• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorheez

What are you guys assessing in order to rank these albums? Production, lyrical ability, lyrical content, sales, impact? Combination of all of them? I'm genuinely curious.

Cheddahz

Banned
1) Blueprint
2) 2001
3) Black on Both Sides
4) Blackout
5) MMLP
Ok, and who do you enjoy listening to those albums in that particular order? You ranked them for a reason. You "enjoyed" listening to one album more than another, so there must be a reason?

people don't have to state why they like to listen to one album more than another, grow up

Syntsui

Ok, and who do you enjoy listening to those albums in that particular order? You ranked them for a reason. You "enjoyed" listening to one album more than another, so there must be a reason?
Does it matter? When you like something do you feel the need to understand exactly why you like it so you can to justify it?

Vorheez

people don't have to state why they like to listen to one album more than another, grow up

I never said you "have" to, I just asked you a question.
Does it matter? When you like something do you feel the need to understand exactly why you like it so you can to justify it?
Yes. Is it really too much to ask someone to explain why they like something?

I ask these questions because they are worth asking, just look at the response it evokes? Obviously it's something worth exploring. How old are you guys, mid 20s, early 30s? You've never stopped to consider why you like the things you do? So, if someone like myself asks a harmless question, you can't provide me with some insight into your musical tastes? Maybe I was asking for an opportunity to listen to these albums with a unique ear or perspective?

I wouldn't ask if I didn't respect your opinions. Stop being so defensive.

Dereck

I like more tracks on this album than another, there is less variety in the beats on this album than there is on another, this album is too long which makes it less enoyable to listen, this album has too many skits, the songs are too long, etc.

Courage

Considering there's not a lot similarities between the albums, there's no grounded way to evaluate them other than that, and of course all the factors you listed contribute to my enjoyment. If I were to simplify it, I'd say Blueprint and 2001 for their production (although 2001 is not as consistently good as the former), Black on Both Sides for lyrical prowess, Blackout! for the chemistry. Not a fan of MMLP.

Vorheez

Considering there's not a lot similarities between the albums, there's no grounded way to evaluate them other than that, and of course all the factors you listed contribute to my enjoyment. If I were to simplify it, I'd say Blueprint and 2001 for their production (although 2001 is not as consistently good as the former), Black on Both Sides for lyrical prowess, Blackout! for the chemistry. Not a fan of MMLP.
Ok cool, I couldn't get into the Blueprint when I first heard it so I'm trying to get a general consensus of what people see in it. I'll keep an ear open for the production a little more next time. Never heard black on both sides because I couldn't stand Mos def after Bruce Willis clowned him, but I'll check that out too. Love me some lyrical snafoo

I've done 180s on artists before just by listening to their music with a different perspective.

1. Marshall Mathers LP
2. 2001
3. Black on Both Sides
4. Blackout
5. The Blueprint

All of the albums are good except the Blueprint (which I would give a six out of ten), with MMLP being the clear winner (top 5 favorite rap album). On another note, I really like the lyrics to New World Water off of Black On Both Sides.

http://genius.com/Yasiin-bey-new-world-water-lyrics

I have to say though, most of the annotations don't do it justice. Can't believe the first editor missed the Evian reference.

Nabs

Ok cool, I couldn't get into the Blueprint when I first heard it so I'm trying to get a general consensus of what people see in it. I'll keep an ear open for the production a little more next time. Never heard black on both sides because I couldn't stand Mos def after Bruce Willis clowned him, but I'll check that out too. Love me some lyrical snafoo

I've done 180s on artists before just by listening to their music with a different perspective.

PZEJ5HP.png

Vorheez

1. Marshall Mathers LP
2. 2001
3. Black on Both Sides
4. Blackout
5. The Blueprint

All of the albums are good except the Blueprint (which I would give a six out of ten), with MMLP being the clear winner (top 5 favorite rap album).

Aww pffftt come on guys, you're telling me not a single one of you are even slightly curious to hear the explanation for this listing? You don't think there is a small burden of responsibility on Andrew to explain why he did a complete reverse of every other listing in this thread if someone asks? Yes I know, "opinions" and all that, but come on... When that opinion is controversial, "I like it more" is just not enough.

Guess I'm just meant to be the villain

Aww pffftt come on guys, you're telling me not a single one of you are even slightly curious to hear the explanation for this listing? You don't think there is a small burden of responsibility on Andrew to explain why he did a complete reverse of every other listing in this thread if someone asks? Yes I know, "opinions" and all, but come on... When that opinion is controversial, "I like it more" is just not enough.

Guess I'm just meant to be the villain

Meh, not really. I'm not sure how my post was a complete reversal, other than I love Eminem more than others on here and I've never been a Jay-Z fan. Really, I think you are reading too much into this. Personal preference and personal enjoyment is sometimes the only way we evaluate how much we like particular rap albums?

Tokubetsu

Hey GAF-Hop.

I just wanted to shine some light on my debut mixtape I released today.

The project is called "Nightfall" and is my first big project where I produced almost the entire thing. I am a producer / rapper / singer from Moreno Valley, CA (East of Los Angeles) and i'm really excited to share my work with you guys. My main influences are Kanye West, Childish Gambino, RZA, Masta Ace, and Slimkid3 from The Pharcyde.

First off, the mixtape front cover:

2eWu1iGl.png

was designed by fellow GAF member "my name is ed"!

I'm also working with our very own Tokubetsu on new material in the future!

Nightfall is a concept mixtape where the premise is where I introduce myself to the world through my art as I tell the story of a boy looking to find himself in life. The mixtape comes with a short film I directed and starred in called "From Dawn till Dusk" which is actually linked to the mixtape! I recommend you watch that first. Nightfall is 100% free to download!

Visit my main website to watch the short film and hear/download the mixtape.

If you want to just stream the mixtape -- click here.

If you want a direct link to the short film -- click here.

If you're digging the material and you want to stay up to date with my music, please follow all my social media on my main website link! I always do my best to stay connected to supporters and i'll be going out to do shows this summer. My team and I are excited to meet and connect with people!

Thank you for your time GAF! Hope you guys enjoy the project! I am open to all sorts of opinions and criticisms because I want to grow and improve as an artist.

Grats on getting this out dude, know you worked hard on it!

illadelph

I can't even begin to rank those albums, I like them all too much to choose. The late 80s/early 90s is the golden era, but damn, 99-early 2000s had tons of classic shit. 2001 and Blueprint shook up the whole production world, then College Dropout did it again a couple years later.

PBY

Banned
yeah I really like it. Seems kind of derivative though but he's still young

Peak Kodak is leagues ahead of his peers. But he rarely reaches that level, and puts out a bunch of okay songs, and also a lot of bad songs.

That lockjaw verse is something tho.

HiResDes

Peak Kodak is leagues ahead of his peers. But he rarely reaches that level, and puts out a bunch of okay songs, and also a lot of bad songs.

That lockjaw verse is something tho.
Totally agree with this could be great but way too much filler and ridiculously uneven output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom