• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Yo, so I checked out Still Brazy after you all talked about it. It's a nice, easy listen. A few groovy joints on there. Never listened to YG before. For some reason I always thought he was some wack Young Money signing or something like that, lol.

Is he still trying to be a second rate wario or shinobi?

bvzcddi4fpgw.png

HiiiLife

Yo, so I checked out Still Brazy after you all talked about it. It's a nice, easy listen. A few groovy joints on there. Never listened to YG before. For some reason I always thought he was some wack Young Money signing or something like that, lol.

bvzcddi4fpgw.png

Check My Krazy Life now.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Still brazy is for people like me who used to buy b-legit and celly cel albums. If you weren't into that non deathrow west coast rap I'm the 90's you aren't going to like anything yg does.
Also I gotta say yg has significantly improved as a rapper between my krazy life and still brazy. He's still not impressive by any means but he's learned to stay on beat and flow better than he used to.

Blank face is definitely more subdued than I expected from q, I like aggressive schoolboy and the production is little less in your face than I usually like from him. But it's also interesting and varied and I can see it growing on me.

Cheddahz

Banned
- still brazy and blank face are both great
- the e-40 verse on "dope dealer" is dope as well
- the kanye verse on "that part" isn't great, but it's fun and it carefree
- the nolan the ninja album is cool as well

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Still Brazy is a smooth first listen, with little to no desire to return to any of those songs. Makes it forgettable in my eyes. All of the emulation of 90s west coast with not nearly as much charisma or presence. No big records either. My Krazy Life had like 4-5 absolutely timeless BANGERS. You can listen to I Just Wanna Party today and it bangs like it did the first time you listen to it.

Dunno how I feel about Blank Face yet. Like YG, I don't think it has any Druggies Wit Hoes or Man of the Year, or hell, even Prescription/Oxymoron/Sacreligious/Break The Bank type standout records. It feels more well put together, perhaps more sonically cohesive than all of his previous efforts.

I typically like Q hyperaggressive (Nightmare on Figg St., Fuck LA, Brand New Guy) and there seems to be less of that and the introspective records I listed above on here. The album is good, though. Highlights for me are probably THat Part, Groovy Tony / Eddie Kane, Str8 Ballin, JoHn Muir, and Tookie Knows II. Big Body is too goofy and cheesy for me. I like the beat to WHatever You Want because it reminds me of another beat that I can't think of ATM.

Ranking is hard, but I'm still probably HnC > Oxymoron > Blank Face > Setbacks.

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me, Cheddahz. That E-40 verse alone might knock it below Setbacks. So fucking garbage, even by E-40's standards.

Top 2 album moments:

- When Eddie Kane starts going off
lawd.png

- When E-40 is about to start spitting and you perfectly skip to right after his verse is over
lawd.png

IrishNinja

wish PD was about, wanted to ask what's a good hip hop podcast? ive heard combat jack, not sure what's a good starting point to see if i dig his shit though

my girl gets that satellite radio and just listening to dudes like ed lover get artists on to talk about shit can be mad interesting, been thinking about it since that stretch & bobbito docu

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
wish PD was about, wanted to ask what's a good hip hop podcast? ive heard combat jack, not sure what's a good starting point to see if i dig his shit though

my girl gets that satellite radio and just listening to dudes like ed lover get artists on to talk about shit can be mad interesting, been thinking about it since that stretch & bobbito docu
Depends on who you can tolerate TBH. People have strong opinions about various personalities and that's probably your best metric.

My favourite is Juan Epstein, self-proclaimed longest running rap podcast and it's usually dives into hip hop history in depth. Some people can't tolerate Rosenberg or Cipha Sounds but I like their back and forth and they extract gems from artists every episode. Plus, you can jump into whatever artists interest you. The Jay Z one is probably the best episode (Jay and Ciph have known each other for a long, long time), The-Dream one runner up.

Haven't checked it out, but I assume Dead End Hip Hop's podcast is good based on their reputation and YT content. I think they focus more on current happenings/discussions.

What little I've listened to of A Waste of Time has been good, then again I've always though the It's The Real guys have been funny and based on reception elsewhere, I assume a lot of people are just not tryna hear two jokey white, jewish dudes talk about rap. People already don't like Rosenberg even though he mostly stays in his lane.

IrishNinja

Depends on who you can tolerate TBH. People have strong opinions about various personalities and that's probably your best metric.

My favourite is Juan Epstein, self-proclaimed longest running rap podcast and it's usually dives into hip hop history in depth. Some people can't tolerate Rosenberg or Cipha Sounds but I like their back and forth and they extract gems from artists every episode. Plus, you can jump into whatever artists interest you. The Jay Z one is probably the best episode (Jay and Ciph have known each other for a long, long time), The-Dream one runner up.

Haven't checked it out, but I assume Dead End Hip Hop's podcast is good based on their reputation and YT content. I think they focus more on current happenings/discussions.

What little I've listened to of A Waste of Time has been good, then again I've always though the It's The Real guys have been funny and based on reception elsewhere, I assume a lot of people are just not tryna hear two jokey white, jewish dudes talk about rap. People already don't like Rosenberg even though he mostly stays in his lane.

appreciate it enzoes, ill check out that first one - definitely looking for history stuff as part of the formula

Koozek

- Rap Radar Podcast (Elliott Wilson and B.Dot)

- The Champs (with Neal Brennan, who co-created and co-wrote Chappelle's Show) is hilarious and had a few really dope episodes with Hip Hop guests, too, like:

IrishNinja

The best hiphop podcast is drink champs. Rapradar gets good guests but fuck Elliot Wilson.

Combat jack fell off.

keep hearing that, what exactly happened? coli dudes were saying he's just feeling the pressure of the competition these days, but nothing specific

awesome post man, good looks

m3k

anyone listen to dave east stuff... i saw a few people talk about him online and took a guess on straight out of harlem... any suggestions?

also im catching up on stuff and got slime season 2 as mu first try at listening to a thugga lp... a few tracks in and it hasnt clicked. any song suggestions?

Detox

keep hearing that, what exactly happened? coli dudes were saying he's just feeling the pressure of the competition these days, but nothing specific

awesome post man, good looks
The guests aren't as good, combat is feeling himself too much with his success, I'm tired of hearing cocaine was better in the 80s and a bit of old man trying too hard to be hip.

Also Nore levelled up the podcast game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've listened to clips of Drink Champs and N.O.R.E. is just too damn charismatic.

I've always been on the fence about Combat Jack because he kind of always treats himself like some higher authority/wise man/elder statesman of this rap shit.

B.Dot is a cool dude, but I can't take Elliot Wilson for long periods of time.

Basically I prefer more laid back, calmer personalities but you can get more raucous stuff with DEHH & Drink Champs.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Gucci used to be a perfect example of what is shitty about rap, but at this point in a sea of fetty waps and makkonens and post malones and lil yung whothefuckevers, he is practically God tier in comparison.
Gimme that gucci, I've become a fan by default.

Gucci used to be a perfect example of what is shitty about rap, but at this point in a sea of fetty waps and makkonens and post malones and lil yung whothefuckevers, he is practically God tier in comparison.

Eh, I still think Gucci is among my least favorites in that regard, alongside Rick Ross.

Hitta93

Banned

Nah.

m3k

Honestly don't think East is worth the listen until he can become a better songwriter.

With that said, Cut It Eastmix is piff.

cheers, cut it eastmix is next...

nore interviews on breakfast club etc were always good make some mother fuckin noise for guerilla podcasting

illadelph

this perfectly describes how I've been feeling lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom