• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBK

Banned
here's why you haven't listened to much rae, because everything from 95-2009 is mostly bad. and everyone ignores it when they list him as one of the 'best members of the clan'.

fishscale is an overrated album, but even then I think it's probably a little better than CL2.

i don't know why you think Rae is technically in another tier than Ghostface. I'd go so far as to say Rae is a very one note rapper and writer. he's not really good for anything but the occasional drug tale. Ghost is a rare talent, he can be both extremely vivid and abstract, sometimes on the same album.

Bolded is definitely true, no debating that. It's obviously before my time, but most people don't ever bother listing them as quality rap albums let only Wu albums.

Don't know if that's a valid argument considering both rap about the same subject matter.

Rae was on another level rap wise than just about anyone on OB4CL...but Ghost still managed to hang with him on most tracks. In fact he probably had better verses on Cuban Linx if you think about it. Ironically Raekwon then came back on Ironman and stole the show.

That being said, Cuban Linx is clearly the best album amongst them. But outside of that? Ghost wins. The man has three classic albums - Ironman, Supreme Clientele, and Fishscale. Think about this: how many rappers have a classic or even super memorable/great album in the 90s and 00s? HHNF gets all the praise but I'll go to my grave arguing Fishscale was superior on every level.

Ghost: GOAT storyteller, one of the GOAT abstract lyricists, one of the GOAT personalities. 3 classic albums. MOST CONSISTENT rapper of all time.

(I really like Cuban Linx 2 and look forward to 3)

Esch

Banned
You know the one power duo album we needed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmRcGDWP46M

WzD6Psq.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ill settle for an actual collab track to start with. I mean we dont know if they even have chemistry.

Still want that Ross/Drake album tho
Nah they definitely have chemistry. Everything we've heard them both on is fire, and TBH the nature of their styles is meant to work alone.

I don't think the universe is ready for that album. It'd be too big, even if it's just Ye handling production.

Fjordson

They can call the album...DraYe Day. Or...Forgot About DraYe!
Dreezus Season? That's all I got. Or Dreezy.

Rae was on another level rap wise than just about anyone on OB4CL...but Ghost still managed to hang with him on most tracks. In fact he probably had better verses on Cuban Linx if you think about it. Ironically Raekwon then came back on Ironman and stole the show.

That being said, Cuban Linx is clearly the best album amongst them. But outside of that? Ghost wins. The man has three classic albums - Ironman, Supreme Clientele, and Fishscale. Think about this: how many rappers have a classic or even super memorable/great album in the 90s and 00s? HHNF gets all the praise but I'll go to my grave arguing Fishscale was superior on every level.

Ghost: GOAT storyteller, one of the GOAT abstract lyricists, one of the GOAT personalities. 3 classic albums. MOST CONSISTENT rapper of all time.

(I really like Cuban Linx 2 and look forward to 3)
No lies.

I love Rae, but he's put out more shit. Ghost > most.

Esch

Banned
Don't know if that's a valid argument considering both rap about the same subject matter.

ROie31k.png

No, breh. I'm gonna give you a pass on this, because clearly you haven't gone through both discographies. The only similarity between Ghost and Rae as writers and rappers is that they're both dusty hood dudes rapping about mostly hood shit. I'm sorry, Ghost covers a wider range of topics (love and relationships, stories, jealousy, insecurity... even fatherhood) more frequently than Rae. And more importantly, he does it with richer, wider, and more left-field language. He's got humor to boot as well, and self awareness. In comparison, Rae is just a high rent coke rapper.

and lol at PD calling Fishscale a classic. Most forced Wu-Tang album of all time. Shit has reused beats, ghost verses i suspect were written by trife, album is full of weed carrier wastemen. If you wanna go out of your way to give Ghost a 3rd classic, you can say the leaked version of Bulletproof Wallets.

The Sun opens Bulletproof Wallets with the best start you could possible imagine
I'll have to listen to both back to back to decide again. I know moooose hates it but Fishscale was my first Ghostface album.

Lmao holy shit this dude hates this guy.

Then comes the matter of Scott's two most (in)famous ad-libs: "Straight up!" and "La Flame," both of which you'll find in "Upper Echelon." Future has used "Straight up!" as an ad-lib that exact same way for years! He even put a song with that title on his first album! And "La Flame"—a nickname of sorts Scott has given himself—sounds suspiciously close to "La Flare," as in Gucci Mane La Flare, one of that fellow Atlanta rapper's longtime nicknames. (Gucci has both an old album and an old label called La Flare.)

Production-wise, too, Scott's music sticks to the basics, from Lex Luger/Young Chop clones to the darker atmospherics of Kanye and Cudi. And while Scott gets most of his props based on his production, in the liner notes he's usually listed only as a contributing hand alongside more established beat-makers. It's unclear whether Scott himself even has much to do with the sound his fans credit him with creating in the first place. Everything he's allegedly good at has either already been done (and done better) by much more talented artists or isn't even being done by Scott at all. The result is what you'd get if a Drake Pandora station achieved sentience.

I'm really meh on his origin. It's not like he wants to be the next thing based off his credentials. he dropped the fact that he basically fucked his parents over, if he got a solid job.. more power to him.

It's not where Iggy would ever tell you she is from australia or made a shitty pop tune then transitioned where she completely made up her sound off black folk.

Travis makes hits and is unapologetic in the fact that he made up his come up in unconventional means.

and his ad-libs? never mattered to me.

Esch

Banned
OB4CL2 isn't even considered good now? Amazing

it's good enough, i'd give it like a 7-8. there are some real good standouts on it like pyrex vision and all that. when that dropped in 09 there was a lot of overreaching praise for it though, just like fishscale in the 00s.

PBY

Banned
it's good enough, i'd give it like a 7. there are some real good standouts on it like pyrex vision and all that. when that dropped in 09 there was a lot of overreaching praise for it though, just like fishscale in the 00s.
New wu tho

Fevaweva

it's good enough, i'd give it like a 7-8. there are some real good standouts on it like pyrex vision and all that. when that dropped in 09 there was a lot of overreaching praise for it though, just like fishscale in the 00s.

What. Fishscale is a fantastic album, OB4CL 2 too.

IrishNinja

watch the throne

not even in teh top 10 disappointing duos list

blackout 2 was so bad

nah fam it had some really great tracks, like...lemme go hit wiki real quick, fuck

ghost>rae

no one honestly believes otherwise

OB4CL > Iron Man

Supreme Clientele > Rae's career

damn @ this truth bomb

Ain't really a competition at this point anymore. Ghost is the best. You know it, I know it, we all know it.

technical ability, writes the widest ranges of songs, best ear for production, consistently themes his projects cohesively.... best discography by large gap. He's the creme de la clan, and the only one in the running for GOAT.

i personally still put Meth up near that tier - he's had a few missteps but even his features are largely consistent. but yeah, if consistency's the word it's Ghost all day

people thought cuban 2 was good? when?

name a better Wu joint made in the aughts than house of flying daggers
ill wait

I never listened to Pretty Toney. Bout to jump in, wish me luck.

underrated album, some really great tracks on there fam
Holla is so great, love is agood closer too

shit yeah, nice

Only cause ODB smoked hisself to a crazy death

Return to the 36 is lowkey another absolute Wu classic

Busta and ODB was a match made in heaven. I just remembered how good that shit was.

agreed, how many tracks did we get from them? hoo hah remix, another one i wanna say?
also that luda/ODB coochie track was great too

Coochie was good.
phrasing
Actually I really enjoyed that Blakroc album, too bad they didn't do another one. I wonder if they had a bad experience with it. The bts videos were kind of awkward.

Esch

Banned
What. Fishscale is a fantastic album, OB4CL 2 too.
Nah not really. It has some cool standouts, Shakey for one, The Champ etc but like I said. Lots of uninspiring ghost verses, reused beats, weed carriers stinking up the joint, and when you take a step back and look at it, I don't think it really exceeds the sum of its parts from a sound or theme perspective.

Supreme Clientele is a fantastic album. Ironman is a fantastic album. Fishscale and CL2 are uneven projects with some good standouts you really like cause you miss when Wu Tang was good.

RBK

Banned
Shakey
The champ
Be easy
The skits

That's about it for fishscale, I loved that album in high school but it ain't aged well

Heart Street Directions is classic.

But no love for RAGU, Clipse of Doom, and Dogs of War? Like those tracks all above the ones listed here.

HiResDes

I'm not in the boat that thinks OB4CL is clearly better than Iron Man. I mean it's close, ya'll making it sound like one is clearly better and that Rae is better technically...Fuck outta here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom