• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

zIvv8bF.jpg

vinly game growin stronger, hoping to have a better player by next weekend or so

I think they have vapes that can use wax as well, just differentiates from the traditional herb use.

yeah that's exactly what i'm doing, supposed to last mad long that way

Turn up to "The Crossroads"

live in the midwest breh, you'll see it done, swear to god

ghost/bbng drip drip

awww yiss
impressions from a few tracks in

5NkGMTi.gif

Wife pregnant again. Pull out game on DMX levels here.

dead
also congrats apparently

the needledrop review killed my hype for it.

who talks like this
who thinks like this

This BBNGXGHOSTFACE drip has some clipping issues and all the tracks sound hot, but right off the bat it's way more soulful and groovy than 36 seasons was and so far Ghost has a verse on every track but two (Mono and Starks Reality). I'm keeping my LP preorder. It's pretty dope.

yup, biz kinda nailed it - if you fucked with 12 reasons & vibe Ghost, this shit is nice. you had to expect that from BBNG too.

God damn, RIP Footy-GAF. My favorite community.

damn, another gets NBA'd...no fun zon

IrishNinja

I need to get back on my vinyl game but that shit can be an expensive hobby and all my shit is back home. I think the last record I bought was Hell Hath No Fury

yeah, you can see most of mine are ragged cause a DJ buddy was going digital/tired of hauling around that shit, some need some cleaning up but i was just so happy to get em, even if like half are EP's/singles

also Clipse the GOAT

overcast

Love Goldlink's sound. There was a pretty good interview he did with some chick I can no longer find. I think he is confident going into his next project and he's gonna have some good producers.

IrishNinja

don't judge my struggle wrecker of nets

Love Goldlink's sound. There was a pretty good interview he did with some chick I can no longer find. I think he is confident going into his next project and he's gonna have some good producers.

that last album was my only exposure but i loved it, was meaning to ask PD or one of ya'll - there's tracks on that album that like early Cocaine 80's totally sound like they'd work on the radio, i think...why y'all think that never happens?

overcast

that last album was my only exposure but i loved it, was meaning to ask PD or one of ya'll - there's tracks on that album that like early Cocaine 80's totally sound like they'd work on the radio, i think...why y'all think that never happens?
Probably just a complete lack of promotion. I think his sound could play well enough though. Maybe too bouncy for the US?
Wassup is my shit and my friends vibe to it. Not sure I would play it in a bigger environment though.
Meh. Who gives a shit. He made a long video dealing with an issue that needs a lot of time. He is a dude who talks about music on the internet, of course he gets redundant and goes into length.

For the most part, the Ghostface/BBNG album works. Much of it is the kids showing off just how fucking talented they are on the boards, but Ghost does lace worthy (and in some cases, meaty) verses on all but 3 songs, which take up about 7 minutes of the total 33. The second instrumental though, Stark's Reality, was crying out for Ghostface bars. It's a real shame he didn't jump on that one.

Street Knowledge was the only joint that outright disappointed me. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it was a little boring, and sorely lacking the character of the rest of the album. Nuggets of Wisdom had a rare, introspective, almost solemn verse on his faith, though it only contained that one verse, which was a shame as the beat deserved more than what was effectively just an intro to the next song Food, where, in fairness, he drops some of his most humbling bars ever. Mentor-rap; has he been listening to Ka?

Those are my first listen impressions anyway. What's here is really good, but I wanted more.

As long as he keeps Kaytranada and Louie Lastic close, I'm happy.

edit: got my black armband on for Football-GAF *pours out pint*

injurai

Banned
^ btw 90TilInfinity

You repping that Articuno hasn't gone unnoticed. Best card of all time right there. My grandpa bought me a holographic one off a display shelf when I was a kid.

Fjordson

For the most part, the Ghostface/BBNG album works. Much of it is the kids showing off just how fucking talented they are on the boards, but Ghost does lace worthy (and in some cases, meaty) verses on all but 3 songs, which take up about 7 minutes of the total 33. The second instrumental though, Stark's Reality, was crying out for Ghostface bars. It's a real shame he didn't jump on that one.

Street Knowledge was the only joint that outright disappointed me. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it was a little boring, and sorely lacking the character of the rest of the album. Nuggets of Wisdom had a rare, introspective, almost solemn verse on his faith, though it only contained one verse, which was a shame as the beat deserved more than what was effectively just an intro to the next song Food, where he drops some of his most humbling bars ever. Mentor-rap; has he been listening to KA?

Those are my first listen impressions anyway. What's here is really good, but I wanted more.
Mostly agree with this, especially the bolded. I like it, just wish I liked it more considering my love for the parties involved. And I still feel like Ghost sounds a little bored here (and on 36 Seasons too) but maybe I'm being unfair to a dude who is 44 years old and has been doing this forever.

Either way, BBNG does some great fucking work here. Probably worth copping for that alone.

IrishNinja

^lookin good man, i wish my shit was nearly as well kept

cue wenis to pop in & put our shit to shame though

Street Knowledge was the only joint that outright disappointed me. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it was a little boring, and sorely lacking the character of the rest of the album. Nuggets of Wisdom had a rare, introspective, almost solemn verse on his faith, though it only contained that one verse, which was a shame as the beat deserved more than what was effectively just an intro to the next song Food, where, in fairness, he drops some of his most humbling bars ever. Mentor-rap; has he been listening to Ka?

solid review, was waiting on one to be posted - i played it twice today so far and yeah, that last line sums it up for me too. i'd really dig more like it.

I want to hear Nas on the next Run The Jewels

the don showed up with them recently so it's not beyond possibility but nas rapping over el-p's fire is something i just can't hype myself up for
i mean there's several tracks on RTJ2 that i'd love to hear that rapid fire shit, even some of the stuff he did with damien marley would work there

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is pretty cool: in light of Drake's album release, Huffington Post talks to Lyor Cohen, Mike Dean, B.Dot (of RapRadar), Mike Gruber (sp? of Billboard).

- Lyor doesn't think "no promo" is a thing, as it's simply traditional advertisement methods are antiquated, and 24/7 connection with fans and anticipation is the promotion
- Lyor thinks the fear of leaks is the biggest factor when it comes to this industry shift
- Lyor thinks the advantage of spontaneous releases is that you can "ring the bell" and have everyone focus on the music at once instead of wading through a bunch of opinions (sounds obvious but I never really looked at it like that until now)
- Lyor says you can't get to that point until you have built trust with fans over years, Beyonce's meticulousness is the reason why its possible
- Lyor thinks the more power the fans have, the healthier the industry

- Mike Dean argues that leaks devastate artists creativity when demos leak, later mentions artists always go back and change something to make it fresh for the art as opposed to solidifying sales, references the MBDTF situation
- Gruber seems to imply that Drake taking his shit off of Soundcloud was a message in the vein of "hey this could have been a mixtape, but now it's a release"
- Gruber mentions that releasing an album this way actually leaves little to (probably) nothing that the label has to do
- Mike Dean mentions it isn't really a joke when albums leak, artists including Madonna and Ye still get mad.
- B.Dot thinks this will be the new trend for A-List releases
- Mike Dean thinks the traditional 3-Month rollout is dead (Yeezus 2 surprise release?)
- Gruber "Instead of artists being subservient to the distribution networks, the distribution networks have to come to the artist," mentioning how radio didn't know what Beyonce song to played
- Mike Dean thinks these spontaneous releases will emphasize creating bodies of work and the people have control of what becomes a single as opposed to the suits having that decision
- The host mentions that promo tours caring more about stuff surrounding the artist kind of interferes with interest with the music
- Gruber paraphrasing Beyonce "The marketing behind a record seems to dictate more than the record itself" (I feel this is true and that I'm guilty of this influencing my opinion TBH)
- They discuss if Kendrick could do it with his new album and everyone agrees that Kendrick could push an album out spontaneously and do 300-400k
- Mike Dean is working with Vic Mensa

overcast

Thanks for the write up Enzo. Beyonce fucked the game up. Seems like this model would definitely only work with the artists that have significant public support and a strong fan base.
feelin hyped for Mr Wonderful, bumping blue chips & rare chandeliers today
Yeah man. Definitely feeling like it'll be one of his better releases too. PT3 is probably my most hyped "coming soon" album though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom