• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Q delivered. Blank Face is much improved and focused in comparison to Oxymoron. It still feels a tad long, but he's spitting with a lot of passion here and it has consistently great production. Not sure if it tops HnC but it's early so who gives a shit.

I think Torch might be a turn off to many right at the start but it's such a fucking perfect opener for this album. Seriously fits this album like Sacrilegious fit HnC.

Also, Sounwave brought his A game. TDE has insane in house talent.

Not sure if this was posted but if you didn't like Ye's verse...

THat Part (Black Hippy Remix)
This is better for sure, but I'll keep the Ye version. I enjoy his verse in a "bad it's catchy" way. Kdot, Rock, and Q really killed this. Thanks again Soulo.

overcast

Jaden Smith - LABOR V2

Anyone wanna talk about this new Jaden track?.. He cusses on it..

Kinda good though?
.png

Kwixotik

I've only gotten to track 6 on Blank Face, but I like what I hear so far. Already wanting to go back and listen to the first tracks again.

Blank Face is great. The production is really good and I really like how additional instrumentation further brings it alive. I thought the horns on Kno Ya Wrong were a sample but it's Terrace Martin. The guitars on the intro track come to mind as well. Not to mention the album has a lot of great, haunting vocal work. Even Kendrick Lamar is dope on this.

And Q just fits in great on nearly every track.

Courage

Love the way John Muir brings in the layered vocals/horns. Nice contrast to the dark synths and Q's rapping. Probably the most memorable track on here along with Groovy Tony/Eddie Kane.

Probably the second verse of Liquid Swords

"Cause niggas styles are old like Mark 5 sneakers
Lyrics are weak like clock radio speakers"

Definitely one of his best lines. I thought Labels was insanely creative and probably my pick, though the first verse of Gold and his verse on Duel of the Iron Mic to be among my favorites.

In regards to the new Schoolboy Q album....

I've listened to three songs aside from the singles overall, and yes, it seems like this album is going to one I really like. I think the production values of the album is really good, probably among its strengths overall. Schoolboy Q's delivery has always been the most underrated aspect, or at least the aspect of his music people talk about the least. It's a lot of fun to listen to.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Blank Face is my AOTY right now, hits all the right notes and Q really puts in 100% on this, production is ace too.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
There's nothing Future-esque about that flow, stop attributing every fast paced somewhat staccato rhyme scheme to Future

gaf is always being so future defensive, i was joking.

if anything that flow reminds me more og maco. jaden been putting in work though, i enjoyed that cool cafe tape from years ago.

Yup, Big Body is probably one of my favorite songs on the album. I didn't even realize Tyler produced it until I actually looked at the credits. though. I was expecting something on the line of, well, anything but funk influenced.

Makes sense

I knew he was influenced by the Neptunes, but most of his material that in which I could definitely detect those influences was subtle, and the music of those songs seemed very minor key. He should definitely play it straight more....if he can actually create music worth listening to after Cherry Bomb, which was a pretty mediocre album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lil Wayne - Heavenly Father (Prod. by Streetrunner).

“Heavenly Father” is a alternate version to “Pray To The Lord”. I produced this version to give the song more of a epic feel. The “Heavenly Father” track with just the hook featuring Lil Wayne later went on to become a Fat Joe song on The Darkside Vol. 1 album titled “Heavenly Father”. Here’s the mixed and mastered solo version of Lil Wayne’s “Heavenly Father”.

Tory Lanez dropped remixes of Controlla and
I Got The Keys
Controlla is fire and I Got The Keys is better than the original (not a big accomplishment).

I've been considering this question quite a bit, but for Gaf-Hop, what do you put the most importance on? Production, delivery, flow, or lyrics?

For me personally, I think you can obviously ask for every element, but lyrics by themselves pretty much don't mean anything without great delivery and good production behind your music. Still though, I tend to listen to, actually, put delivery and flow first, because I can forgive some meh beats if a rapper's technical skills and delivery is liquid smooth (though it can definitely bog down a song and bring it down to merely good, rather than amazing). Beats to me obviously though are almost as important. Lyrics are last, because you don't need to be a top notch lyricist to make affecting music. One of the most oddly moving rap songs of last year was Diamonds Dancing, because everything else except the lyrics (especially the music behind it) gave the song its emotional weight.

So Delivery>Flow>Production>>>>>>>Lyrics for me.

as much as we stan Future and Desiigner, you know damn sure we dont care about lyrics

Honestly? I think the lyrics of Panda aren't that bad, though it helps with his delivery and that awesome music behind. Besides, I've never been one to really disown simplistic lyrics if they have some sort of resonance, and a lot of songs with simplistic lyrics do.

Koozek

I've been considering this question quite a bit, but for Gaf-Hop, what do you put the most importance on? Production, delivery, flow, or lyrics?

For me personally, I think you can obviously ask for every element, but lyrics by themselves pretty much don't mean anything without great delivery and good production behind your music. Still though, I tend to listen to, actually, put delivery and flow first, because I can forgive some meh beats if a rapper's technical skills and delivery is liquid smooth (though it can definitely bog down a song and bring it down to merely good, rather than amazing). Beats to me obviously though are almost as important. Lyrics are last, because you don't need to be a top notch lyricist to make affecting music. One of the most oddly moving rap songs of last year was Diamonds Dancing, because everything else except the lyrics (especially the music behind it) gave the song its emotional weight.

Production>Delivery=Flow>>>>>>>>>Lyrics. When I was younger I loved lyrical and technical rap, nowadays I only care about creative, melodic flow. That's why Thugga is one of the most exciting things happening to Rap, imo.

EDIT: Let's be honest, most of the lyrical rap we loved back in the days doesn't really hold up to scrutinity in retrospect. Often it's dumb smart and shallow, or armchair politics.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Production > Delivery > Flow > Lyrics

Lyrics are intolerable without good delivery, and flow is pretty much a necessity as well (which is somewhat present in everything save for a terrible poem). Production matters most because you can have a hot song with a dope beat and garbage lyrics, but not vice versa.

Lyrics are always what put something over the edge and make it transcendent after it's got everything else already.

EDIT: Koozek knows what's up.

Exodust

Banned
Lyrics are great, I love good lyrics. I feel a lot of my problem with people describing what are good and bad lyrics is that they completely stick to shit such as subject matter or whether it has a message or not, which is kind of dumb. There are good lyrics that speak about something, sure(Some Chuck D and Ice Cube tracks come to mind). But honest truth good gangster lyrics or good swag lyrics are very different from that, and stand out on their own. If you just focus purely on lyrics with a message, it's how you end up stanning for trash like Immortal Technique.

But yeah, I'll take flow and delivery over it. Unless the lyrics are truly horrendous it doesn't matter.

I mean, 90% of rappers can't stay on topic for more than 2 bars at a time but lyrics have never mattered in terms of making a good song

A good song has to have good Production, delivery and flow so the lyrics can be nonesense or gibberish but it wouldn't make a difference.

What makes a song truly special to me? is when the lyrics are on the same level or higher than the other factors. That's what makes the best artists the best, you can take something away from their works.

Speaking of the subject, I can definitely think of a rap artist that fails to engage me because he lacks all other elements: Tech N9ne. One of the great technicians, but his lyrics are mostly boring and his beats......blah blah blah. Kitsch to the nth degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom