• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

i've never heard of yakuza before and never played a final fantasy game in my life

Fuck with Yakuza breh, it's basically fucking dudes up on the street beat em up style with a dope storyline and shenmue-esque weird ass daily life elements. They have a ton of shit packed into those games.

DominoKid

my favourite game of all time is FFVII

thats all I'm saying

Y4WQ1Ze.gif

Be a Square stan breh. Stan for a company with nothing but contempt and scorn for their fanbase.

studyguy

Playing XIV as we speak, idgaf
Shit's dope.

Yakuza was the clear take away from the show for me tho.
Only took Sega an entire generation to learn people wanna play their shit.

IrishNinja

my favourite game of all time is FFVII

somehow i could've guessed this

i've never heard of yakuza

live better bruh

Fuck with Yakuza breh, it's basically fucking dudes up on the street beat em up style with a dope storyline and shenmue-esque weird ass daily life elements. They have a ton of shit packed into those games.

seriously, and 5 has like crazy taxi shit, hunting, baseball, rhythm shit, so much madness about

I wish macca did gifs. Because Aeris' remake face on the mag with the PSX face on the body at the door would be amazing

god this would be amazing

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It was a really well executed troll IMO.

- It's a port of a (PC) port
- RELIVE BLAH BLAH BLAH, all this old footage and you just keep waiting for it to switch to new like Halo Anniversary or something and it never does
- Even in his preamble he mentions how you can basically play the entire thing for free because someone remade the entire game in LBP in the time Squeenix spent being incompetent
- The best part? Because it's FFVII you pretty much know people will react positively. Just like those fuckers bought up all the limited edition soda and all the other shit they squeezed out of the IP.

Esch

Banned
I mean though, FF7 was just a decent game. That's all it was. Pretty standard combat. Some good minigames and optional bosses, but overall the only reason it's so loved / sold so much is cause it felt like such a big bump up in presentation at the time and for the existential story that cuts right to the heart of every angsty teen. TBH, most of the environments are really bland looking as far as art too, and it stayed the same way whenever they tried to sell spinoffs, movies, etc to CountGoofules throughout the years.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I mean though, FF7 was just a decent game. That's all it was. Pretty standard combat. Some good minigames and optional bosses, but overall the only reason it's so loved / sold so much is cause it felt like such a big bump up in presentation at the time and for the existential story that cuts right to the heart of every angsty teen. TBH, most of the environments are really bland looking as far as art too, and it stayed the same way whenever they tried to sell spinoffs, movies, etc to CountGoofules throughout the years.

You were doing so good, too. This is your Kingdom Come of posts. People are just going to try to move forward and pretend this shit never existed.

Esch

Banned
You were doing so good, too. This is your Kingdom Come of posts. People are just going to try to move forward and pretend this shit never existed.

I'm hardly the only person in the world who thinks ff7 is a bland, above average game with some bright spots. Have you replayed it in the past couple years? I'd take 4, 6, 10, 12, Tactics etc over it anyday.

I might even say X-2 fanservice aside is a more fun game to actually play with the class system. Call this post Blueprint 3 if you want.

IrishNinja

he's not wrong: FF VII was a fucking landmark moment for CG & presentation at the time, but everything else - plot, character, OST etc - felt like a step back from VI, to be honest. it was a huge deal at the time & no one can take from that, but when most of what you had was for show, it's gonna age you

let's see how many people check for cameron's Avatar a decade from now

I'd take 4, 6, 10, 12, Tactics etc over it anyday.

I might even say X-2 fanservice aside is a more fun game to actually play with the class system. Call this post Blueprint 3 if you want.

dat unexpected FF taste
this is like me puttin Esh onto the best hidden spices right here

WanderingWind

I'm hardly the only person in the world who thinks ff7 is a bland, above average game with some bright spots. Have you replayed it in the past couple years? I'd take 4, 6, 10, 12, Tactics etc over it anyday.

You're never the only person to have any opinion. Everything has haters, that's just the way it is. But when you say FFVII has dull environments, that's some crazy shit. Of all the legit criticisms you can have, that's not even in the top 40. That and the music are basically milestones in gaming. You're right about the angsty fish-in-a-barrel story, but dull environments? That's just some off the wall shit.

EDIT: And X was straight garbage, through and through. Beginning of the end of the company. VI GOAT still.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Leave Esch alone y'all.

Fams senses have been scrambled from all that Skyrim combat he's had to endure.

Let the healing begin.

Esch

Banned
he's not wrong: FF VII was a fucking landmark moment for CG & presentation at the time, but everything else - plot, character, OST etc - felt like a step back from VI, to be honest. it was a huge deal at the time & no one can take from that, but when most of what you had was for show, it's gonna age you
The thing is, when FFVII does get it right it really nails it. Like; if we're going to be honest I think the character designs are really good and have weathered for a reason. It's the environments that are terrible and boring except dat golden saucer that make the game whatever to play through. The OST is hit or miss. When it hits, it's really good (great battle theme, shinra reactor etc).

dat unexpected FF taste
this is like me puttin Esh onto the best hidden spices right here
My man.

FFX was great; story resolution aside. Fun, satisfying combat, exploration, great art style, environments. I loved the summon and crafting systems. Even the character designs are good. One of the last good things square did along with kingdom hearts 1.

Wait Esch is right about X-2 tho. That's actually an incredibly underrated game. Gameplay wise it is honestly some of the most fun I have had with an rpg

IrishNinja

yeah i did find X kinda forgettable...inoffensive, but didn't stay with me. oddest choice for an HD remake but it was prolly easiest & sold well for a nearly year-1 PS2 title as well

i mean i see esh's reasons but lack of an overworld, some forgettable characters (always an issue, never moreso than VIII though)...i mostly wanted to stay for Auron personally. heard awesome things about X2 but never got around to it...still FF X's OST is pretty tight

WanderingWind

Now we talking shit about the soundtrack? lol. Okay. Forgot y'all were addicted to all fuckery all the time in here.

DominoKid

You're never the only person to have any opinion. Everything has haters, that's just the way it is. But when you say FFVII has dull environments, that's some crazy shit. Of all the legit criticisms you can have, that's not even in the top 40. That and the music are basically milestones in gaming. You're right about the angsty fish-in-a-barrel story, but dull environments? That's just some off the wall shit.

EDIT: And X was straight garbage, through and through. Beginning of the end of the company. VI GOAT still.

Breh what? X is awesome.

Now we talking shit about the soundtrack? lol. Okay. Forgot y'all were addicted to all fuckery all the time in here.

talk to em fam. FFVII OST is :whew:.

I think the FF series probably has the best soundtracks in gaming.. that and probably Street fighter. no bias, breh

FFX was great tho.

Esch

Banned
X's only major failing besides that stupid ending is some aspects of the sphere grid. It makes it too difficult for you to customize the characters on replays. The rare spheres that let you jump across the grid and learn skills other characters are too hard to find/farm. But then again this is a japanese game, and they prefer to focus on 'depth' rather than giving you freedom and 'breadth.'

Blitzball still the goat minigame.

Kimahri sucks.

DominoKid

X's only major failing besides that stupid ending is some aspects of the sphere grid. It makes it too difficult for you to customize the characters on replays. The rare spheres that let you jump across the grid and learn skills other characters are too hard to find/farm. But then again this is a japanese game, and they prefer to focus on 'depth' rather than giving you freedom and 'breadth.'

Kimahri sucks.

All facts.

I used Kimahri the least. Then i had to struggle through that segment where you can only used Kimahri. :mjcry

Esch

Banned
Another arguable flaw : some of the quests they put you up to to unlock final weapons for each character were fucking nuts. Like dodging lightning 200 times for Lulu. What the hell? But then again like I said you had that crafting system that let you make plenty of great weapons as good, better, or maybe a touch worse than those.

GOAT gimmick: summoning yojimbo and splashing that cash. if you got him at the right time / grind he was incredible.

FFX is still a great game though.

Esch

Banned
yeah i did find X kinda forgettable...inoffensive, but didn't stay with me. oddest choice for an HD remake but it was prolly easiest & sold well for a nearly year-1 PS2 title as well

i mean i see esh's reasons but lack of an overworld, some forgettable characters (always an issue, never moreso than VIII though)...i mostly wanted to stay for Auron personally. heard awesome things about X2 but never got around to it...still FF X's OST is pretty tight

Final Fantasy overworlds generally suck ass though imo. Low levels of interactivity, mediocre visual detail, meh to borderline nonexistent NPC interaction. The whole point of one is to give you a fluid world to interact and explore and they never deliver on that. Like, they might as well not even try, which is why I like X. The linearity makes it a real focused experience for the most part.

IrishNinja

hahaha fuck yeah, the lightning dodging shit can suck my dick

Nah, blitzball is ass I'm sorry

i felt this way too, but i was told i you don't get some ability early on it's brutal, supposed to be an absolute blast if you get into it though

Final Fantasy overworlds generally suck ass though imo. Low levels of interactivity, mediocre visual detail, meh to borderline nonexistent NPC interaction. The whole point of one is to give you a fluid world to interact and explore and they never deliver on that. Like, they might as well not even try, which is why I like X. The linearity makes it a real focused experience for the most part.

yeah, as a zelda fan this crosses over for me - the transition from classic 2 to 3D broke the pacing in many places & left barren spots that do nothing to reward your exploration, much less systems in place for such rewards most times anyway. the last FF overworld i found that begged to be explored was easily XII, and when you sort out that it's all connected (and how to not get slaughtered by elementals) i think it's brilliant

DominoKid

Based on what? The game was a overly linear mess with first gen voice acting and some of the worst characters in the series. It wasn't as bad as say, 13, but it's definitely in the bottom five of the numbered, non-MMOs.

13 is the overlinear mess. 10 was fine. Great gameplay. So many memorable sequences. Great soundtrack. Shit is dope breh. Its one of the better entries in the series.

Tokubetsu

Esch bringing up flashback horror stories of 12 year old toku doing that chocobo race shit for Tidus' legendary sword.

Real talk though, I cried at the end of FFX. Not afraid to admit that shit.

CRS

Kimahri sucks.

The re-release has the Expert Mode available right off the bat so you can use the Expert Sphere Grid. It's a lot more open and you aren't bounded to just that specific characters path. You can venture off into other characters' abilities right from the very beginning.

All facts.

I used Kimahri the least. Then i had to struggle through that segment where you can only used Kimahri. :mjcry

Wasn't that bad. The Ronso scales to your stats. You just weren't very good. :trollbron:

First time playing FFX, I got every legendary weapon except for Lulu. Fuck that shit. I will hate it till the day I die.

Esch bringing up flashback horror stories of 12 year old toku doing that chocobo race shit for Tidus' legendary sword.

Real talk though, I cried at the end of FFX. Not afraid to admit that shit.

Man I hated that shit so much. I got the Remaster for FFX and still couldn't do it ;_;

cousin came over and beat that chocobo race in like 4 tries

Esch

Banned
Blitzball is hard af in the beginning but you just have to recruit the right guy. That temple guard for 5000 bucks will see you through all the shitty hard parts with his tackle ability. And then Tidus will become your star player.

CRS

Blitzball is hard af in the beginning but you just have to recruit the right guy. That temple guard for 5000 bucks will see you through all the shitty hard parts with his tackle ability. And then Tidus will become your star player.

Brother was my dude for most of my Blitzball games (just to get Wakka's Legendary and Abilities)

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
damn, that Uncharted 4 gameplay was nice as hell. game still has a year of development left too.

finally listened to a HQ version of 36 Seasons. one of my favorite projects of the year, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom