• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
CgqTAEBUoAEh7YG.jpg:large

lol Gibbs...

OG Kush

Can anyone fill me in what The Breakfast Club did to Birdman prior? Why was he so upset with then? Were they slagging him off before hand/

The new Tim Hecker is also very 0PN-esque. Really feeling it.

Crazy talk. Hecker is building on a sound he's been crafting for over a decade. OPN has never had a recognizable sound or identity. Just seems like someone who dicks around with the cool equipment but never makes anything too compelling and damn sure doesn't do anything original.

Courage

Crazy talk. Hecker is building on a sound he's been crafting for over a decade. OPN has never had a recognizable sound or identity. Just seems like someone who dicks around with the cool equipment but never makes anything too compelling and damn sure doesn't do anything original.
So we're gonna act like he didn't spearhead vaporwave? I also don't get how he merely dicks around with cool equipment, so you're gonna have to elaborate on that.

So we're gonna act like he didn't spearhead Vaporware? I also don't get how he merely dicks around with cool equipment, so you're gonna have to elaborate on that.

OK, my comment about "originality" was obviously wrong regarding Vaporwave, but we'll just have to disagree OPN's merits otherwise. I just don't find anything interesting going on with his music. Though I haven't listened to much after Rifts and whatever the one with the skull on it was. He just seemed to be aping stuff that other people (namely Emeralds) were doing much better at that point in time.

You also have to realize I think Tim Hecker is not only the best in his genre at the moment, but one of the best artists we have right now. I've been listening to him since Mirages and seeing him continue to build has been crazy.

If you like OPN, I'd recommend listening to some Emeralds if you haven't already.

Dereck

Hecker did an album with OPN not too long ago, to deny that some of OPN has not rubbed off on him just a little is kind of off.

thabiz

What Dereck said also

Babyfather - BBF (FAV TRACK ~ SHOOK/MOTIVATION)
SHALT - Acheron (FAV TRACK ~ ACHERON)
Leon Vynehall - Rojus (FAV TRACK ~ Blush)
Jameszoo - Fool (FAV TRACK ~ Flu)
Basic Rhythm - Raw Trax (FAV TRACK ~ Get Dark)
Memotone - Chime Hours (FAV TRACK ~ You Saw the Future)
Gobby - No Mercy Bad Poet (FAV TRACK ~ Anti-Meme)
The Field - Follower (FAV TRACK ~ Pink Sun)
Tim Hecker - Love Streams (FAV TRACK ~ Black Phase)
The Range - Potential (FAV TRACK ~ Florida)
Baauer - Aa (FAV TRACK ~ Kung Fu)
Kyle Hall - From Joy (FAV TRACK ~ Strut Garden)
Ital Tek - Hollowed (FAV TRACK ~ Aquamarine)
Sei A - Space in Your Mind (FAV TRACK ~ Ancestors)
D.K. - Island of Dreams (FAV Track ~Raindrops)
Throwing Snow - Axioms (FAV TRACK ~ Lumen)

Also guys Bankroll Mafia is out there

...I don't listen to random tracks as much, rather listen to full project. And as good as rap has been this year it definitely pales in comparison to electronic music for me this year if I'm being totally honest. Above probably captures about 60 percent of what I've been into this year in electronic music.

This is a really good list. Checking out all the ones I don't know, which is admittedly quite a few.

If this is only 60%, I can't imagine what you have hidden away.

thabiz

Who's clowning?

That d.k track however. Sounds like Jimmy Buffet got high and found a ibiza top 50 compilation from 2002. WOW.

But, man, these recent albums, including the new Azizi, really sound like they're produced by young cats who grew up with JRPGs/90's games, I swear. Loving this melting pot of sounds in Hip Hop, right now. I honestly think we're in a new golden age. We're blessed, brehs
BcpKZjv.png

btw I meant to quote this when you posted but YES. I love the direction production has gone in hip-hop from the downtempo/electronic influenced sound to to the minimal and alternative side in the underground. And even if you want more traditional stuff, there are still lots of boom bap suppliers, and Detroit has a great take on drums + samples. It's right up there with the height of G Funk, 90s NY, South, and post-Chronic 2001 West IMO.

Koozek

btw I meant to quote this when you posted but YES. I love the direction production has gone in hip-hop from the downtempo/electronic influenced sound to to the minimal and alternative side in the underground. And even if you want more traditional stuff, there are still lots of boom bap suppliers, and Detroit has a great take on drums + samples. It's right up there with the height of G Funk, 90s NY, South, and post-Chronic 2001 West IMO.

Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom