• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BoomTrap-Volume-4-ARTWORK-450x450.jpg

!llmind - BoomTrap Vol. 4.

Cam'Ron ft. Juelz Santana - Oh Yeah video.

Gang of songs coming out today about police violence:

Young Buck - Riot.
Z Ro x Mike Dean - No Justice No Peace.
Mistah F.A.B. - 6 Shots.
DJ Greg Street ft. Akon, B.o.B., & Big K.R.I.T. - I Am Somebody.
Swizz Beatz ft. Scarface - Sad News.

Some are cheesier than others, but overall, I surprisingly enjoyed all of these TBH.

https://soundcloud.com/topdawgent/that-part-black-hippy-remix-1

THat Part Black Hippy remix

everybody but flab soulo spazzed
Echoing everyone else's impressions on this. Great overall though.

EDIT: Jay Z is flowing on this new track wow, I didn't think he had this in him anymore. Legit his best performance since American Gangster alongside his verse on Drug Dealers Anonymous.
I don't know how you could listen to that Jay track and even begin to think that he had flow.

I haven't heard anything that off-beat in years. There was zero rhythm. We give a lot of rappers hyperbolic shit for rapping off beat, but Jay was literally just talking as fast as he could with a beat on in the background.

The Schoolboy Q album picks up. He really needs to thank Miguel, Vince Staples, Anderson Paak, Dogg Pound and E-40 for their verses. This album would have been disappointing without them.

I don't know how you could listen to that Jay track and even begin to think that he had flow.

I haven't heard anything that off-beat in years. There was zero rhythm. We give a lot of rappers hyperbolic shit for rapping off beat, but Jay was literally just talking as fast as he could with a beat on in the background.

That's the point though. When's the last time he tried something, anything on a beat? I don't know where this sentiment that riding the percussion = optimal, but there's a million ways to attack an instrumental. That spoken word offbeat style hopping in and out of the pattern in the first verse is the most experimental he's been in a long, long time. Ever since like Blueprint 3 he's been on that lazy start-stop UNH/UH/AUGH flow with nothing interesting happening.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This E-40 verse is so bad omg

belongs in the garbage can, the trash

That's the point though. When's the last time he tried something, anything on a beat? I don't know where this sentiment that riding the percussion = optimal, but there's a million ways to attack an instrumental. That spoken word offbeat style hopping in and out of the pattern in the first verse is the most experimental he's been in a long, long time. Ever since like Blueprint 3 he's been on that lazy start-stop UNH/UH/AUGH flow with nothing interesting happening.
The sentiment comes from shit that sounds put together, as opposed to shit like this that sounds discordant. I'm not sure where the opposite sentiment comes from, where being as far removed from all parts of the beat as possible constitutes a good flow. Even DOOM's haphazard style touches in more than this. Slap it with an "experimental" label if you want, but it just sounds like a mess, and the label this type of rapping usually gets is "aye, were his headphones even on?"

The sentiment comes from shit that sounds put together, as opposed to shit like this that sounds discordant. I'm not sure where the opposite sentiment comes from, where being as far removed from all parts of the beat as possible constitutes a good flow. Even DOOM's haphazard style touches in more than this. Slap it with an "experimental" label if you want, but it just sounds like a mess, and the label this type of rapping usually gets is "aye, were his headphones even on?"

I never said that discord = good, as if that's the only interesting way to rap. I can appreciate Nas' structure on NY State of Mind just as much as I can appreciate BIggie making awkward scheme switches seem natural, or Snoop Dogg's easygoing style, or Pharoahe Monch going nuts on Bring It On, or Doom's hyper multis, or Young Thug's weird harmonies, or Future's droning, or etc. etc. Jay's not "as far removed from all parts of the beat as possible" holy exaggeration. He's clearly jumping into the fast talk- something he used to do a lot btw, remember- and jumping back out to land on the beat. He doesn't need to do this all the time, but this was a guy once revered for his varied ways to tackle an instrumental.

Exodust

Banned
Hmmm, Blank Face could use some trimming

I'd take out Kanye from THat Part even though the song itself is meh to me regardless. Take out whatever Tyler put in, take out Overtime cause it's just mediocre. But the rest I'd keep.

I might be in the minority on this but I fucks with WHateva U Want heavy. I don't usually like popish cross overs but I really like the beat and flow to it and think it adds to the album.

Gun to my head, maybe the Swizz Beats track and the Lance Skiiwalker part in Kno Ya Wrong too. Even though I think their decent to good but don't really reach the other and plentiful highs in the album for me.

That Part, Whateva U Want, and Overtime can go. Dope Dealer's on the edge too.

EDIT: Big Body is first ballot cut though, how could I leave that out.

On HnC I'd only cut Grooveline and Sex Drive.

Tookie Knows >>>> Tookie Knows II btw, even though the first one is basically a bunch of adlibbing.

illadelph

Jay's flow is pretty great on the new track...it's unorthodox but never wanders off too far to come back around. I wonder if the same people who dislike it also think E-40 is trash...

I haven't gotten to listen to Blank Face yet, but I bumped that Maxo Kream today, and goddamn, it is fuckin phenomenal. Everyone needs to check that out if you haven't already

Groovy Tony / Eddie Kane is soooooooooooo good. They took what was already a dope single and turned it into one of my favorite tracks of the year. Jadakiss' verse, the bassline and progression on Eddie Kane, Q's verses, whew

Rappin' my ass off, nigga
You're tryna blur my picture
Want me down there with you
Tryna blow my high
You wanna steer my drive
You ask for more than my moms
Try corruptin' my mind
Do some work with them palms
When I was broke, you was gone

u65r1PCa.gif

Groovy Tony / Eddie Kane is soooooooooooo good. They took what was already a dope single and turned it into one of my favorite tracks of the year. Jadakiss' verse, the bassline and progression on Eddie Kane, Q's verses, whew

I just started grinning when they throw some synth into the Eddie Kane track. that shit progresses so smoothly.

Gotta disagree on Tookie Knows 1 > 2 though. The new one just feels like a pure old school gangster rap song.

BoomTrap-Volume-4-ARTWORK-450x450.jpg

!llmind - BoomTrap Vol. 4.

Cam'Ron ft. Juelz Santana - Oh Yeah video.

Gang of songs coming out today about police violence:

Young Buck - Riot.
Z Ro x Mike Dean - No Justice No Peace.
Mistah F.A.B. - 6 Shots.
DJ Greg Street ft. Akon, B.o.B., & Big K.R.I.T. - I Am Somebody.
Swizz Beatz ft. Scarface - Sad News.

Some are cheesier than others, but overall, I surprisingly enjoyed all of these TBH.

Echoing everyone else's impressions on this. Great overall though.

I thought Jay's flow was off on each feature he had this year, I thought it was perfect on this song, never wavered from the beat once, rose with the piano, sped up with the empty parts, went with the dips, everything was perfect.

On a side note the first verse is top ten Jay verse worry imo.

Hitta93

Banned
Hmmm, Blank Face could use some trimming
Can't agree here.

That Part, Whateva U Want, and Overtime can go. Dope Dealer's on the edge too.

EDIT: Big Body is first ballot cut though, how could I leave that out.

On HnC I'd only cut Grooveline and Sex Drive.

Tookie Knows >>>> Tookie Knows II btw, even though the first one is basically a bunch of adlibbing.
Druggy wit Hoes Again is auto skip.

Gotta disagree on Tookie Knows 1 > 2 though. The new one just feels like a pure old school gangster rap song.

Tookie Knows II is cool, I don't dislike it, but eh. Traffic + TF's verses are just kinda there. Plus Overtime right before that...... eeehhhhh. They're basically bonus tracks with the way TorcH and Blank Face (title track) bookend the album.

Anyway I'm just happy to say it's a good album. The highs are really high and production is mostly great throughout. It's not as psychedelic and dark/trip-hoppy as HnC, which is why I STILL think that's the best TDE album, but it's a much better project than Oxymoron.

Druggy wit Hoes Again is auto skip.

Joo crazy. Beat's great, Ab-Soul pre-death, EXTRA PILLS

Eos

Damn y'all shitting on big body but I actually dig the track. I don't like Tyler but the beat is catchy. Quik would have made it better tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom