• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Lately I'm really into Sonya EP - Pollari, Lil Boat - Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi Vert vs. The World. Any recommendations that I might also enjoy?

Barter 6 is very solid too. SS1&2 each contain several stellar tracks and are mostly solid.
I couldn't really get into most of his older catalog. But he has several loose tracks that are really great too.
Good taste breh check out Playboi Carti, Uzi last tape, Key! Keyonce and Screaming Dreams Prelude, Keith Spacebar STACY, Cyrax Lone Bwoi

Fjordson

Lately I'm really into Sonya EP - Pollari, Lil Boat - Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi Vert vs. The World. Any recommendations that I might also enjoy?

Barter 6 is very solid too. SS1&2 each contain several stellar tracks and are mostly solid.
I couldn't really get into most of his older catalog. But he has several loose tracks that are really great too.
Check out Hotel Paranoia by Jazz Cartier. Not quite as good as the Pollari or SS3, but still nice.

Been sleeping on your recs till I start to snore.
d72b5af7ae4ccef54299205f3e1015ed_8528.gif

I mean, we're gonna have "Best albums of the year so far" discussions halfway through the year like always, but no one's gonna put the effort into organizing a list and making a thread like you did, let's be honest.

I mean unless you think you lost your touch. In that case someone here can probably do the rap ups better anyway cause really https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyyLcQyPiz8

Is this working?

des pls

PBY

Banned
Made a thread about Irv Gotti's new show which sounds dope.

A$AP Ferg - FLEM. when a song you made in the last few days is better than everything you've worked on for months for your album lmao

Audio Push ft. Arsonal - Murda (Freestyle). Ars kind of killed this.

Fetty Wap - Wake Up.
Fetty Wap - My Environment.

Juicy J & Wiz Khalifa ft. Liam Payne - Clean Draws. This is aight.

There were like a trillion songs dropped yesterday for 4/20 that were garbage, and Wiz was on like half of them.
Yeah what the fuck at this ASAP ferg lol

Koozek

Yo, my recent playlist is basically only Des recs. Liking Sonya more and more. Lil Boat is a bit of a mixed bag, dope production, but his singing is pretty grating at parts.

But, man, these recent albums, including the new Azizi, really sound like they're produced by young cats who grew up with JRPGs/90's games, I swear. Loving this melting pot of sounds in Hip Hop, right now. I honestly think we're in a new golden age. We're blessed, brehs
BcpKZjv.png

Fjordson

http://audiojams.net/track/post-malone---go-flex-39

Post Malone single

Pretty sure if this gets push/radio burn, this will be the anthem of the summer
This ain't bad. It's not White Iverson, but it's catchy.

Y'all think Views can do a milli in a week? I think it might off the hype/crushing singles over the past few years alone.
I'm probably way off here and completely out of touch with radio and whatnot, but it seems like the hype is slightly low by Drake's standards. I dunno, might just be me. None of the Views singles have gotten me too excited.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I might skim through Ferg's album when it hits apple music, but after the Skrillex track, and then the disgusting club track with Missy, I'm not really looking forward to it. Those two tracks were seriously offensive to my ears.

Trap Lord now looks like an anomaly in his body of work. Before it, people generally hated him. And then after it, the mixtape kinda sucked, and now the sophmore album is looking even worse. Oh well, at least we got TL and Rocky's mixtape out of the Mob.

The good ferg songs (New Level, Let it Bang, and FLEM) sound really great. The other ones are super trash. I figure this album will be worth listening to but ultimately, I'll save a few tracks and discard the rest on the computer. It's not going to be a cohesive project that I'll enjoy.

Koozek

vheiVi.gif

T-Pain albums honestly are underrated. Some really fun production work and songwriting by him on Epiphany and Thr33 Ringz.

Courage

Flem ain't even on the album, smh.

Psycho, Let It Bang, New Level, Uzi Gang are the only keepers. Even worse than Rocky's album from last year.

I've been fiending to hear Psycho in full ever since the Let It Bang video dropped. Sounds like the album is trash but I'm still going to check it out.

I just realized TLOP and SS3 are gonna make it really hard to tolerate listening to bad music this year. I listen to both nearly daily so the transition of going from that to say...Elzhi's recent album is jarring. I hope Ferg doesn't give me that feeling too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is fire, nothing really beats Pt.2 tho

It's easy to forget about T-Pain but he comes through every other year with some heat. Was pimping Up Down pretty heavy all those years ago and it didn't make a dent on GAF but that shit is still fire to this day. One of the best Mustard joints ever for sure.

Been also listening to the We Takin Ova Remix from all those years ago and that's probably the best remix he's been a part of, he went off.

Flem ain't even on the album, smh.

Psycho, Let It Bang, New Level, Uzi Gang are the only keepers. Even worse than Rocky's album from last year.
Well yeah, Rocky's album had like 7 keepers, which is far above the rap release mean.

Dereck

Haven't heard the album yet, but this guy goes in.

This is one of the most uncreative, terrible, confusing records that I’ve heard in a long time. “Confusing?” you might ask. This record is incredibly confusing. Why is it that, ASAP Ferg, a guy who’s last record apparently only contained trap music, a guy who built himself a fan base because of that trap music, would turn around and release an incredibly poppy record (I elaborate on this later in the review)? Why does the production on here fucking suck? Ferg, you’re a MAJOR LABEL RAPPER. You have so many great and talented producers at your disposal. And you settle for this? Jesus christ. “But, Matthew, what if Ferg’s evolving? Creative people need to change their sound.” False. 1. Ferg isn’t evolving, he’s regressing and 2. Ferg, demonstrated by this record, is barely creative, if at all.

What makes me so sure of that? New Level, ladies and gentleman. One of the least creative songs of 2016. “But the b-the beat’s okay.” Yeah, I suppose it is. I mean, it sounds like a fucking Halloween theme song, sure, but it’s okay. But everything else, man. Notice how Ferg barely (if at all, really don’t wanna listen again to find out) switches up his flow throughout the WHOLE song? Oh, and, notice how that flow is incredibly basic and sounds like something that an inexperienced rapper would rap (which is what Ferg is)? And, not only is his rapping amateur, but the hook fucking sucks too, being one of the laziest things I’ve ever heard. And I’m not even exaggerating. Please, listen for yourself. It’s HORRIBLE. All he does is say “I’m on a new level” in a monotone tone. No variation, nothing. God damn it Ferg.

Alright, I’m gonna calm down. At this point your probably expecting me to give this record a 0.5 but that’s not the case. I’d probably give it a 1.5. It has a few redeeming factors. Beautiful People is good, and I’d even go as far as calling it great if it wasn’t for that completely out-of-place “narration” section. Look, I know, it fits the theme, having someone during a soul song narrate why beautifulness is an inside thing makes sense, but it just…doesn’t work. It “breaks” the flow of the song and sounds awkward. Other than that though, the song’s pretty good! I really like the beat (the choirs are pretty beautiful) and the drums are pretty great (I love when they kick in.) And, surprise of the century, Ferg’s rapping is actually tolerable here and fits the beat well. It’s almost as if he decided to try for once. Another (and I’d go as far as saying the only other) redeeming factor of the record is the song that comes right afterwards, Let You Go. Pretty good stuff. The instrumental’s a bit too poppy for my liking but I do like it quite a bit none the less. The highlight of the song, however, is easily the chorus. Why? His flow during it is very enjoyable and the half-screaming vocals that follow the end of his sentences are a surprisingly smart addition.

My main problem with this record is that it doesn’t really stick to a genre. It’s all over the place. Hey! But at least Ferg’s rapping is consistent! Haha. But, yeah, this record literally goes from a pop song to a soft trap song to an experimental song with a poppy chorus. It doesn’t know what it wants to be. When this is the case with a record, it usually means one thing. The artist is looking for radio appeal. I think this might be the case here. What confuses me however is that, if this were the case, why wouldn’t Ferg just put a few pop songs on the record and have the rest be trap songs, instead of an odd mix of both? I don’t really get it. It just feels like Ferg didn’t know what he was doing with this record. This is further demonstrated by the fact that most inaccessible instrumentals on here have poppy choruses.

I wish that someone would have just went up to Ferg and told him “STICK TO A GENRE/THEME, BRO.” It feels like he tried to do too many things at once with this record and it suffered because of it. Everything feels half-assed as a result. Ferg’s rapping is embarrassing. The instrumentals are sub-par. The hooks are incredibly lazy. I think, if Ferg actually focused on a genre and refined this record, it could have been good, but, as it stands, this couldn’t be further from that. Bummer.

HiResDes

Man I've been bumping Shadow of a Doubt again lately and it's insane how it just seems to keep getting better to me, I think it might end up being Freddie's most replayable album.

T Dollarz

Man I've been bumping Shadow of a Doubt again lately and it's insane how it just seems to keep getting better to me, I think it might end up being Freddie's most replayable album.

Just saw him in Chicago last night, Shadow of a Doubt tour! He tore it up. Dude's flow is on another level.

Yep. I noticed that I go back to it pretty much every weekend. I can't play any of the first 6 tracks without playing the other 5. At that point I just run through the whole album again. Freddie Gibbs is probably the most perfectly balanced rapper right now. A little bit of everything, never overdoes any of it, top tier flow, great hooks, great ear for beats.

The Narcos --> Careless --> Fuckin Up The Count sequence is just...... whew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom