• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Honestly saw it on your list only.
Uhm:
Azizi Gibson - A New Life
Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book
Young Thug - Slime Season 3
Bankroll Mafia - TI and friends
Kevin Gates - Islah
Lil Duke - Uber
Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
YG - Still Brazy
Lil Uzi Vert - Lil Uzi Vert vs. the World
Schoolboy Q - Blank Face (growing more and more after each listen)

No order:

Open Mike Eagle & Paul White - Hella Personal Film Festival
Father - I'm A Piece of Shit - Father
Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered
YG - Still Brazy
Payroll Giovanni and Cardo - Big Bossin Vol 1
Lil Uzi Vert - Lil Uzi Vert Vs The World
Chance The Rapper - Coloring book
Schoolboy Q - Blank Face

Still a handful of albums that I need listen to

Q - blank face
Kanye - tlop
Chance - coloring book
Denzel Curry - imperial
Young thug - slime season 3
No ordrr
All I got right now, I still have a ton of releases to listen to

In no particular order:

Future - Evol
Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered
Elucid - Save Yourself
$ha Hef - Krime Pay$
Schoolboy Q - Blank Face
DJ Esco - E.T.
Chance - Coloring Book
YG - Still Brazy

Also, not sure if these count as strictly hip-hop but whatever:

Anderson Paak - Malibu
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit

T Dollarz

Alright here it is, in no particular order:

Azizi Gibson - A New Life
Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
Denzel Curry - Imperial
Future - Purple Reign
Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
Lil Yachty - Lil Boat
Post Malone - August 26th
Schoolboy Q - Blank Face
Young Thug - Slime Season 3

My top projects so far (no order)
Schoolboy Q Blankface LP
Anderson Paak Malibu
James Blake The Colour In Anything
Kanye West The Life of Pablo
Chance The Rapper Coloring Book
Curren$y Carrollton Heist
Beyonce Lemonade
Future Purple Reign
Kendrick Lamar Untitled Unmastered
Flatbush Zombies 3001 A Laced Odyssey
French Montana Wave Gods

IrishNinja

everything with black people ain't hip hop

leon.png

am i wrong for not liking malibu but thinking paak is good on features? that album was insufferable for me

I don't think it was terrible, but I do think it wasn't as good as .Paak can be. Then again, the videos of him performing them live are awesome. So they might just be better as pieces for a concert.

The NxWorries album should be good if that ever comes out.

Vorheez

I'm on Kno Ya Wrong and other than Groovy Tony, Blank Face is boring as hell so far. These beats are for old farts and hipsters.

WHERE ARE THE BANGERS

Edit: yeah this is weird, he's clearly going for some kind of spaced out chill sound and I don't like it. The beats lack a serious amount of energy. I want them to be up front and in your face because Schoolboy is best when he's aggressive, not when he's laid back. The album art and initial vibe of Groovy Tony made it seem like this album would be dark. What happened?

Vorheez

Still brazy a snooze fest
Nah, only if the person listening to it is about as exciting as a piece of toast. Still Brazy is full of energy and is FUN to listen to. Blank Face has like, 4-5 good songs. Album was boring as hell after John Muir.

Vorheez

Still Brazy a snore fest through being repeating, and Blank Face is quite eclectic.
I can definitely agree that YG sticks to his sound, but I don't see that as a bad thing. When I buy an artist's record, I'm buying a product. I expect the product to sound a certain way. The most successful artists see themselves as brands, selling a particular sound, so that when you buy their albums you get what you paid for. YG does what he does very well, and his album was exactly what I wanted, so therefore I'm happy with it and consider it a great record.

Schoolboy Q has no clue what his sound is and how to market himself. I don't think anyone denies that Q is at his best over menacing beats. Even Q knows this, because he frequently selects those tracks to represent himself, so why is his album all over the damn place? The product I bought does not represent what Q conveyed it would sound like in his imagery and singles. Groovy Tony and Dope Dealer are anomalies on the album, and easily amongst the best songs. Not a coincidence. I paid for an entire album of that, not this spaced out deep thought emotional crap that he is TRYING to force himself into. Q needs to acknowledge his niche, and stick to it. He'll be more successful that way. Find a consistent sound that works for you and let your personality separate you from other artists.

Oh, also, I'm aware that artists want to experiment and evolve, but save that shit for your mixtapes and throwaways. LPs should be a compilation of what the artist does BEST, like Still Brazy. If you're doing these experimental tracks and you know someone else is doing it better, what business does it have on the record? It messes with how cohesive the album feels. I hate putting on an album and having to skip all over the place to find the handul of similarly themed tracks and never listening to the others. I can listen to Still Brazy from front to back and enjoy it all because YG sticks to his sound.

HiResDes

We're gonna have to agree to disagree, Q has more range than you're giving him credit for as we've seen on deep cuts like Prescription Drugs, when an artist pigeonholes themself into such a small cookie cutter box there albums begin to become completely predictable and sound stale. There should be growth if you wanna hear part two of one of their old albums just listen to that old album. YGs album will prove to be about as replayable as State of Emergency on the PS2. There are dozens of artists making albums that sound like complete analogues of Still Brazy, but he gets a break because no one listens to West Coast shit unless it's overhyped and overly cosigned. It ain't nothing special but people pretend like it is because it's the only WC shit they'll listen to all year and they enjoy the yearly reminder that the shit still exists, which is fine.

HiiiLife

I can definitely agree that YG sticks to his sound, but I don't see that as a bad thing. When I buy an artist's record, I'm buying a product. I expect the product to sound a certain way. The most successful artists see themselves as brands, selling a particular sound, so that when you buy their albums you get what you paid for. YG does what he does very well, and his album was exactly what I wanted, so therefore I'm happy with it and consider it a great record.

Schoolboy Q has no clue what his sound is and how to market himself. I don't think anyone denies that Q is at his best over menacing beats. Even Q knows this, because he frequently selects those tracks to represent himself, so why is his album all over the damn place? The product I bought does not represent what Q conveyed it would sound like in his imagery and singles. Groovy Tony and Dope Dealer are anomalies on the album, and easily amongst the best songs. Not a coincidence. I paid for an entire album of that, not this spaced out deep thought emotional crap that he is TRYING to force himself into. Q needs to acknowledge his niche, and stick to it. He'll be more successful that way. Find a consistent sound that works for you and let your personality separate you from other artists.

Oh, also, I'm aware that artists want to experiment and evolve, but save that shit for your mixtapes and throwaways. LPs should be a compilation of what the artist does BEST, like Still Brazy. If you're doing these experimental tracks and you know someone else is doing it better, what business does it have on the record? It messes with how cohesive the album feels. I hate putting on an album and having to skip all over the place to find the handul of similarly themed tracks and never listening to the others. I can listen to Still Brazy from front to back and enjoy it all because YG sticks to his sound.

Still Brazy AOTY.

x Misogi

Ghostface Killah is Ghostface
Schoolboy Q is Blank Face

Ghostface is Pretty Tony
Schoolboy Q is Groovy Tony

Ghostface looks like Schoolboy Q
Schoolboy Q looks like Ghostface.

Hmmm....
he did say originally he was gonna title the Album GhostFace and that Groovy Tony was based off Pretty Tony, so it aint far off

I can't imagine telling an artist he or she should stay in a box I define. What the hell? Artists shouldn't experiment and discuss personal issues to them?

BKLP is incredibly dark from beginning to end. The lyrical content revisits dark times of his life, just as his previous album discussed his drug addiction. He's not "forcing" anything, this is who he is.

If anyone on TDE forced something it's Jay Rock with 90059. Not only was the marketing for the album dominated by the CEO's Twitter threats, the album became a vehicle for the label's upcoming signee (Lance Skiiwalker), who happens to be wack. I feel bad for Jay Rock. Whereas I salute Q for getting it right.

Celph titled lol. I remember finding JMT and AOTP songs freshman year of HS.

I blame Lupe.
It never ceases to amaze me how that circle of peers all went from stereotypical nerd rappers to "harcore underground emcees."

JMT went from religious space aliens to biblical goons. Or at least that's what they were before I stopped checking for them.

Hip Hop

It's mind boggling that Lord Have Mercy on Q's album is 1:44 seconds.

This could have been a top tier track, one of my fav this year even. The time is such a detriment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom