• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

J Cole the GOAT middling rapper, the king of average. Everything about this dude is perfectly neutral, it's almost like he's the very personification of middle class life. Never before has there been a rapper who can so perfectly capture the steady neutrality of this life like this man. His entire career is like a day where you wake up in a queen sized bed, go to high school and get a b on a test, maybe eat at Chipotle for lunch, go play lacrosse for your 3A team after school, come home and eat a family dinner, do your homework, talk to your nice but somewhat boring girlfriend on the phone about going to the mall on the weekend to see ___________ (blockbuster here) and go to sleep before 12.

I bet he's happy though.

good lord

Esch

Banned
And the thing about J. Tryptophan's most ardent supporters is; if you mention that you think he's too safe or boilerplate they fly off the handle like you're killing rap, letting loose some limpdick shit like "oh okay, well you don't like him cause he's not gangster shit" or, "you only like _____ music". Nah. This guy J. Jigglypuff doesn't even really touch that well on the parts of suburbia that are interesting; the creep of gentrification, interactions with the less economically fortunate, the moments where you realize that even though you have some money you're still colored, the nihilism that comes from a completely ordered, controlled, preordained life etc etc.

Just average. Mildly provocative. Like a stay at home mother's ketchup based meatloaf or sex with a girl you don't really like, that doesn't really like you.

Just average. Mildly provocative. Like a stay at home mother's ketchup based meatloaf or sex with a girl you don't really like, that doesn't really like you.

it's true
now do I keep giving him chances to change? yes.
but am i surprised when he doesn't? not at all

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
ok I am going to give this cole album a listen and get back to ya'll. I never been a fan but its cold outside so cole world music might work right now

And the thing about J. Tryptophan's most ardent supporters is; if you mention that you think he's too safe or boilerplate they fly off the handle like you're killing rap, letting loose some limpdick shit like "oh okay, well you don't like him cause he's not gangster shit" or, "you only like _____ music". Nah. This guy J. Jigglypuff doesn't even really touch that well on the parts of suburbia that are interesting; the creep of gentrification, interactions with the less economically fortunate, the moments where you realize that even though you have some money you're still colored, the nihilism that comes from a completely ordered, controlled, preordained life etc etc.

Goddamn. I think it's funny Cole always brags about being Carolina's finest. The bar ain't high for that shit

Nibel

J Cole the GOAT middling rapper, the king of average. Everything about this dude is perfectly neutral, it's almost like he's the very personification of middle class life. Never before has there been a rapper who can so perfectly capture the steady neutrality of this life like this man. His entire career is like a day where you wake up in a queen sized bed, go to high school and get a b on a test, maybe eat at Chipotle for lunch, go play lacrosse for your 3A team after school, come home and eat a family dinner, do your homework, talk to your nice but somewhat boring girlfriend on the phone about going to the mall on the weekend to see ___________ (blockbuster here) and go to sleep before 12.

I bet he's happy though.

The fuuuuuuuuuuck
sabuuobvn.png

TBH, those 4 tracks are better than the entirety of PND2 in my opinion. Smooth, good shit.

nah there were a few standouts
FWU, East Liberty, Muse, even Recognize.
I do agree that these new songs should've definitely replaced some songs on PND2 though

IrishNinja

DD is ending soon breh at least we had over 40 issues though.

fuuuuu for real? i totally missed this somehow, fuck. DD's one of my top characters, and ive loved this team - Waid's about the only dude that's balanced the darkness with some lighthearted shit too, this sucks.
and yeah, Ellis gonna Ellis. i remember when i thought he'd return to Fell.

Musical Taste:
(some excellent choices)

welcome m'man

Cole lost me around Friday Night Lights and this is no different. Feels very forgettable, very aimless, very flat. Fire Squad is the only track I didn't want to skip halfway through, the only track that had the kind of feel and tempo I want from Cole (even though that track has some o___0 tier bars)

nahh/10

I bet he's happy though.

jesus christ aint even listened to it yet but my preconceived notions are really on blast here

Anduron

New Cole is his best stuff in a while. I'm glad he didn't go in that castle music direction. The whole album is about finding happiness in your lane which is a better message than whatever he was talking about in his first two.

Fjordson

Treading old ground here, but yeah Forest Hills is fine. It's not bad at best. I like it a little more than Born Sinner I guess.

I really love the beat on "Wet Dreamz", but the lyrics are scust

just pressed play
great beat
guessing self produced?
man i really wish we could get that Cole/Kendrick album ala PRhyme

edit: oh fuck just realized what he's actually rapping about....goddamnit Cole wtf

Will listen tonight. As someone who loved and still enjoys his mixtapes but disliked the album I still think Cole has potential. The problem is that he comes off more like a fan than an artist. There's something very meta and vicarious about his persona. It's as if we know more about his "real rap" credentials (Nas stan, Pac lover, Hov fan, etc) than him as a person. It often seems like he's sticking to a script he wrote as a teenage rap nerd. "I'm gonna be a rapper producer like Kanye, my first two albums will be my complete creation...and on my third I'll branch out but not sell out - and to make this clear I'll drop the album with no promo or guest appearances like Biggie's third album was supposed to be."

Who is Cole? Is he just a college graduate trying to do right with his girl despite all the dumb bitches/hos trying to get in the way? Dude's mom was a drug addict, he's mixed, he grew up poor-ish for awhile...he has quite an interesting life that SHOULD result in interesting music. Which goes back to the meta thing. Is this like Pac getting stuck playing a role, but in this case Cole is just playing...a boring, judgmental college grad trying to keep hos off his dick? It doesn't seem really interesting to me.

We have a general idea of who Kendrick is. Even Drake gives deep glimpses into his personal life, background, etc. Who is Cole?

fuuuuu for real? i totally missed this somehow, fuck. DD's one of my top characters, and ive loved this team - Waid's about the only dude that's balanced the darkness with some lighthearted shit too, this sucks.
and yeah, Ellis gonna Ellis. i remember when i thought he'd return to Fell.

Yeah man it's crazy looking at DD's catalog he has the best writers and artists in comics Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Maleev,Waid, Samnee, Marcos Martin and Rivera.

Finished the first play through.

It was kinda lukewarm, fell off a bit for the last couple songs I feel.. Will give it more listens tbh.

First Week:

Shady XV - 137,000

Rick Ross - 70,000

Wowwwww

Way less for shady xv than I expected. So Q won 2014?

Cole bout to snatch it up tbh

Tyler talking that RNS on Facebook:

all you negative muthafuckas should look at me as inspiration. im 23 fucking years old and built a fucking monster and im not ever gonna fucking land. stop being scary and neagtive and start believing in yourself and stop living for all these other fucking idiots. some of yall should put that fucking blunt down and go do what the fuck you know you need to do. do it for yourself, i believe in everyone because i believe in myself. fuck reaching for the stars, thats setting a limit, fuck those. some of you dont like yourself. some of you arent comfortable with yourself. thats so fucking sad. stop that shit. but some of you cant. thats why yall ask for likes on instagram and shit, cause yall self esteem so fucking low. cut that shit out and start liking yourself. when that happens, you will start trusting yourself, then you trust your ideas, then you fucking become that person you really want to be. if you dont have any confidence let me be your fucking confidence. im gonna be a fucking great years from now and i fully believe that and fully do not care about ANYONES opinion on why im not because i KNOW. start smiling more and start hanging around people that makes you feel good or make you want to be better. stop associating with LOSERS. if a nigga only hits you up to smoke or drink or turn up and have nothing else to offer to get you where ever you think about being when you are alone daydreaming THEN GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM THEM. time is going by soooo fast and before you know it you;re gonna be on your deathbed telling stories about how much you sucked and how you regret not living the life you wanted to live, loving the people you wanted to love, taking the chances you wanted to take. THERE ARE NO RULES, FUCK THE RULES. GO. FIND YOUR WINGS. I FOUND MY WINGS AND IM STILL FLYING AND I WILL NEVER EVER LAND. but some of you have to find yourself ya know. i knew the who i was at like age 10. i knew the music i loved the colors i knew what i was into. most of you listen to what ever is hot or what your friends like, yall dress how everyone else dress, yall do what everyone else do. FUCKING STOP BEING A FUCKING FOLLOWER. read the comments, the weak ass follower that will never make a difference ever cause they fucking SUCK are gonna say some shit like " easier said than done" or " you are a hyporcrite" or " you changed" or some stupid shit like that, cause they are most like the weak fuck im talking about and cant cope with it, cause they are scared. DONT BE SCARED. idk why im typing this. im on a lake on vacation just drawing and listening to music ( been playing CC The World for like 6 hours) and just realized oh wow, im on a vacation for no reason, this is crazy, ive dreamed of this, how did i get this far, oh yeah, by trusting myself and not following that path my mom wanted me to go, and surround myself with other people that wanted more outta like and trust my wild ideas, and i put my art out and people liked it and trusted me, and now im here. i guess what im trying to say is i want everyone to win. i want everyone to smile, i want everyone to be in a good mood and as annoying and always jumping around like me cause im so fucking happy and grateful, but i realize niggas is scared. or who knows, maybe im just a special one. i dont know anything. im in the woods and i really want to meet a moose in person if i see one im gonna get a photo hahahahahaha oh and RACISM IS FUCKING WEAK AS FUCK anti golf boys and oh this saturday another F/W drop from GOLF. love you, today i want you to find your wings.

/HUGEFUCKINGWALLOFTEXT

good read tho. Tyler really isn't the huge jackass he makes himself out to be.

mooooose

Fader and Hudson Mohawke did some collab with a bunch of rappers:

It's 30 rappers over the same beats, I guess making one super long song.

So far they've released:

Pusha T
Bryant Dope
Retch
Nipsey Hussle
Problem
Danny Brown

It's also the same beat that Action Bronson rapped over and Hudson Mohawke played at a show a few months ago.

In the YouTube description there are more rappers listed in the tags:

Young Thug
Killer Mike
Two-9
Cyhi Da Prynce
SL Jones
Raekwon
Prodigy
Action Bronson
Bodega Bams
Flatbush Zombies

Some dope people in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0eBBzExC5g

overcast

That sounds pretty cool Moose.

That Action/Danny track is dope as hell brehs. Both go in. Alc needs to be on both of their albums.

DominoKid

that PND2 is barely hiphop but it's definitely in my top 10 of the year. i fuck w/ that heavily.

Will listen tonight. As someone who loved and still enjoys his mixtapes but disliked the album I still think Cole has potential. The problem is that he comes off more like a fan than an artist. There's something very meta and vicarious about his persona. It's as if we know more about his "real rap" credentials (Nas stan, Pac lover, Hov fan, etc) than him as a person. It often seems like he's sticking to a script he wrote as a teenage rap nerd. "I'm gonna be a rapper producer like Kanye, my first two albums will be my complete creation...and on my third I'll branch out but not sell out - and to make this clear I'll drop the album with no promo or guest appearances like Biggie's third album was supposed to be."

Who is Cole? Is he just a college graduate trying to do right with his girl despite all the dumb bitches/hos trying to get in the way? Dude's mom was a drug addict, he's mixed, he grew up poor-ish for awhile...he has quite an interesting life that SHOULD result in interesting music. Which goes back to the meta thing. Is this like Pac getting stuck playing a role, but in this case Cole is just playing...a boring, judgmental college grad trying to keep hos off his dick? It doesn't seem really interesting to me.

We have a general idea of who Kendrick is. Even Drake gives deep glimpses into his personal life, background, etc. Who is Cole?

Cole tells us a lot about his life. He just tells us about it on some "this is what happened" shit. Not about how it affected him or the people around him but just the bare facts. I don't think that shit really shaped the person he grew up to become. In one way I bet out of all the major rappers, he's probably more pleased with himself than any of his competition is about themselves.

Like I think he looks back at his first 2 albums like "man IDK why these people are hating on me, calling me boring. this shit is fire. i'm gonna give em another one."

Whereas a Drake or a Ye or a Kendrick is looking back at their last album like "I need to do better" even if that shit was already dope.

DominoKid

this motherfucker rapping about his first piece of pussy and boners. where are the "no" men in his camp to nix this stupid shit.

edit: the beat was cool though.

agree, and i think KRIT feels the same way.

btw doesn't this really display how low the talent threshold really is, and deliver an L to the "GKMC is gonna make people step their game up" crowd? You can't step your game up if you're just not that good. Tim Tebow worked his ass off nonstop while in the NFL...still sucked. Trying hard doesn't really mean much in fields that demand results,

I've listened to half of KRIT's album and really don't feel like continuing. Born Sinner was the definition of average at best. NWTS was a middling album full of hurt feelings. These guys just aren't that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom