• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

illadelph

What's up with that? It seems most rap fans I've met feel the need to get on that album ASAP.

Glad to see you're on the bandwagon though. Album blew my mind when I got into it as well.

I couldn't get into DOOM back in the day - his monotone delivery combined with his abstract style just didn't do it for me. About a year or two ago, I gave Operation: Doomsday another chance, and suddenly everything clicked...I finally got DOOM. I've had Madvillainy sitting in my iTunes for a long time, and finally decided to give it a shot today. I was worried that it'd be too long at 22 tracks, but most of them are really short, concise ideas. Madlib's production is creative as hell, and it pairs perfectly with MF DOOM's off-kilter ramblings.

Dereck

Read this comment on RYM about Madvillainy and it suits it
like flipping through channels in someone's mind, and those channels are the unrestrained thoughts of the most interesting insane person there ever was.

DOOM is a neat rapper and he's so hilarious, demented, insane and unconventional which makes that much more neat.

I'm morally bankrupt when it comes to media. Like I can acknowledge gibbs may likely be a piece of garbage but I'll play Eastside Moonwalker a minute later....

@Voorheez

How much are tickets? My friends are going that night but Im still debating.

Idek...

I still go on Ross to this day about those rape bars...

Now I actually have to consider not listening to good music by a possible rapist.

The biggest philosophy in which if art still represents a person? I say yes, a persons art is an extension of them and therefore can be colored by your opinion of their character.

I couldn't get into DOOM back in the day - his monotone delivery combined with his abstract style just didn't do it for me. About a year or two ago, I gave Operation: Doomsday another chance, and suddenly everything clicked...I finally got DOOM. I've had Madvillainy sitting in my iTunes for a long time, and finally decided to give it a shot today. I was worried that it'd be too long at 22 tracks, but most of them are really short, concise ideas. Madlib's production is creative as hell, and it pairs perfectly with MF DOOM's off-kilter ramblings.

Doom has to be up there in terms of technical ability in rap music. The combination of alliteration, internal rhyme schemes that span over multiple bars, and multi-syllabic rhyming together in single songs is crazy to me. Madlib's production can be hit or miss, but with Madvilliany he pretty much nails it. I like the concise packaging of the album as well.

I'm sure you are familiar with Mmm... Food and The Mouse and the Mask, and those albums are also great, and the latter will especially work for you if you are into Adult Swim.

Read this comment on RYM about Madvillainy and it suits it

That's pretty damn spot on.

2pac went to jail for sexual abuse too. Gibbs voice and flow sounds like its from that era

...All Eyez On Me 2 incoming brehs

Yeah but I never believed he actually did it. The way Shock G from Digital Underground explained how things went down in that courtroom is not right.

As for Gibbs..... I don't know man. To be honest I don't believe it, unless that video tape shows it all. For all we know him and his crew wanted to have some fun with the women and afterwards these two women thought it might be a good idea to make accusations. That chance is just as big as Gibbs actually being guilty, maybe even more likely because.... why the hell do these accusations appear a year later? The victims only recently remembered it or something?

Not that this is saying a lot but Gibbs is also married and has kids, doesn't he? Again, that means very little for some folks. But unless they have damning evidence, I don't believe it.

And I don't think we should take any lyrics seriously, even if Gibbs had at least one about rape.

Koozek

late but been listening to nostalgic 64... ive been sleeping, production good, curry upped everything on this

hoping the next project gets better still

As others have pointed out, there have been two other albums since Nostalgic 64. His newest album, Imperial, is
giphy.gif

Imperial:
https://soundcloud.com/denzelcurryph/sets/imperial-ii

32 Zel / Planet Shrooms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuO6oT3A94w

Syntsui

Yeah but I never believed he actually did it. The way Shock G from Digital Underground explained how things went down in that courtroom is not right.

As for Gibbs..... I don't know man. To be honest I don't believe it, unless that video tape shows it all. For all we know him and his crew wanted to have some fun with the women and afterwards these two women thought it might be a good idea to make accusations. That chance is just as big as Gibbs actually being guilty, maybe even more likely because.... why the hell do these accusations appear a year later? The victims only recently remembered it or something?

Not that this is saying a lot but Gibbs is also married and has kids, doesn't he? Again, that means very little for some folks. But unless they have damning evidence, I don't believe it.

And I don't think we should take any lyrics seriously, even if Gibbs had at least one about rape.
Rape culture in a nutshell. You don't know shit and are already blaming the victim, wait for better evidences from the case before embarrassing yourself breh.

Ninja Dom

So what album or tape is everyone listening to the most this Summer?

For me, I can't stop playing that Lil Duke - Uber. It's doing for me this Summer, what Barter 6 did to me last Summer.

Syntsui

For me, I can't stop playing that Lil Duke - Uber. It's doing for me this Summer, what Barter 6 did to me last Summer.
Well, it's winter here if it matters, but I'm addicted to Coloring Book.

HiResDes

Before I Scream, August 26, Sonya, Uzi Versus the World, A New Life, Lil Boat.

T Dollarz

Lil Duke
Post Malone
Chance the Rapper

Maaan I was late on Barter 6 last year, I didn't click with it til the fall, but when I did I couldn't stop. My summer was overwhelmed by Summertime 06 and DS2

Reckoner

I've been listening to Common a lot lately. Be has been on rotation. It is a all smiles album. Feels so good.

Koozek

I've been listening to Common a lot lately. Be has been on rotation. It is a all smiles album. Feels so good.
One of my all-time faves. I know what I'm gonna listen to later.

My playlist right now are those Payroll Giovanni & Cardo, Lil Uber, and Post Malone tapes. Also still DS2+WATTBA+Evol when I'm on the go. I'm just not getting tired of it. It took me a few months to "get" Future when DS2 dropped last year and everybody hyped it up over here, but man, when it clicked, it clicked. Having learned about his history with Dungeon Family/Organized Noize only recently made me appreciate him even more.

Oh, and I'm loving that Avalanches album you guys recommended me a few days ago. Really chill:

https://play.spotify.com/album/7j4m8OUy87xQsuIVJQxF3J

BlackJace

I disagree with it being worse than Planet Shrooms.

I guess it comes down to what you want from him. If you wanted psychedelic, high in the sky tunes, PSZ32 was for you.

IMO, Imperial is for you if you want a more personal take on Curry's life. A lot of Imperial is him rapping at an audience.

HiResDes

I disagree with it being worse than Planet Shrooms.

I guess it comes down to what you want from him. If you wanted psychedelic, high in the sky tunes, PSZ32 was for you.

IMO, Imperial is for you if you want a more personal take on Curry's life. A lot of Imperial is him rapping at an audience.
I don't know why people continually want to separate 32 Zel and Planet Shrooms they are two sides of the same coin and showcase Denzel's more aggressive side and also a wavier psychedelic side, which I believe makes him interesting.

BlackJace

I don't know why people continually want to separate 32 Zel and Planet Shrooms they are two sides of the same coin and showcase Denzel's more aggressive side and also a wavier psychedelic side, which I believe makes him interesting.

It's not so much that I want to separate them. I'm trying to keep it simple in that I fuck with Imperial's one sided tone of aggressiveness more than what PS32Z offered. Again, I believe it comes down to what you expect/want from Curry.

Rape culture in a nutshell. You don't know shit and are already blaming the victim, wait for better evidences from the case before embarrassing yourself breh.

Nah, unless i worded it wrong, you misunderstand me.

It's true, i don't know shit about it, none of us do. Only Gibbs and those two women. That's why i said...''for all we know...'' anything is possible. I just refuse to condemn the dude right away. It happens plenty of times that people are falsely accused of things like these and again...i ask, why wait a year for this to accuse him of that? I just find it odd.

So no dude i disagree, i am not embarrassing myself at all. If it turns out that there's evidence, hard evidence....i'll be among the first ones to admit i was wrong in believing he didn't do it. But one thing is true too, women can be pretty terrible, some of them and have no problem ruining a person's life like this.

I'll end this by saying i hope it's not true and especially let's wait for June 16 when Gibb's extradition hearing will take place.

Courage

Nah, unless i worded it wrong, you misunderstand me.

It's true, i don't know shit about it, none of us do. Only Gibbs and those two women. That's why i said...''for all we know...'' anything is possible. I just refuse to condemn the dude right away. It happens plenty of times that people are falsely accused of things like these and again...i ask, why wait a year for this to accuse him of that? I just find it odd.

So no dude i disagree, i am not embarrassing myself at all. If it turns out that there's evidence, hard evidence....i'll be among the first ones to admit i was wrong in believing he didn't do it. But one thing is true too, women can be pretty terrible, some of them and have no problem ruining a person's life like this.

I'll end this by saying i hope it's not true and especially let's wait for June 16 when Gibb's extradition hearing will take place.

DACAJGB.gif

Great album. I don't know if I like Resurrection or Like Water For Chocolate as my favorite Common album. Resurrection has probably his craziest wordplay throughout his entire career, in fact it was probably his forte when he first started.

Fjordson

Yeah, they're great. Well, Shrines was. The other one was so forgettable I can't remember the name of it. Des actually introduced me to them in the old plug sessions
Oh, well shit lol.

Only thing that instantly came to mind hearing that track you posted. Guessing Des has more, though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Oh, well shit lol.

Only thing that instantly came to mind hearing that track you posted. Guessing Des has more, though.

Ha, yeah. It's sort of a specific sound. Ethereal, mournful woman singer. Deep, melancholic bass lines, all underpinned with a pop sensibility that gets it stuck in your head. I dunno. Does any of that dime store P4K bullshit make any sense?

HiResDes

Ha, yeah. It's sort of a specific sound. Ethereal, mournful woman singer. Deep, melancholic bass lines, all underpinned with a pop sensibility that gets it stuck in your head. I dunno. Does any of that dime store P4K bullshit make any sense?

About to head to work but real quick here are some good starting points:

Alina Baraz & Galimatias - Urban Flora EP
Rosie Lowe ~ Control
Tei Shi - Verde EP
Bosco - Boy
Braids - Deep in the Iris
Liz - Just Like You
Evy Jane - Any of her EPs
Kiiara - Low Kii Savage
Låpsley - Long Way Home
TĀLĀ - Any of her EPs
Abra - Rose
Nao - February 15
Kelela - Cut 4 Me

...Those are definitely some of my favorite examples that I'll think you'll be happy with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom