• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

I don't get what separates some of Killer Mike's tin-foil raps from the likes of Ab-Soul and Lupe Fiasco. He's flow, technique, and delivery are all ridiculously sound but I've never understood the profound love for RAP Music. I don't really find much depth in him lyrically or think he's coming from any place original whereas El-P's randomness and inner dialogue has stood the test of time better for me.I hear a lot of KRS-One in Mike, which is a definite compliment in many ways, but not in terms of the pedantic nature of his raps.

I don't get what separates some of Killer Mike's tin-foil raps from the likes of Ab-Soul and Lupe Fiasco. He's flow, technique, and delivery are all ridiculously sound but I've never understood the profound love for RAP Music. I don't really find much depth in him lyrically or think he's coming from any place original whereas El-P's randomness and inner dialogue has stood the test of time better for me.I hear a lot of KRS-One in Mike, which is a definite compliment in many ways, but not in terms of the pedantic nature of his raps.

Have you listened to anything else from Mike?

I like PL3DGE more than RAP Music

Strange because RAP Music isn't that big of a departure from that series aside from beats.

It kinda feels like you're one of those dudes who don't like Dangerdoom simply because it got all of that Adult Street shine...which is even more ironic because RAP Music came out on Williams Street.

Des...you're not one of those dudes, are you?
wIfZI2AE.png

studyguy

Am genuinely worried RT3 will feature corny ass poltics or some skit feat fucking Sanders. Like enough of that. Damn, also I thought Paak's Malibu album was great. :yeshrug

I should note I was listening to Kevin Gates when I jumped like 10ft off a kicker snowoarding out at mammoth and ended up pancaking on sunday, nearly smashed my hip into pieces. I don't get tired definitely wasn't what was going through my head sliding down the rest of the mountain on my back.

HiResDes

Oh it still has the same faults for sure, but RAP Music seems like it has fewer departures from the preaching. People worried about RTJ3 having corny ass politics must not have been listening to Mike for the past 10 years...It's not a worry it's all but confirmed

Am genuinely worried RT3 will feature corny ass poltics or some skit feat fucking Sanders. Like enough of that.

Oh, I have no doubt in my mind of this being a possibility because I'm sure Mike didn't go around the country with this man to show the hiphop co-sign/playing lowkey bellhop negro for nothing. At least...I hope he didn't.
Sr59CQpm.png

Oh it still has the same faults for sure, but RAP Music seems like it has fewer departures from the preaching. People worried about RTJ3 having corny ass politics must not have been listening to Mike for the past 10 years...It's not a worry it's all but confirmed

Fair enough.

Courage

I don't see how you can equate Killer Mike's conscious raps to those two, when Mike's rapping is always direct and hard-hitting and doesn't veil itself in corny allegories and metaphors.

I also don't have anything against El-P tbh, but his production is undoubtedly his strong suit. I think it's harder to pull off good tinfoil raps that resonate over wacky, stream of consciousness rapping that we've seen done better.

HiResDes

I don't see how you can equate Killer Mike's conspiracy raps to those two, when Mike's rapping is always direct and hard-hitting and doesn't veil itself in corny allegories and metaphors.

I also don't have anything against El-P tbh, but his production is undoubtedly his strong suit. I think it's harder to pull off good tinfoil raps that resonate over wacky, stream of consciousness rapping that we've seen done better.

I think I've just been spoiled by the likes of Billy Woods and Elucid. Being blunt is fine and all but I still expect someone respected as a top talent amongst their peers to have a bit more imagination. Mike is so blunt and direct that I can pretty much guess exactly what is going to come out of his mouth. Billy Woods and Kendrick, two of rappers that I respect the most right now have a definite political aspect to their lyrics, but they haven't become bogged down as "political rappers" because they have the ability to use their experience or the experience of those close to them to reflect on the socioeconomic state of the world around them. There's a happy medium between the likes of Lupe where every article is a metaphor or reference to a conspiracy, pseudo-deep-raps and Mike's style that I much prefer.

Ninja Dom

Both will be in my top 50. As is Andre 3000's verse on Da Art of Storytellin'. Can't forget Uncommon Valor either. Lots of expected verses, but I can't help it. I know Lupe will have a few.

Once your list is done we'll see the traditional hip-hop problem so much clearer. That just cos you can rhyme, it certainly doesn't equate to being able to make a great album or even good music.

EDIT: also be sure you got Nas, Live from the BBQ in that.

Exodust

Banned

I was just thinking the other day how I can't help but get annoyed with Ab Soul's lyrics in terrorist threats in spite of loving the beat and vibe outside of it.

RAP Album is my favorite of the RTJ output, easily. Love the rest RA just sounds like a modern version of Ice Cube's first two which are top 5 IMO.

TheRadNadz

Neo Member
Well I've definitely been sleeping on Young Thug, Slime Season 3 is so damn enjoyable. Any of his other mixtapes/albums as strong as SS3?

Also after a couple of months of listening to Pusha T's Darkest Before Dawn: The Prelude, I am so excited for King Push.

Bacon

Well I've definitely been sleeping on Young Thug, Slime Season 3 is so damn enjoyable. Any of his other mixtapes/albums as strong as SS3?

Also after a couple of months of listening to Pusha T's Darkest Before Dawn: The Prelude, I am so excited for King Push.

Barter 6, slime season and slime season 2 are all good.

Helmholtz

Lately I'm really into Sonya EP - Pollari, Lil Boat - Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi Vert vs. The World. Any recommendations that I might also enjoy?

Barter 6 is very solid too. SS1&2 each contain several stellar tracks and are mostly solid.
I couldn't really get into most of his older catalog. But he has several loose tracks that are really great too.

Eos

Lately I'm really into Sonya EP - Pollari, Lil Boat - Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi Vert vs. The World. Any recommendations that I might also enjoy?

Barter 6 is very solid too. SS1&2 each contain several stellar tracks and are mostly solid.
I couldn't really get into most of his older catalog. But he has several loose tracks that are really great too.
Check out Travis scott's discography
And Monster by Future and every mixtape/album he dropped after it

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom