• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Dollarz

This lasting impression that TLoP sucked is ludicrous. It is a vastly more enjoyable listen than MBDTF, which people prop up like its Kanye's greatest work. Yeezus and TLoP both better.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
This lasting impression that TLoP sucked is ludicrous. It is a vastly more enjoyable listen than MBDTF, which people prop up like its Kanye's greatest work. Yeezus and TLoP both better.

MBFDTF is his magnum opus...it all went down hill from there.

I feel like I give Kanye more benefit of the doubt than I give any other artist.

Like I thought Yeezus was trash the first 10 times I listened to it but I kept beating my head against that wall thinking there was something in there I was missing

I'm at the same place with Pablo. I just don't get why people fuck with it right now

2 dope new albums and a rainy/overcast weekend
rejoice.png

Courage

I'll always give props to Kanye for trying out different ideas and sounds on his albums, even if his lyricism and rapping is progressively getting weaker. I'll take that over Drake's safe, cynical approach which mostly revolves around how to keep himself relevant than crafting a well realized project. Take Care is his only album that comes close to having that ambition, even if it may not be consistent quality-wise.

Fjordson

I think it's a good followup to NWTS, but I see a lot of that and Take Care in it so I can't really dispute people who call it safe or familiar.

The hype didn't help either. I could be remembering wrong, but it seems like he talked about this album before release more than any other. I think people were expecting something that would move him forward as an artist and I'd be lying if I said this did that, despite my enjoyment of it.

Sup GAF-Hop,

been getting more involved in Music again so I hope to be more involved with the community

Drake wasn't ready for a double LP. It really shows. The music isn't the definition of bad.... but its just so weak compared to his previously library. I was intrigued when he said he was looking at a different sound last year at Coachella, but this isn't different... This is the same old Drake flow with very little development...

Ironic the self proclaimed 'king' got real comfortable on the throne. Made him weak.

Found myself on music times and Cudi had words

Kid Cudi said:
I look around like, 'This is what y'all think is the best? This sh*t is not that dope.' But I'm pretty quiet on my Twitter nowadays," he explained, according to The Smoking Section. "I made a comment about mediocrity in music on Twitter, around the time Drake and Future put out [2015's What a Time to Be Alive]. People were like, 'Cudi's talking sh*t!' I'm appalled any of y'all think I even sat down and listened to that sh*t. (Laughs.) I wasn't talking about that at all! But if the shoe fits... N-s are so guilty that they know it's them. I didn't even know they had a project. I tweeted that, put my phone down and walked away. Next time I pick it up, I'm in the news! They say I'm ranting; a rant means you care. I don't care like that."

This nigga got nerve to talk about mediocre music with that GARBAGE album Speeding Bullet.

HOT GARBAGE

Dereck

I'll take that over Drake's safe, cynical approach which mostly revolves around how to keep himself relevant than crafting a well realized project. Take Care is his only album that comes close to having that ambition, even if it may not be consistent quality-wise.
Be featured on everyone's album, make a tape with Future, beef with Meek Mill, release two projects in 2015, release another one in 2016.

Tokubetsu

Sup GAF-Hop,

been getting more involved in Music again so I hope to be more involved with the community

Drake wasn't ready for a double LP. It really shows. The music isn't the definition of bad.... but its just so weak compared to his previously library. I was intrigued when he said he was looking at a different sound last year at Coachella, but this isn't different... This is the same old Drake flow with very little development...

Ironic the self proclaimed 'king' got real comfortable on the throne. Made him weak.

Found myself on music times and Cudi had words

This nigga got nerve to talk about mediocre music with that GARBAGE album Speeding Bullet.

HOT GARBAGE

Yeah it's weak

No way this album touches Labor Days. People need to let the album settle a bit before making those kind of proclamations. You're surfing the tide of the album's production with a comment like that. Nothing else here has the staying power of LD.

You maybe say this is his most accessible album since that release, but I'd even disagree with that.

No way this album touches Labor Days. People need to let the album settle a bit before making those kind of proclamations. You're surfing the tide of the album's production with a comment like that. Nothing else here has the staying power of LD.

You maybe say this is his most accessible album since that release, but I'd even disagree with that.

Let's look at the track record:
Bazooka Tooth was underwhelming
Fast Cars was a decent little EP
None Shall Pass was alright but could've been a bit better
then quite a hiatus until:
Skelethon.....I may have to revist this one to be honest with you

So yeah....best album since Labor Days for me. Notice I said "best since" and not "better than"

And I'm not counting those folk rap albums for a reason. I'm extra good on that lol

Let's look at the track record:
Bazooka Tooth was underwhelming
Fast Cars was a decent little EP
None Shall Pass was alright but could've been a bit better
then quite a hiatus until:
Skelethon.....I may have to revist this one to be honest with you

So yeah....best album since Labor Days for me. Notice I said "best since" and not "better than"

And I'm not counting those folk rap albums for a reason. I'm extra good on that lol

I'll admit that I got a bit sensitive there. I read the statement correctly, but I still misinterpreted it.

Even still, I'd take those mentioned earlier works over IK at this moment. BT, while its production is sketchy, it was Ace having fun and seeing how far left he could go, lyrically and conceptually. It was also his first time doing his own production - so the work has undeniable value. Especially considering that he's become one of the sickest producers in the game right now, IMO. It's nice to see how far he's come. I still revisit BT, even though I don't like it that much.

None Shall Pass, is a good medium between modern/classical Ace, where he's recognizing he's not getting any younger: but he's comfortable in his skin and his niche.

Skelethon is the beginning of his public spiral of introversion, but it's probably got the sickest production outside IK, it's got Gopher Guts, Tesla, and Crows 1&2 and the Bonus Tracks that made me believe Ace still enjoyed making hip hop music.

IK is dope and easily his best production: it just sounds really cool. but I doubt I'll be listening to it a few weeks from now.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'll always give props to Kanye for trying out different ideas and sounds on his albums, even if his lyricism and rapping is progressively getting weaker. I'll take that over Drake's safe, cynical approach which mostly revolves around how to keep himself relevant than crafting a well realized project. Take Care is his only album that comes close to having that ambition, even if it may not be consistent quality-wise.

I don't give extra credit for flailing about just because you're doing it really hard.

Fjordson

Drake will patch back in Ye and Jay for non Apple music versions. Couldn't have Tidal artists on there.

I'm kidding, but sadly I could see this happening in 2016

thabiz

Haha nice. I wonder how Drake reacts to the reception this album is getting. It's good I guess. He got too comfortable this will knock his ego down a bit.
Considering his tickets here are going for a grand 5 minutes after they went on sale, I'd say he's not worried one bit.

Fjordson

Haha nice. I wonder how Drake reacts to the reception this album is getting. It's good I guess. He got too comfortable this will knock his ego down a bit.
He's always been divisive as far as the reception to his music. Don't think he'll notice unless it sells bad compared to NWTS / Take Care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom