• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmao @ Joell Ortiz and Big Sean being some of the elite in the game technically while Gibbs is "creeping up"

LMAO

ieRBxpzZN.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gibbs as fantastic at flowing, and better than some of those others listed, but writing-wise he really doesn't have a heavy metaphor/simile game. That's less opinion and more is what it is.

Esch

Banned
give sean his credit for crystallizing the hashtag flow. without it drake would be playing the father in disney movies, jah bless.

Yes. It's amazing. It remembers all of the information from iTunes, has pretty much all of the features and seems faster and slightly more lightweight. When I got it I installed the Nero AAC and Lame Codec in the codec folder to be able to encode in V0MP3 and AAC. Then I just went to find more skins and downloaded the coolest ones including some iTunes like ones and copied those in the skin folder. I don't think I'll be using iTunes much at all anymore. Not looking back. It even has a built in last.fm scrobbler.
Of all things I would think you wouldn't be using some pleb player. For shame.

Gibbs as fantastic at flowing, and better than some of those others listed, but writing-wise he really doesn't have a heavy metaphor/simile game. That's less opinion and more is what it is.

And Eminem does, in 2014/2015? C'mon fam. I'll agree Gibbs isn't the most complicated rapper but his flow is quite technical/impressive.

Gibbs flow is so good it makes up for whatever he's lacking in wordplay. A lot of people like to play the "Nah, but he flows really good" card for garbage rappers even though their flow is nothing special, but Gibbs is so effortless, so buttery smooth, so melodic. Nothing he says sound awkward or forced, unlike Big Sean's struggle offbeat flow or his weird extended syllable cadence. Gibbs also uses that "rollover bar" thing where he moves from one line to the next with minimal breaks like Nas does sometimes, and it never interferes with the rhythm of the verse.

I'm sorry, but Sean and Ortiz ain't on that level.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
And Eminem does, in 2014/2015? C'mon fam. I'll agree Gibbs isn't the most complicated rapper but his flow is quite technical/impressive.
He doesn't really (and it hurts that the content is also corny), but Eminem can still do multisyllabic rhyming, and some more complex rhyming patterns that others won't touch. I only throw Em on there because he's really good at structuring his shit even if it's all filler and essentially nonsense.

Sean has some of the cleanest and frequent flow switching, and in the past year since BURN or so he's proved quite versatile as well, showing he can do a lot more when off those No I.D. drums that he usually puts in all of his tracks.

Joell is a jack of all trades, super complete MC and I realized that after listening to that Frequency tape. He's a rapper's rapper. Only thing I can think of that he lacks is being able to stay entertaining on super low tempo beats.

Gibbs flow is so good it makes up for whatever he's lacking in wordplay. A lot of people like to play the "Nah, but he flows really good" card for garbage rappers even though their flow is nothing special, but Gibbs is so effortless, so buttery smooth, so melodic. Nothing he says sound awkward or forced, unlike Big Sean's struggle offbeat flow or his weird extended syllable cadence. Gibbs also uses that "rollover bar" thing where he moves from one line to the next with minimal breaks like Nas does sometimes, and it never interferes with the rhythm of the verse.

I'm sorry, but Sean and Ortiz ain't on that level.
Which is fine and dandy, but I disagree that being able to flow really well makes you technically one of the best inherently. Migos can come see Gibbs in that case.

enzo is spot on with his sean impressions. enjoyable listen but lasting quality? probably not. dude brought bars tho. now to find a cohesive sound.

all your fault still soty.

i5EHlOM13AVoo.gif

Furyous

First Impressions - Big Sean's Dark Sky Paradise

First of all, the cover is garbage. I don't usually replace stock covers but I'll be using this.

The project kind of leaves me with the same feeling I got from Hall of Fame, in the sense that I just wish it had more absolutely great songs instead of a bunch of okay and good ones. I feel like the production was more cohesive on Hall of Fame IIRC (or at least helped build a better vibe throughout), whereas the raps are much more impressive on Dark Sky Paradise. And man, the raps are definitely there. From the gate Sean is spazzing, and even though I'm usually wary of songs that get extended after the fact because they were hot, he makes Paradise even better. It even helps some otherwise vanilla sounding songs like Win Some, Lose Some (still not crazy about this song). Even on the weaker songs I feel like he shows up and makes songs that might be weaker in concept/songwriting a bit more tolerable.

I feel a lot of time Sean tries to make anthems or really personal/inspirational tracks, but because of his delivery/hooks you just don't really feel the emotion from them. I get the feel that Sean is still trying to "find" his sound, and he is still progressing towards that, but he's got to get over that before it all comes together on a single project. I think he got it right on Finally Famous but Sean wasn't satisfied with how poppy it ended up being, and it's clear he's been trying to switch his sound up these past two albums. Songs like Stay Down, Play No Games (terrible) and to some extent Win Some, Lose Song are lacking that energy, and as a result are the only real sub-par songs on there.

Standouts are All Your Fault, I Know, Blessings, and Deep. Also One Man Can Change The World is growing on me. Not sure how it compares to his previous releases, and I might be wrong about the production on Hall of Fame as I haven't listened to that since a few months after it came out, and I don't really know if I'll even be listening to any of this in a month. It shows competence and promise, but lasting quality? Not sure.

I need time to process this album but we pre-emptive response is Sean has another solid album on his hands. The D gets another W.

--

No thirst but IrisNinja has one of the best avatars on here.

--

Charles Hamilton is back! Did he ever apologize to Detroit or the Dilla Foundation? I'd love to see the stipulations on that contract.

Sean's flow is dope as usual but no matter what he does or what he goes, he just kinda can't contain his own inner obnoxiousness. The delivery, the fuccboi lyricism, he just can't help it. He just can't control himself. He can't tone it down. You could drop Big Sean right in the middle of ISIL controlled space, leave him nothing but a knife to defend himself with for a year, then pick him back up and he'd still be using stuff like 'oh my gawwwwd' as an adlib. He just loves to plank, to wear neon wifebeaters out to house parties, probably has a KTT account, probably drinks moscato exclusively when he's by himself. I'm sure that old photo rolls of him from a couple years back are full of tebowing. that's just how he is, who he is at his core.

just some preliminary thoughts.
dUlMFSY.png

goddamn lol

DominoKid

All Your Fault is FLAMES. I'll check the rest of this shit out later. I just needed to hear that one now.

Sean's flow is dope as usual but no matter what he does or what he goes, he just kinda can't contain his own inner obnoxiousness. The delivery, the fuccboi lyricism, he just can't help it. He just can't control himself. He can't tone it down. You could drop Big Sean right in the middle of ISIL controlled space, leave him nothing but a knife to defend himself with for a year, then pick him back up and he'd still be using stuff like 'oh my gawwwwd' as an adlib. He just loves to plank, to wear neon wifebeaters out to house parties, probably has a KTT account, probably drinks moscato exclusively when he's by himself. I'm sure that old photo rolls of him from a couple years back are full of tebowing. that's just how he is, who he is at his core.

just some preliminary thoughts.
dUlMFSY.png

this is it.

Dark Sky Paradise is as middling as every other BIg Sean release. None of em ever grabbed me enough to rave about, but they're not offensively bad either. Just kinda there with some good production. This falls in line with the rest.

Standouts: Blessings (feat. Drake), All Your Fault (feat. Kanye), Paradise (Extended), I Know (feat. Jhene Aiko), Deep (feat. Lil Wayne), Platinum & Wood

Vire

Dark Sky Paradise is as middling as every other BIg Sean release. None of em ever grabbed me enough to rave about, but they're not offensively bad either. Just kinda there with some good production. This falls in line with the rest.

Standouts: Blessings (feat. Drake), All Your Fault (feat. Kanye), Paradise (Extended), I Know (feat. Jhene Aiko), Deep (feat. Lil Wayne), Platinum & Wood

It's funny that the best tracks are the ones with the least amount of Big Sean in them. Bit of a shame that some of the beats and excellent production is wasted on such a shit tier rapper.

My Birthday Music from last night: Most of my favorites and turn ups

Sa-Roc & DJ Premier – The Celestials – Prem-Roc
Nitty Scott MC – U.F.O. (Unfiltered Offering) – Art of Chill (2014)
A-F-R-O - Mayhem til the AM - 2013
MC Melodee – Vibing High - Vibing High (2007)
Nefertiti – Don't Drink the Water – L.I.F.E. (Living in Fear of Extinction) (1993)
Moderator – Sealed with a Kiss – As the Lights Fade (2014)
Nikki Lynette – Crossroads ft. Krayzie Bone – Roses -N- Guns 2: The Badder Ass Mixtape That Totally Rocks (2012)
Bone Thugs -N- Harmony – Tha Crossroads – E1999 Eternal (1995)
Raisi K the Raisin Man – Jem Is the Name – The Lost Raisins Collection (2013)
Nneka – Walking (JonDoe Remix) feat. Jay Electronica & Nas – No Longer at Ease (2008)
Outkast – So Fresh, So Clean – Stankonia (2000)
Black Milk – Sunday's Best – No Poison No Paradise (2013)
Black Milk – Monday's Worst – No Poison No Paradise (2013)

Gavlyn – No Worries Ft. Destruct – From the Art (2013)
2Pac – I Get Around ft. Digital Underground – Greatest Hits (1998)
SkyBlew – Just Another Day – SkyBlew's Unmodern Life (2014)
Smilez & Southstar – Tell Me (Instrumental) – Tell Me [Single] (2002)
Kanye West – Spaceship – College Dropout (2004)
Vanilla – Cry – Soft Focus (2012)
Vanilla – Falling in Love Again – Sweet Talk (2014)
2Pac – Brenda's Got a Baby – Greatest Hits (1998)
Nas – Life's a Bitch ft. AZ – Illmatic (1994)
Nitty Scott MC – A Beautiful Struggle/Boombox – Boombox Diaries (2012)
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five – The Message – The Message (1982)
Nitty Scott MC – Bath Salt Freestyle
Outkast – SpottieOttieDopaliscious – Aquemini (1998)
Coolio – Fantastic Voyage – It Takes a Thief (1994)
Raekwon – Ice-Cream ft. Wu-Tang Clan - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (1995)
The Reminders – If You Didn't Know – Born Champions (2013)
DMX – How's It Goin Down ft. Faith Evans – It's Dark and Hell Is Hot (1998)
Khia – My Neck, My Back (Lick It) – Thug Misses (2002)
Akoko – The Yeah – Cataraps (2013)
Bambu – My Potnas – Sun of a Gun – (2013)
Sa-Roc – The Who? - Nebuchadnezzar (2014)
Sa-Roc – Lost Sunz – Nebuchadnezzar (2014)
Nas – If I Ruled the World feat. Lauryn Hill – It Was Written (1996)

Will link these later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom