes off corny on both of her features but it picks up with Deep and the album closes out strong with the last two songs. Bonus tracks are cool really feel the one with Ariana should've replaced one of the Aiko ones.
I'd give it a light 7 overall.

Favorite tracks: All Your Fault, Blessings, One Man Can Change the World, Play No Games, Outro.

First Impressions - Big Sean's Dark Sky Paradise

First of all, the cover is garbage. I don't usually replace stock covers but I'll be using this.

Yeah I used the purple variant of that cover.

Nibel

Hm.

The production is mostly great, sometimes stellar even.

But Sean has just nothing to say. He became famous, rich and that's what he has been rapping about since Finally Famous. At least other rappers have been in news or something, or are having thoughts about the culture or the American society, or rap about the same stuff as Sean does but don't feel as stale (yet).

I feel like he just isn't doing any progress anymore when it comes to his sound. He doesn't do any interesting experiments, he doesn't showcase any lyrical/technical tongue magic, nothing.

Dunno, it is a well produced album and if I would hear any of these songs anywhere I would't revolt or shit, but that's about it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel like he just isn't doing any progress anymore when it comes to his sound. He doesn't do any interesting experiments, he doesn't showcase any lyrical/technical tongue magic, nothing.
I don't understand this at all. Sean has dipped into quite a few styles (some of the more atmospheric stuff on Hall of Fame, poppier stuff on Finally Famous, more trap in Detroit, etc.) and I don't know how you can pass him off as not showcasing his technical skills when he's one of the elite in the game. Not only that he does experiment with single songs like Guap and Switch Up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom