• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
Vicious. Really wanting to see him fail. He's not my favorite thing, but his music is no way offensive to me. He plays up the whole shrooms things, has no voice but is able to reach some vision with autotune. Can't hate too hard, just a new sound in the field.

injurai

Banned
Fair enough, but you never know. OG Maco though, I want him to go far. Bunch of these new artist though, it's hard to imagine them moving past their initial gimmick and gaining consistent traction.

I don't like music for ironylol/fukkboy reasons so the appeal is pretty minimal, just like with Riff Raff. Dude is fucking trash.

it's not irony. i grew up a big fan of bands like depeche mode and new order and this dude sounds like the rnb/rap equivalent tbh. fat ronaldo doing his thing right now.

better to have a voice like this that stands out and gets equal ridicule/fascination than just be another fucking trey songz these days.

it's not irony. i grew up a big fan of bands like depeche mode and new order and this dude sounds like the rnb/rap equivalent tbh. fat ronaldo doing his thing right now.

better to have a voice like this that stands out and gets equal ridicule/fascination than just be another fucking trey songz these days.

I'm with you Disco, and I don't think being "different" or standing out has anything to do with it. Makonnen puts more thought and experimentation into his vocal approach than just about anyone in hiphop. Does it always work, no. But how many artists with the ability to drop, idk, I Don't Sell Molly No More and Tuesday basically whenever they want take the time to throw out a track like Too Much? Just playing with ideas, feeling around with how to incorporate his vibe in different ways, etc.

Keep in mind he has only released music for less than a year. There's going to be a point where dude has a really strong sense of himself and has developed all of these one-off vocal elements into real tools that can add to a track in small ways. And he's going to be a fucking monster.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i dunno how people can shit on i love macaroons. his sound is so different from everybody else in the game. it's like some 80s artist like boy george fucking stumbled in atlanta's trap scene lmao. and it actually works if you can get past how goofy it initially feels.
Different doesn't mean good. He's just not good.

injurai

Banned
Keep in mind he has only released music for less than a year. There's going to be a point where dude has a really strong sense of himself and has developed all of these one-off vocal elements into real tools that can add to a track in small ways. And he's going to be a fucking monster.

I feel like this is giving him too much credit. I don't want to see some orchestration of his vocal quirks. Tuesday his literally him on the refrain. Drake does all the heavy lifting. His voice is nothing but an instrument. It's an instrument that is a quirk at best.

Lord help me, I'm bobbin my head to fuckin Jaden Smith. How can his sound be real if our ears aren't?

I feel like this is giving him too much credit. I don't want to see some orchestration of his vocal quirks. Tuesday his literally him on the refrain. Drake does all the heavy lifting. His voice is nothing but an instrument. It's an instrument that is a quirk at best.

This. Ask a female who sings "Tuesday" and vast majority of them are going to say "Drake" they can't even pronounce Makonnen's name let alone remember it half the time.

DominoKid

What heavy lifting is Drake doing. All he did is plug in some different words to the melody makonnen made. He couldnt come up with that shit by himself

Maccondordian is a fuckboy. In The Bity should have been the end of his chapter. That's the type of music slaves got beat to, I cant fuck with it. Especially not in February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKmbySC3V6U

zIESfoh.png

DED

Gonna be a sad day for Sean when his album barely sells 80K and Drake does 500k off a mixtape

I have literally zero idea how this relates to whether or not Makonnen is dope but the casual dismissal of women as hiphop fans is p. spectacular

Okay.

Ask the average dude who sings "Tuesday" and they will probably tell you Drake. Dudes don't even know how to pronounce Makkonen's name.

I mentioned females not because I'm dismissing them, but because females are his primary demographics much like Drake (based on his EP and the song Tuesday).

If your primary demographics only know of your song because another artist that's on it. You're going to have to work on that.

On the question if he's dope or not...I'd rather listen to a Taylor Swift self produced drill album with Kim Kardashian and Amber Rose singin the hooks.

Maccondordian is a fuckboy. In The Bity should have been the end of his chapter. That's the type of music slaves got beat to, I cant fuck with it. Especially not in February.

Had to look up this song after the bold, howlin when I heard it!

Okay.

Ask the average dude who sings "Tuesday" and they will probably tell you Drake. Dudes don't even know how to pronounce Makkonen's name.

I mentioned females not because I'm dismissing them, but because females are his primary demographics much like Drake (based on his EP and the song Tuesday).

If your primary demographics only know of your song because another artist that's on it. You're going to have to work on that.

This feels like a byproduct of 90s/00s era sales that refuses to die. Makonnen doesn't need to do Drake-feature numbers. If he fleshes out his persona more and the awful records wave rises a bit dude will be living a comfortable life until he throws in the towel. Have your own fanbase, larger label/affiliation fanbase, jump on features, write hooks...he's like a recipe for success, assuming he doesn't fuck it up for himself.

There aren't too many dudes who should be positioning themselves for anything more than that imo.

On the question if he's dope or not...I'd rather listen to a Taylor Swift self produced drill album with Kim Kardashian and Amber Rose singin the hooks.

Damn man you really hate women.

This feels like a byproduct of 90s/00s era sales that refuses to die. Makonnen doesn't need to do Drake-feature numbers. If he fleshes out his persona more and the awful records wave rises a bit dude will be living a comfortable life until he throws in the towel. Have your own fanbase, larger label/affiliation fanbase, jump on features, write hooks...he's like a recipe for success, assuming he doesn't fuck it up for himself.

There aren't too many dudes who should be positioning themselves for anything more than that imo.

*Zzzzz* his fanbase is nearly nonexistent if his youtube channel is anything to go by. Tuesday got crazy numbers, everything else is ZzzzZ.

Hope it works out for the kid. Real talk.

Damn man you really hate women.

Clearly. Makkonen fans stay moist I see.

Attaching himself to Miley Cyrus was a boss move on so many level. Now everyone and their mom wants a Mike Will beat.

He's going to be around for a very long time.

Nearly every song on Dark Sky sounds the same This dude almost never switches up the flow. He has some bars here and there, but his charisma on the mic isnt good enough to sustain a full length album. Shit is blander than Tetsuo & Youth.
Anyway lttp but Aubreys latest is sonically amazing. Like the beats man,dam. Can't knock his hustle at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom