• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Damn i guess I'm gonna be an outlier with this album.
Also the album is actually about even with the singing and rapping tracks, though there are a couple with both on them.

This Aesop Rock is sounding great so far.

But the nerd in me can't help but think he dumbed down for his audience to double his dollars
qeaVSTo3.png

Fjordson

Damn i guess I'm gonna be an outlier with this album.
Also the album is actually about even with the singing and rapping tracks, though there are a couple with both on them.
It's still early, but tentatively it's top 3 Drake for me. It's no Take Care, doesn't have a Marvin's Room-level track imo, but close to Nothing Was the Same. I like it a lot.

The Rihanna collab is surprisingly dope. Wasn't hyped for it after not caring for Work.

I view the rattling of sabres like a show to expose
Insecurities exploding in emotional code
With braggadocio to go from mostly jokey to gross
Corrode a homie til his probity is notably ghost
Before the hobby was a job he was a manager, Hell
You would wobble round your momma like an infant gazelle
The disillusionment has truly been a difficult pill
That you was anything menacing is a difficult sell
In a whistle-and-bellorama, black mollies to dress up like piranha
It's not even compelling melodrama
It's a comedy, somebody wanna shop you as a saga
I'm very voluntarily persona non grata
You fuckin' dorks ain't the leaders we need
This ain't the medium for divas out to weasel and breed
I'm off in coffee with the paupers over tea with the queen
Don't make 'em show the regency what disobedient means
Heavy load to bear, party over here, I'll be over there

l4MjOgj6.png

"A" go dark in the face of the fucked when the fucked was a friend that was basically done
Into the woods go his alien tongue
It was that or a textbook fake and a funk
And I can't

Welp
tocry.png

l4MjOgj6.png

"A" go dark in the face of the fucked when the fucked was a friend that was basically done
And I can't

Welp
tocry.png
Yeah I could never get into hopsin

Weston Road Flow (just for the beat really)
One Dance
Child's Play

uhh...that's about it. And I'm stretching with Child's Play too tbh. It's waay too long first of all, cut this down 10-12 tracks. Slow pacing too.

Loved everything Drake released post-Thank Me Later but this is his first misfire. Production on point as always but even then they could have done with a little more up tempo stuff in a few more tracks. I was hoping One Dance, the london slang getting more prevalent and fucking with Ramriddlz would lead to a more dancehall and grime inspired album but we just got a mediocre rnb album instead. :(

good production, meh album. sorry fjordson. i wanted to ride for the 6god again but nah.

Kinda crazy that Beyonce had a better album than Kanye and Drake in the same year. Never would have guessed that.

Fjordson

Weston Road Flow (just for the beat really)
One Dance
Child's Play

uhh...that's about it. And I'm stretching with Child's Play too tbh. It's waay too long first of all, cut this down 10-12 tracks. Slow pacing too.

Loved everything Drake released post-Thank Me Later but this is his first misfire. Production on point as always but even then they could have done with a little more up tempo stuff in a few more tracks.

good production, meh album. sorry fjordson. i wanted to ride for the 6god again but nah.

Kinda crazy that Beyonce had a better album than Kanye and Drake in the same year. Never would have guessed that.
It's aight breh. I forgive you for that Black Sails recommendation. Show is 🔥

Forreal. Whew.

Even the first season which seems to be widely considered the weakest was pretty dope imo. The performances are too good. I binged it fairly quickly and am getting to the middle of S2.

bruh season 2 straight through to end of season 3 is fire. flint, max, rackham and silver are all master schemers.

Disco, no Feel No Ways? Probably the best beat on the album. Those keys are godlike

And why have I still not gone back to Black Sails S3 smh

Yeah I like the production on that and a lot of tracks on here tbh (shout out to that DMX snippet, should have repeated it throughout the track smh)

but they're ultimately meh songs to me. I think he should have explored the dancehall sound more imo.

but they're ultimately meh songs to me. I think he should have explored the dancehall sound more imo.

Yessss if he wasn't going to make more IYRTITL style music I wish he went all the way into that bouncy One Dance, Hotline Bling, With You, Controlla, Too Good stuff. At least it would've been a fun listen. The old ground he retreads that sounds like typical Drake music is tired. And I don't just mean the R&B tracks, Views and Westen Road Flows are in the bushes too.

HiResDes

Yessss if he wasn't going to make more IYRTITL style music I wish he went all the way into that bouncy One Dance, Hotline Bling, With You, Controlla, Too Good stuff. At least it would've been a fun listen. The old ground he retreads that sound like typical Drake music is tired. And I don't just mean the R&B tracks, Views and Westen Road Flows are in the bushes too.

I agree with this line of thinking completely.

rrc1594

Yessss if he wasn't going to make more IYRTITL style music I wish he went all the way into that bouncy One Dance, Hotline Bling, With You, Controlla, Too Good stuff. At least it would've been a fun listen. The old ground he retreads that sound like typical Drake music is tired, and I don't just mean the R&B tracks- Views and Westen Road Flows are in the bushes too.

Hmm I see your point but those songs never stick with me. It's the songs like Views, Weston Road Flows, and Tuscan Leather that I find myself listen to years later from Drake

overcast

So yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with this album as a whole. At least it has some good tracks. Feels like we've just been here, done this. Long album with poor pacing.

I wouldn't say I'm just here for the bangers, I didn't really care for If You're Reading This. Views isn't a bad album for sure, a lot of good shit going on in the production. I just lose sight of any stand outs here.

Opening track is GARBAGE. After that 2-6 are all nice, 9 -> U With Me? -> Feel No Ways is my favorite stretch of the album. This point of the album isn't bangers, but it's moving along at a nice clip. Once we get to Redemption -> With You -> Faithful I lose a lot of interest. Redemption feels like an 8 minute song to me and for no good reason. This grind to a halt hurts the album. Back half I fuck with Still Here, One Dance, Child's Play and Views is okay.

So if I fuck with about 10ish songs out of 20 that's already half, but it's not even that. It's the fact Drake himself doesn't do much with the fire production given. It's the same stories, the same flows, the same cadence. It feels like a repeat in a way that his last two didn't really. Drake doesn't elevate these tracks he just delivers them.

Hmm I see your point but those songs never stick with me. It's the songs like Views, Weston Road Flows, and Tuscan Leather that I find myself listen to years later from Drake

I get that too, but I enjoy Drake's music differently than most of his fans, I think. My least favorite Drake tracks are the "I'm Really Rapping Now" deep cuts, and the atmospheric slower songs that everyone loves. I don't think he's interesting enough to make either of those work. Drake is best for me with a strong rhythm, a strong melody, and pure charisma. Ever since So Far Gone I've felt this way- November 18th is the best track on that tape by FAR.

So with that in mind I really liked when he went super pop (Take Care, Hold On We're Going Home) or ignorant banger (Started From The Bottom, Worst Behavior, IYRTITL). I guarantee if Views was a Dancehall Drake album I'd be all over it in the same way I enjoyed BUSH from Snoop Dogg last year.

l4MjOgj6.png

And I can't

Welp
tocry.png

Nice. Can't wait for the album. Lyrics read damn well off the page.

HiiiLife

After a few hours.

Can't see myself keeping the intro track or the PND one. Fuck PND. I didn't like him on IYRTITL either.

Grammys (just can't rock with future) is a bit wish washy with me, too. Redemption feels like it drags. The outro is better than the singing shit on that song.

And. I absolutely see no reason to keep the interlude. Lol.

So excluding Hotline & interlude... 14 tracks I shamelessly fuck with. Jury still out for 2 songs. And 2 nevergonnaplayagain.

Very questionable lines (Chaining Tatum), couple songs way too long (overstaying its welcome), & features being cut (Popcaan wtf??!?) but for the most part. I enjoy it. I can see it being top 3 from still.

Edit: Pop Style is wish washy as well. New verse cool, but this should've stayed a promo with S16.

So let's say it's 13* tracks I shamelessly fuck wit.

Koozek

LOL, just from reading your impressions that's exactly what I expected Views to be. First Drake album I haven't been looking forward to. I think we witnessed his peak last year.

m3k

i have not listened too drake kanye or beyonce yet... and im reading beyonce might be the best

wot

ill listen to kanye tomorrow haha i need to sort this out

Syntsui

On first listen, I loved it. Controlla and Pop Style are better too. There is definetly some tracks that shouldn't have a place on the album, but that can have a pass.

I will give a proper listen at night, but I already have a better impression than NWTS.

Yeah Impossible Kid is I think Aesop's best. I can't really see it as him trying to be commercial, just because he's reaching Just Blaze levels of giving me nosebleeds, production-wise. His lyrics are still denser than the densest Garfield lasagne.

And like he has whole songs about:
a) A walk tattoo he saw getting ice cream
b) A therapist session
c) His cat

Shit ain't Metro Boomin

codhand

smh, some hard truths for gaf hoppers this year.

Drake peaked
TLOP sucked
Future was aped
and Beyonce put out a better album than the lot of them

If you listened to 'Skelethon'; Ace made songs about his favorite donut shop, internalized and deconstructed the banalities of getting a haircut, and eating vegetables in his youth.

Rapping about his cat is moth-fodder when it comes to contemporary Aesop.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
So Drake and Weeknd stopped working together because Weeknd didn't signed with OVO?

And when the hell is a Weeknd X Future mixtape dropping? That would be dope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom