• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwixotik

I agree with y'all for the most part, but bad lyrics can be a deal breaker for me.

I was listening to Year of the Savage a few days ago for the first time and production, flow, and delivery were all good. Admittedly, I didn't finish the album but it seems like the dude can only talk about fucking bitches, doing drugs, anime, and how he's gonna fuck you up. That's all kinda standard in hip hop, but I feel like you have to put your soul into it lyrically or it falls flat for me. In terms of content. And I'm not saying don't rap about those things, but at least do it in a multifaceted way and make your persona interesting or your album is gonna bore me.

Young Thug gets a pass though because he makes me ask "who the fuck is this guy?" regardless of whatever he's saying

Production > Delivery = Flow >>> Lyrics.

I rather listen to some gibberish I vibe with than a hypocrite rapping offbeat.

Speaking of which, reminds me of the Cocteau Twins. Lyrics are literally nonsensical but their music is emotionally moving regardless.

Pet Sounds is definitely great. 1966 was such a good year for music, I'm not sure if Pet Sounds cracks the top 5 albums of that year though.

Love Pet Sounds though.

Coltrane's Ascension, Blonde On Blonde, fucking Revolver, and Wayne SHorter's Speak No Evil in the same year? Fucking hell.

Exodust

Banned
Speaking of the subject, I can definitely think of a rap artist that fails to engage me because he lacks all other elements: Tech N9ne. One of the great technicians, but his lyrics are mostly boring and his beats......blah blah blah. Kitsch to the nth degree.

That also perfectly describes Eminem.

Except that his flow and delivery fell off a long time ago.

Nabs

I'm not even going to say that Eminem's beats are bad. I'll just say his beat is bad, because they all sound the same.

Lyrics and production easily, with maybe an edge towards lyrics.
I can love how a song is produced as much as possible, but lyrics make the beats for me and make the songs stick.

Dereck

It's not even about which era of Hip-Hop is better, it's the lack of respect for any other decade of Hip-Hop as if the 2000s of Hip-Hop or the 80s of Hip-Hop for example was completely inconsequential in terms of pushing the genre forward.

And Vlad TV is always on some fuck shit.

It's not even about which era of Hip-Hop is better, it's the lack of respect for any other decade of Hip-Hop as if the 2000s of Hip-Hop or the 80s of Hip-Hop for example was completely inconsequential in terms of pushing the genre forward.

Lack of respect for the 80's always gets me. People who write off guys like fucking Rakim and Kane makes me grimace. Dudes brought a level of complexity unlike anything else. Kool Moe Dee should get more dues, as well.

Kwixotik

Yeah, every time I click a link to them I regret it

Expect fly-by-night rap listeners to tells you what's important in the genre brehs

?

Kwixotik

Its a driveby shitpost. I don't have to explain much

Fair enough. I'm kinda drunk so my reading comprehension is likely fucked.

Sidenote: I finished Blank Face a couple times and I can at least say none of the tracks are outright bad imo. Most of them are good, Groovy Tony is definitely the standout track to me. I'll have to give it a few more listens before I compare to HnC, but right now I think HnC had higher highs and lower lows in terms of my opinion on the songs. That's not to say Blank Face is average, but that in terms of overall rating it's at least competitive with HnC.

Ninja Dom

Wait, is there a new track that Kanye has added to TLOP? I've just seen a new track called Saint Pablo. I've never had that track as part of the album before.

illadelph

Production > Delivery > Flow > Lyrics

Lyrics are intolerable without good delivery, and flow is pretty much a necessity as well (which is somewhat present in everything save for a terrible poem). Production matters most because you can have a hot song with a dope beat and garbage lyrics, but not vice versa.

Lyrics are always what put something over the edge and make it transcendent after it's got everything else already.

This is pretty much how I feel. Great lyrics take something to another level, but the overall sound has to be in place already.

Hitta93

Banned
It's kind of crazy how Swizz has been able to adapt to this new style of hip hop.

Definitely one of the best producers in the last 5 years.

I'm definitely digging The Blank Face LP. There really is only one song on it that i would skip all the time and it's That Part. Not even necessarily the beat, it's mostly Kanye's verse that i find absolutely terrible, simply can't stand it. I am going to replace that with the remix.

Anyway, i was a little afraid that it would be 50/50 with this album. One half tracks like That Part and the other half tracks like Torch, John Muir and so on. That Part is what i consider trap and i simply can't stand modern day trap, i just can't. So i was quite relieved when i heard the rest of the songs and they really aren't like that at all. Production wise it's mostly great. I love Lord have Mercy and it's a bit of a shame it's so short. Not a bad song perse by any means but it is probably a song i will skip more often than not is Big Body. Just not feeling the production there.

Quite the surprise this one for me overall.

Tokubetsu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSK9mtdLwKE

cQ7ocJQ.gif

Ninja Dom

Ghostface Killah is Ghostface
Schoolboy Q is Blank Face

Ghostface is Pretty Tony
Schoolboy Q is Groovy Tony

Ghostface looks like Schoolboy Q
Schoolboy Q looks like Ghostface.

Hmmm....

Courage

Since we're halfway through the year (and don't think we've done this yet) what's your guys hip-hop top 10 looking like so far?

Mine in somewhat order:

Denzel Curry - Imperial
Schoolboy Q - Blank Face
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
Young Thug - Slime Season 3
Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
Elucid - Save Yourself
YG - Still Brazy
Lil Uzi Vert - Lil Uzi Vert vs. the World
Adamn Killa - Back 2 Ballin
Lil Yachty - Lil Boat

Koozek

In somewhat order:

̶J̶̶a̶̶m̶̶e̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶B̶̶l̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶-̶̶ ̶̶T̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶C̶̶o̶̶l̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶I̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶A̶̶n̶̶y̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶ (not Hip Hop, but my general #1, anyway)
Azizi Gibson - A New Life
Denzel Curry - Imperial
Future - Evol/Purple Reign
Post Malone - August 26th
Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book
Lil Duke - Uber
AHNONI - Hopelessness
Bas - Too High To Riot
Payroll Giovanni & Cardo - Big Bossin' Vol. 1

EDIT: LOL, I completely forgot about TLOP. Haven't listened to it anymore after 2 weeks or so.

Syntsui

Azizi Gibson - A New Life
Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book
Bankroll Mafia - TI and friends
Kevin Gates - Islah
Lil Duke - Uber
Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
YG - Still Brazy
Lil Uzi Vert - Lil Uzi Vert vs. the World
Schoolboy Q - Blank Face (growing more and more after each listen)

No order:

Open Mike Eagle & Paul White - Hella Personal Film Festival
Father - I'm A Piece of Shit - Father
Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered
YG - Still Brazy
Payroll Giovanni and Cardo - Big Bossin Vol 1
Lil Uzi Vert - Lil Uzi Vert Vs The World
Chance The Rapper - Coloring book
Schoolboy Q - Blank Face

Still a handful of albums that I need listen to

Status
Not open for further replies.